Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Abby Normal 33 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Trevor Marriott 1 hour and 4 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 1 hour and 6 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Abby Normal 2 hours ago.
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - by PaulB 3 hours ago.
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - by Herlock Sholmes 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (38 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (21 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - (9 posts)
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - (6 posts)
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - (2 posts)
General Discussion: Do you think it will be solved? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Mary Jane Kelly

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #151  
Old 04-17-2012, 02:34 AM
Garry Wroe Garry Wroe is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra A View Post
Fourteen men with the surname Johnston or variations come up in an initial search of men attested to the Scots Guards (all Battalions) between 1868-1888, including a Henry and a Harry.
I will have to look through the whole file on each of them to be able to narrow down which of them were actually serving in the 2nd Battalion in 1888.
Many thanks, Debra. It's a shame, though, that the evidence is indicative of Johnto being a paramour rather than a family member. With the Johnston lead it might have been possible to identify the real Kelly. Still, maybe some day.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 04-17-2012, 03:43 AM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,629
Default

According to McCarthy, Mary used to receive letters from her mother in Ireland, Limerick(?).
According to Barnett the father & Mary ended up in Wales.
One brother, Henry, was in the army.
One sister who travelled the markets, where, in Ireland?
And six brothers, where, also in Ireland?

We have no clear indication how the family was split, but taking these 2nd hand sources at face value, it appears the family had separated.
There is no reason to assume the entire family moved to Wales, especially when we are living in times where men were known to travel to find work.
Mary, possibly the eldest also went with her father to Wales, to be betrothed to a collier?

We might be failing to find confirmation of the Kelly family existing as a whole in either Ireland or Wales, because, once again, we are assuming too much.
Maybe the family was not complete in Wales. Did they have relatives in Wales, is this why the father takes his eldest(?) daughter and moves to find work while living with relatives?

There are so many possibilities I don't think it advisable to invent scenario's until all possible alternate solutions have been pursued.

Regards, Jon S.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.

Last edited by Wickerman : 04-17-2012 at 03:47 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 04-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Debra A Debra A is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Yorkshire England
Posts: 3,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
According to McCarthy, Mary used to receive letters from her mother in Ireland, Limerick(?).
According to Barnett the father & Mary ended up in Wales.
One brother, Henry, was in the army.
One sister who travelled the markets, where, in Ireland?
And six brothers, where, also in Ireland?

We have no clear indication how the family was split, but taking these 2nd hand sources at face value, it appears the family had separated.
There is no reason to assume the entire family moved to Wales, especially when we are living in times where men were known to travel to find work.
Mary, possibly the eldest also went with her father to Wales, to be betrothed to a collier?

We might be failing to find confirmation of the Kelly family existing as a whole in either Ireland or Wales, because, once again, we are assuming too much.
Maybe the family was not complete in Wales. Did they have relatives in Wales, is this why the father takes his eldest(?) daughter and moves to find work while living with relatives?

There are so many possibilities I don't think it advisable to invent scenario's until all possible alternate solutions have been pursued.

Regards, Jon S.
Although, Jon, it wasn't just one brother Henry in the army,it was specifically a brother in the 2nd battalion Scots Guards.
This information from Barnett would undoubtedly have resulted in the Metropolitan Police making inquiries with the Scots Guards and having access to their records. It can't be as simple as her brother was named Henry Kelly (or even John) or the police would have located him immediately?
__________________
,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸, Debs ,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,

I am not DJA. He's called Dave.

Last edited by Debra A : 04-17-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 04-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Debra A Debra A is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Yorkshire England
Posts: 3,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogidubnus View Post
Which in itself is interesting for obvious reasons. ie Unless he's a Scots Guards Enthusiast (extremely dubious!) how does he know...only likely answer...Mary told him, which comes close to proving at least part of his testimony. (I'm sure I heard or read that somewhere before, incidentally, and wouldn't want you to think I'm claiming it's an original thought!)

Dave
Hi Dave,
I suppose he could possibly have read about their move to Ireland in the papers the same way we can today? The 2nd Battalion had been in London from c July 87 to Sept. 88, so their move to Dublin was widely reported and they left with maybe a small amount of ceremony I would guess?
If MJK had already told Barnett about her brother in the Scots Guards, Barnett may have just spotted and remembered the news in the papers as it would have been both relevant and interesting news for MJK?
__________________
,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸, Debs ,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,

I am not DJA. He's called Dave.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 04-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Debra A Debra A is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Yorkshire England
Posts: 3,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Wroe View Post
Many thanks, Debra. It's a shame, though, that the evidence is indicative of Johnto being a paramour rather than a family member. With the Johnston lead it might have been possible to identify the real Kelly. Still, maybe some day.
I think it's one of those interesting things to keep in mind, anyway, Garry. Perhaps something will come up in the future, who knows?
__________________
,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸, Debs ,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,

I am not DJA. He's called Dave.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 04-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Garry Wroe Garry Wroe is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,572
Default

It's certainly a possibility, Debra, but a slender one. I've long been convinced that Kelly was living under as assumed name and that much of what she told Barnett and others was fictional. It's not just that her family failed to come forward (which is strange in itself), but not a single one of her childhood associates, teachers or neighbours recognized her from the biographical information published at the time of her death. Thus her family name couldn't have been Kelly and there is virtually no chance that the real Mary Jane will ever be identified.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 04-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Garry Wroe Garry Wroe is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
According to McCarthy, Mary used to receive letters from her mother in Ireland, Limerick(?).
He believed as much, Jon, but since McCarthy never saw the actual letters we have no proof that ‘Mrs Kelly’ either remained in Ireland or corresponded with her daughter.

Quote:
We have no clear indication how the family was split, but taking these 2nd hand sources at face value, it appears the family had separated.
Again, this is an assumption based upon the unsupported conjecture of Jack McCarthy. There is no evidence of a fragmented family. Indeed, if there was any truth in Kelly’s biographical claims, her sister lived and worked with an aunt, which would imply that the aunt was a part of the relocation from Ireland to Wales. If so, the family appears to have stuck together rather than fractured as you are suggesting.

Quote:
Maybe the family was not complete in Wales. Did they have relatives in Wales, is this why the father takes his eldest(?) daughter and moves to find work while living with relatives?
The evidence, Jon, for what it’s worth, is that the entire Kelly family relocated to Wales.

Quote:
There are so many possibilities I don't think it advisable to invent scenario's until all possible alternate solutions have been pursued.
In which case, Jon, you might care to take your own advice. The simple fact of the matter is that the letters received from Ireland could not have come from Mary Jane’s mother. Even if we disregard the reality that she was almost certainly living in Wales at the time, the correspondent knew Kelly’s name and address. Had this been her mother, she would have come forward the moment she heard of her daughter’s death. She didn’t. And nor did anyone else. Thus it is highly unlikely that any family member knew her address or even the area of London in which she was living.

You appear to believe that myself and others are indulging in wild speculation. Not so. The Irish correspondence is a reality. Since it couldn’t have emanated from a family member, it must have come from someone else. Thus any research into Johnto of the Scots Guards is not only legitimate, it is essential if we are ever to make sense of what was Kelly’s demonstrably spurious personal history.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 04-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Cogidubnus Cogidubnus is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: West Sussex UK
Posts: 3,145
Default

Hi Garry

Whilst I agree with much of what you say, (including of course the necessity to "tie up" Johnto, as far as this may be possible), do we not, though, have the "City Missionary" report in the Daily News of 12th November 1888, which is at least suggestive of some limited contact with family members in Ireland?

My own inclination would be towards a combination of "legitimate" and "illegitimate" family correspondence...after all, there doesn't seem to be any real evidence either way, so far, to say where they all were by 1888....

Respectfully

Dave
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 04-18-2012, 02:07 AM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra A View Post
Although, Jon, it wasn't just one brother Henry in the army,it was specifically a brother in the 2nd battalion Scots Guards.
Yes Debs, and Henry could have joined up in Dublin. Even if he did visit Mary once, it could have been from a deployment in England. This so-called nickname "Ianto/Yanto" is Welsh, but there's no reason to think Henry was ever in Wales. Thats a modern assumption.

Mary only mentions her father & herself in Wales, and the fact she associated with a cousin in Cardiff. I would speculate the Kelly's might have moved to Wales to stay with their relatives in the Cardiff/Carmarthen area.

Quote:
This information from Barnett would undoubtedly have resulted in the Metropolitan Police making inquiries with the Scots Guards and having access to their records.
And you think they couldn't find him? What reason do we have to suppose the police didn't locate him? If Henry was deployed in Dublin they may have wired their contemporaries at the Dublin Met. to make enquiries on their behalf?

Quote:
It can't be as simple as her brother was named Henry Kelly (or even John) or the police would have located him immediately?
They could have, what are you assuming should have happened that you think didn't?

Just suppose for a moment that brother Henry did show up for her funeral, who do you think he is required to announce his presence to, and why?
And if he did, who do you think is going to be pressured to pay for this funeral?

Debs, I did spend some time researching the Zulu Wars.
In the 19th century, something of the order of 1 in every 100 men enlisted under a false name.
Example, the last survivor from Rorkes Drift who carried the VC medal was pvt. John Williams, but his real name was John Fielding. The military did not ask for your real name, but you kept your chosen name for the duration of your service.

So, don't be too surprised if you cannot locate a Henry/John Kelly who fits the profile, it really does not mean anything is suspicious. Its just another stumbling block the real world throws at us.

If Henry enlisted under another name, he would never have known about sis being murdered, at least not through official channels.

All the best, Jon S.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.

Last edited by Wickerman : 04-18-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 04-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Debra A Debra A is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Yorkshire England
Posts: 3,120
Default

Quote:
Yes Debs, and Henry could have joined up in Dublin. Even if he did visit Mary once, it could have been from a deployment in England. This so-called nickname "Ianto/Yanto" is Welsh, but there's no reason to think Henry was ever in Wales. Thats a modern assumption.
The 2nd battalion Scots Guards were in London from Jul 87 ( Barnett met Mary earlier that same year)and left for Dublin in Sept. 88. Are you saying part of the 2nd Battalion could have been in Dublin before Sept 88, while the rest were in London, Jon? This is a genuine question I am curious about as looking at the records, so far, all seem to have been in London in 87 and 88 and Dublin in late 88. If the battalion wasn't split then it would seem odd to enlist in Dublin in Sept 88 and instantly get leave to visit England before the beginning of November 88.

Stop with the Ianto!!! It isn't my argument.
You don't know that Henry also living in Wales is a modern assumption,you have no idea what was assumed by the police in 1888 if they had the same info from Barnett that is left to us. Barnett's statements are not specific either way.


Quote:
And you think they couldn't find him? What reason do we have to suppose the police didn't locate him? If Henry was deployed in Dublin they may have wired their contemporaries at the Dublin Met. to make enquiries on their behalf?

Quote:
They could have, what are you assuming should have happened that you think didn't?
I would expect something to be mentioned in the files if they had contacted her family, but we don't have one measley mention. Tracing family and associates is important in a murder investigation, it wasn't as simple as wanting to find someone to pay for the funeral. I would assume that the Met. police were at least as thorough in tracing MJKs family as they had been in other murder cases.

Quote:
Just suppose for a moment that brother Henry did show up for her funeral, who do you think he is required to announce his presence to, and why?
Like I said above, it was a murder investigation. I've seen other Victorian murder files where practically the whole family tree of the victim was traced and recorded in case the background of the victim held any clues.

Quote:
Debs, I did spend some time researching the Zulu Wars.
In the 19th century, something of the order of 1 in every 100 men enlisted under a false name.
Example, the last survivor from Rorkes Drift who carried the VC medal was pvt. John Williams, but his real name was John Fielding. The military did not ask for your real name, but you kept your chosen name for the duration of your service.
But how common is that compared to the number of Whitechapel unfortunates who gave false names?

Anyway, you still haven't answered my earlier question on why we have no mention in the inquest reporting in the papers of what name Henry was known as by his comrades in the Scots Guards. You claim it's significant they don't mention 'Johnto' as recorded by Abberline , but neither do any of the papers report that Henry's comrades called him John. These comrades are not mentioned at all.
__________________
,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸, Debs ,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,

I am not DJA. He's called Dave.

Last edited by Debra A : 04-18-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.