No announcement yet.

Believe SOME of what you read... and...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Believe SOME of what you read... and...

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on the following from the Star newspaper, from the Wiki within Casebook.

All sentence emphasis is of my making.

The Star
    LONDON. SATURDAY, 10 NOVEMBER, 1888.

After the murder of Mary Kelly,

Mr. John McCarthy, the owner of the house in Miller's-court, has given the following

FACTS AS TO THE MURDERED WOMAN.

"She was about 23 or 24 years of age, and lived with a coal porter named Kelly, passing as his wife. They, however, quarrelled some time back and separated. A woman named Harvey slept with her several nights since Kelly separated from her, but she was not with her last night. The deceased's Christian name was Mary Jane, and since her murder I have discovered that she walked the streets in the neighborhood of Aldgate. Her habits were irregular, and she often came home at night the worse for drink. Her mother lives in Ireland, but in what county I do not know. Deceased used to receive letters from her occasionally." McCarthy adds that when he looked through the window, after Bowyer called him, he saw on the table what seemed to be lumps of flesh. When the police inspector came he sent a telegram to Sir Charles Warren

Then later in a special edition... an article not attributed to McCarthy

THE VICTIM.

The woman murdered in Spitalfields yesterday was born in Limerick, her name being Marie Jeanette Kelly. Her parents removed from Limerick to Carmarthen, and here the deceased married a collier whose name is believed to be Davies. He, however, was killed in a colliery explosion, and the deceased woman then lived an ill life at Cardiff, afterwards removing to London. Her parents are still living in Wales.

then...in the Evening news.. the interview with Caroline Maxwell.

Evening News
    London, U.K.
    10 November 1888

Mrs. Caroline Mapwell,(sic) of 14 Dorset street, the wife of a night watchman at Commercial Chambers, a common lodging house able to shelter 244 persons, and which is opposite the scene of the murder, said: "I have known the murdered woman well for the past six months. This (Friday) morning, as near as possible about half past eight, I saw Mary Jane (the murdered woman) standing outside the court. I said, "What brings you out so early, Mary Jane," and she answered, "I feel very queer. I cannot sleep. I have the horrors of the drink on me, as I have been drinking this last day or two." I said, "Well, I pity you, " and passed on. I then went to Bishopsgate; and on my return, just after nine o'clock, I saw Mary Jane talking to a man at the end of the street. Who he was I do not know. He was a short, stout man, about fifty years of age. I did not notice what he had on, but I saw that he wore a kind of plaid coat. I then went indoors to go to bed, as I had been on duty all night. Mary Jane (I only know her by that name) was a pleasant little woman, rather stout, fair complexion, and rather pale. I should say her age was be about 23. I had no idea she was an unfortunate, for I never saw her with any one, nor have I ever seen her drunk. She was a very quiet young woman, and had been in the neighbourhood about two years. She spoke with a kind of impediment. She belonged, I think, to Limerick, and had evidently been well connected.

then, same newspaper, same day
    JOSEPH BARNET'S STATEMENT

Joseph Barnet, an Irishman, at present residing in a common lodging house in New street, Bishopsgate, stated that he had occupied his present lodgings since Tuesday week. Previous to that he had lived in Miller's court, Dorset street, for eight or nine months with the murdered woman, Mary Jane Kelly. They were very happy and comfortable until another woman came to sleep in their room, to which he strongly objected. Finally, after the woman had been there two or three nights, he quarrelled with Kelly, and left her. The next day, however, he returned, and have her money. He called several other days, and gave her money when he had it. On Thursday night he visited her between half past seven and eight, and told her he was sorry he had no money to give her. He saw nothing more of her. He was indoors when he heard that a woman had been murdered in Dorset street, but voluntarily went to the police, who after questioning him, satisfied themselves that his statements were correct, and therefore released him. Barnet believed Kelly was an Irishwoman.

Now... I KNOW that we must be very wary of newspaper reports. I know. But can I ask you all to for a short while, believe the following from the FIRST statement by McCarthy...

She was about 23 or 24 years of age, and lived with a coal porter named Kelly, passing as his wife......The deceased's Christian name was Mary Jane....I have discovered that she walked the streets in the neighborhood of Aldgate......Her mother lives in Ireland, but in what county I do not know. Deceased used to receive letters from her occasionally."

Right. That tells me this. KELLY was NOT her last name. It is an assumed name. She wasn't about 25, she was 23 or 24. Her mother lived in Ireland, (father not mentioned) NOT in Wales. She used to GET LETTERS from her mother. Err, surely if you put those two things together, the letters were from Ireland? Or is that presumption crazy?

Now believe Mrs Maxwells statement....

"I have known the murdered woman well for the past six months....Mary Jane (I only know her by that name) was a pleasant little woman, rather stout, fair complexion, and rather pale. I should say her age was be about 23....She spoke with a kind of impediment. She belonged, I think, to Limerick, and had evidently been well connected.

That tells me she was 23, known for 6 months, and that her name was Mary Jane. Spoke with a kind of impediment? What kind of impediment? That tells me that this woman was recognisable by her infliction.

Now believe Joseph Barnets statement...

.....he had lived in Miller's court, Dorset street, for eight or nine months with the murdered woman, Mary Jane Kelly.....Barnet believed Kelly was an Irishwoman.

Compare that with the lines from Casebook...

Joseph met Mary Jane Kelly on April 8th, 1887, and the two decided soon after to room together at various locations for the next year and a half. By the time of the Ripper murders, they were living in 13 Miller's Court, Dorset Street.

Now, in the press statement, Barnet said he LIVED with her for 8 or 9 months and only BELIEVED her to be Irish? Umm, After 8 or 9 months living together, you KNOW if someone is Irish or not. It would be a fact. Not a belief.
    That to me, is a very strange comment. Put that together with the Casebook comment, having known her since April 1887 (17 months)....and the statement is VERY odd...he KNOWS that he is a very, very close source of info for the police and the press. So why just say he believed her to be Irish? Perhaps I am Nit-picking... but what if I'm not?...

These things tell me a possibility.

Mary Jane (BLANK), came from Limerick, her mother lived in Ireland. She was 23, spoke with a speech impediment, was known in the area, "worked Aldgate" (shades of Catharine Eddowes, Mitre Square, calling herself Mary Jane Kelly?) and, and it is a possibility, that Eddowes KNEW Mary Jane. Did they "work" the same patch?

I KNOW this is speculation. I know there are hundreds of newspaper reports with different details. But what if these details are true?

It means that Mary Jane Kelly WASN'T her name. It was her known name. Her age is 23 NOT 25. She was recognisable from a speech impediment. People would know who Mary Jane was because of that in the pubs. As soon as she opens her mouth to talk, she is different, and stands out. And Eddowes using an assumed name of Mary Jane Kelly in the same area Kelly "worked" her trade, is, to me, a bell ringer for her knowing Mary.
    And Barnet not KNOWING with certainty that "Kelly" was Irish, is very very odd.

best wishes

Phil
    Last edited by Phil Carter; 11-21-2009, 07:19 AM. Reason: spelling
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Hi Phil,

Thanks for that. Quite interesting. But you would think that Mrs. Maxwell when pressed by the police as to how well she knew Mary would mention the speech impediment but there is no record of that in police reports or the inquest is there?

c.d.

Comment

Hello CD,
      Thanks for the reply.
      Thats what I don't get. That speech impediment thing sticks out like a red rose on a white tablecloth. I don't know of that reference in a police file, no.
      However, we DO have to remember that the Police Files on Mary Jane's murder have things missing, don't we?

best wishes

Phil
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hello all again,

Re Eddowes and Mary Jane. If they DID know each other from working the same patch, is THAT the reason why Eddowes gave Kelly's name to the police in the first place?

Seems pretty logical to me.

best wishes

Phil
        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Phil,

I cant remember anyone saying Kelly had an Irish accent. I assume if she had lived in Ireland it would have been many years prviously - enough time for her accent to disappear. Barnett saying he "believed" Kelly to have been Irish may have simply repeated what he had been told by her. He himself may have had his doubts.

I myself have suspiscions that Kelly was not her last name. There is something in her self described family circumstances so untrue that not one member of her family recognised her from the press reports.

Comment

Jason,

Well, I believe that itself could POSSIBLY be the cause of a popular misconception. It was reported that Mary spoke FLUENT Welsh.
            IF true, it indicates a lengthy time spent in Wales, which indicates that she came over from Ireland at an early age. That meant she would be young enough for her to learn a new language well enough to have spoke it fluently.
            And certainly, her accent could possibly have been changed by living in Wales for any length of time of her young childhood.

best wishes

Phil
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Perhaps Mrs Maxwell mistook her accent for a speech impediment.If she had been living in Whitechappel for a while maybe she had tried to modify her accent deliberately or she started picking up a bit of an English accent

Comment

Ref the letters from Ireland. What sort of postmark would there have been back then? I mean would they have been stamped Ireland or did MJK tell him they were from Ireland?

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post
                  Perhaps Mrs Maxwell mistook her accent for a speech impediment.If she had been living in Whitechapel for a while maybe she had tried to modify her accent deliberately or she started picking up a bit of an English accent
                  Hello Belinda,

Yes, indeed, that is entirely possible. When I wrote the thread, I only asked that the three statements, of hundreds written and reported, be, for a short while, believed.
                  So I took each statement as fact, and on it's bare merit. In other words, IF Mary Jane did have a speech impediment, then Maxwell, and others, would know her across the room without looking, but hearing. That makes our view of Mary change totally.

Given the name swap Eddowes came out with, and that they could both have worked the same beat for customers in Aldgate, with a greater possibility that they knew each other, well, it leaves me slightly uneasy. I won't go as far as to say "mistaken identity" as some have said or written re Eddowes, but it leaves an odd taste.

What are the odds that they DID know each other, and that specifically that is the reason Eddowes used Mary's name as her alias? It would explain a hell of a lot if they DID know each other. I think, if we believe the "Aldgate" statement about Mary, it is very possible indeed.

I am just trying to dot the "i's" and cross the "t's" with possibilities. Because we are all forever trying to explain why something happened or something was done. Very little, in all of this, is straightforward. A whole series of situations, disparate facts and half truths to explain. Too many. Far too many.

best wishes

Phil
                  Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Maggyann View Post
                    Ref the letters from Ireland. What sort of postmark would there have been back then? I mean would they have been stamped Ireland or did MJK tell him they were from Ireland?
                    Hello Maggyan,
                    Thank you for your reply.
                    I would imagine almost certainly postmarked in Ireland, although I am no philatic expert. Mary told him that her mother was living in Ireland according to the newspaper report, nd that her mother wrote letters to her.
                    Put those two things together and ....to presume that the letters from her mother were from Ireland is entirely a normal supposition. Isn't it?

best wishes

Phil
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hello Phil,
                      Intresting post by the way,
                      With reference to Maxwell I have personally always believed her story, you mention the speech impediment, and it is a very intresting point.
                      If she also mentioned that to the police, they would have something to check amongst the other court residents, and if any, or all of them, said she 'She spoke normal to me' then they would have looked upon Maxwell as obviously being mistaken.
                      But if her claim was supported , and she did speak in a distinctive manner, then that, along with surely the identifcation of the body before her appearance at the inquest, would almost certainly point to Maxwell not being mistaken in her sighting that morning, unless of course she simply lied? But why.
                      Did no a previous landlady, report that she had a rather distinctive false tooth in the centre of her mouth, one wonders if that could have affected her speech, in some way?
                      Years ago in 1974 I read an article I thought from Leonard Matters but apparently not so, which was what I presumed was part of Maxwells statement which said' Her eyes looked queer as if suffering from a heavy cold', infact Donald mcCormack has it as 'All Muffled up like in cold'.
                      I soon realised that this had possible significance, as Mrs M noticed this at 815am, and a certain Hutchinson has Mjk Saying' Oh I have lost my hankerchief at 2am.
                      As hankerchiefs and colds go hand in hand, one wonders if infact kelly had indeed a cold, if that was the case, how could Maxwell notice this some 4 hours after death was presumed?.
                      I am like Abberline, and I 'Believe the woman'
                      One point about the irish connection.
                      It was reported that a member of the post office, and also a irish detective visited kellys room, I would hazard a guess that was in someway connected with an attempt to trace the victims family. it is quite possible that police found some remains of a letter, which mayby could add some whereabouts of her family.
                      Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
                        Hello Phil,

One point about the irish connection.
                        It was reported that a member of the post office, and also a irish detective visited kellys room, I would hazard a guess that was in someway connected with an attempt to trace the victims family. it is quite possible that police found some remains of a letter, which mayby could add some whereabouts of her family.
                        Regards Richard.
                        Hello Richard,
                        Thanks for your kind reply.
                        I can well believe you are correct in your assumption. The visitors the day afterwards, in the morning, I believe, were an MP, a Post Office Official and someone from the Royal Irish Constabulary. If indeed a letter from Ireland WAS found, then it means that the statement made to the reporter about her mother being in Ireland IS true. And it ties in nicely with the visit of the three mentioned above.
                        It has been suggested previously on another thread that on this subject that the three were there to "gawp" at the place where it all happened, amongst the crowd. I have never agreed with this idea, as this unlikely trio surely must have been asked to attend for some reason or another.
                        The three were mentioned by their professions, but not named (as far as I know), which raises the point, why not? If innocent "gawpers" they would stick out in the crowd enough to be noticed. Likewise if invited by the police. They were recognised by the press (MP's don't wear uniforms, so he was certainly recognised by his faceas an MP), which indicates to me that they were in attendance for a reason. Your explanation is perfectly natural and normal for two of the three. The MP is a little different, but I believe they arrived together. (If someone could find the press report of this and post it in reply I would be grateful).
                        As has been pointed out, we don't know if they went INTO 13, Miller's Court, but given your explanation, I cannot see the police conducting their business in full glow of the crowd outside. We don't know for certain they DIDN'T go in either. (One of the reasons I wish to see more than one report of this occurrance, to compare reports...)

best wishes

Phil
                        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Speech Impediment or accent?

Hello All,

Originally posted by belinda View Post
                          Perhaps Mrs Maxwell mistook her accent for a speech impediment.If she had been living in Whitechappel for a while maybe she had tried to modify her accent deliberately or she started picking up a bit of an English accent
                          Considering the number of immigrants living in the East End at that time, it's safe to assume that foreign accents were quite common. It's probable that most East Enders could tell the difference between an accent, and a speech impediment. If Mrs. Maxwell thought that Mary Jane had a speech impediment, she probably did have one (by Maxwell's estimation)

Best Regards,
                          Edward
                          Last edited by Edward; 11-21-2009, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Hi all,

Phil.....This assertion that Mary Jane had a speech impediment troubles me a bit since we know for a fact that Joe Barnett did have one. When reports have that kind of cross pollination possible, you wonder whether you can base any ideas on the facts as presented.

Is it more probable that they both had speech impediments, or that she might have misspoken?

All the best

Comment

Mike,

Yes, and at the same time, she may be referring to an accent they BOTH had?`Thats a strange one isn't it
                              It just sticks out like a sore thumb to me

Interesting, I have just found this fact... that the statement saying that her mother lived in Ireland, is also in another newspaper...its a confirmation of THAT bit, which helps, because he stated about the Aldgate thing there too.

So perhaps there was a letter found at the flat, the Post Office and the RIC turning up had reason to be there and the Eddowes connection is now a nice possibility.

best wishes

Phil
                              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
                              X