Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by Graham 35 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - by Batman 1 hour and 26 minutes ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by OneRound 2 hours ago.
Non-Fiction: The Whitechapel Murders of 1888: Another Dead End? - by John Malcolm 3 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Abby Normal 4 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Trevor Marriott 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (28 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (19 posts)
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - (6 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (2 posts)
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - (2 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Stephenson, Robert Donston

Old 04-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Cadet

Default Motive

I think the whole Stephenson theory stands or falls on motive.

There appears to be no basis for any magical theory or magical working that would require such murders. Also, in Ivor Edwards book its rather confusing if the distance between victims is measured by trundle wheel or as the crow flies as both methods of measurement are mentioned in that rather confusing book.

It happens that I know quite a bit about Crowley and his predecessors as I got drawn into a totally unrelated investigation last year. Knowing what I think I know about the (completely nutty) occult ideas these people had it wouldn't actually be necessary to kill someone at these points anyway. Unless Stephenson was making up something new.

So if the motive was not magical then what other motive is there?
If it was that he was a lunatic then why did the killings stop?
Is there any other motive?

Also, if you did want to go around killing people the worst place to be based would be a public ward in a hospital. Much better to rent a room somewhere where you can come and go as you please with no repeated witnesses like the staff.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Cadet

I have revisited this issue and maybe there is sufficient motive. If Stephenson believed that what he was doing would work then that might be motive enough even if nobody else agreed with him.

For that reason I have moved him onto my list of plausible suspects. Also because he can't be ruled out as being somewhere else at the time.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonH View Post
I think the whole Stephenson theory stands or falls on motive.

So if the motive was not magical then what other motive is there?
If it was that he was a lunatic then why did the killings stop?
Is there any other motive?
Two very good questions. What was the motive for the killings? Why did the killings stop? Those are two important questions and if we knew the answer for certain we probably would no the identity of the Ripper.

Inspector Abberlines gives possible conclusions to both questions during an interview that took place in 1903. Abberline suggest organ harvesting as a possible motive. He tells the story of a strange man going to medical schools and trying to obtain organs. He suggest the possibility that the strange man hired another man to obtain the organs for him. If you read between the lines you might conclude that Abberline believed the Ripper had some sort of medical knowledge. I doubt that Abberline thought the strange American who wanted to obtain organs would hire some hack to obtain them.

Abberline goes on to say that he believed the Ripper fled to America. Think about it. Why did the killings stop?

1.The Ripper flees the area and his new murders are not connected to the Whitechaple murders.
2, The Ripper dies. He is either killed by someone or he commits suicide or he dies of natural causes.
3. The Ripper, is locked up for some other reason in an asylum or prison.

Those are the accepted reasons. Here are some more possible reasons.

4. The Ripper performed his task and was finished.
5. The Ripper's lebido became less of a force due to age or illness. If the murders were sex murders/lust crimes then it is possible his urges slowed down due to age or ilness.

Now, before someone jumps down my throat for endorsing Abberline's organ harvest theory or for puncuation and grammer misstakes. I am not endorsing Abberline's organ harvesting theory and I aint no English major. I am just useing Abberline's thoughts as an example that we have so many possible motives. That is why we have to be careful and not eliminate suspects such George Chapman.

Profilers will tell you that the Ripper killed to gain sexual satisfaction. This may be true but who to say the motive was not for some sort of black magic.

I believe the Ripper was scared of women. Because he was scared of women he became frustrated by them and then his frustration turned to anger. I think he took the organs as trophies. I think that the Ripper may have been gay. I know that the Ripper being gay is in complete contrast of what profilers will claim. However I think profiling is crap.

Motive is the key to solving the case. I suggest you do what everyone else does. Pick a suspect an then put forth a motive that fits your guy.

Your friend Brad

Last edited by celee : 05-23-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
For that reason I have moved him onto my list of plausible suspects. Also because he can't be ruled out as being somewhere else at the time.
Hi Gordon,

What Primary sources do you utilise to come to the conclusion that Stephenson can't be ruled out as being somewhere else at the time?
Old 05-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Covell View Post
Hi Gordon,

What Primary sources do you utilise to come to the conclusion that Stephenson can't be ruled out as being somewhere else at the time?
None, but I have not heard of anyone coming up with anything that proves he was somewhere else. In fact there is evidence he was in the area, unlike James Kelly (who can't be ruled out, but there is no evidence of him being in the area at the time so he is possible but not very likely).
Old 05-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Detective

Quote:
None, but I have not heard of anyone coming up with anything that proves he was somewhere else. In fact there is evidence he was in the area, unlike James Kelly (who can't be ruled out, but there is no evidence of him being in the area at the time so he is possible but not very likely).

Well, you cant rule out the possibility that an elephant can strand on one leg while balancing a daisey on its head but is it likely. The whole Stephenson thing seems abit far out but best of luck to you.

your friend, Brad
Old 05-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by celee View Post
Well, you cant rule out the possibility that an elephant can strand on one leg while balancing a daisey on its head but is it likely. The whole Stephenson thing seems abit far out but best of luck to you.

your friend, Brad
I was saying he is plausible because he was there and he might have had a motive and we have all the other apparent evidence.

When it comes to the named popular suspects it is a case of ruling them out.
We can definitely rule out some of them e.g. Sickert was in France at least some of the time, Prince Albert Victor was seen in other places at the times of the murders. Stephenson has no alibi so he has to stay on the list. My feeling is that it has to have been a local person with a previous history of violence.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Superintendent

Hi Gordon,

Does Stephenson being an inpatient at the London Hospital not give him an alibi?
Old 05-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Covell View Post
Hi Gordon,

Does Stephenson being an inpatient at the London Hospital not give him an alibi?
It might do, but it depends what's wrong with him.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Superintendent

During the late 1860's, during his tenure at the Hull Custom's Stephenson is treated for Cerebral matters.

In 1888 he is in hospital suffering Neurosthenia/Neurasthenia, which is a nervous condition. He is required to stay as an inpatient for 134 days from 26th July 1888 to 7th Dec 1888.

In 1889 he is in hospital suffering Chloralism, which is caused by the habitual use of chloral compounds. He is required to stay as an inpatient for 73 days from 13th May 1889 until 25th July 1889.

In the Borderlands article Stephenson admits to having suffered Brain Fever.

Circumstances-Fate, if you will-however, intervened ; and at the time that I should have joined him in Madrid to undergo the preliminary training, I was down with brain fever. It was not to be.