No announcement yet.

Views about Chris Hitchens, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am also a Christian, and i have read both books.

I much prefered Hitchens. I didn't share his views on politics or God, but I liked the way he said what he said and his reasons for doing so.

Comment

Does the book answer this simple and naive question :
      How can there be a creation without a creator ?

Comment

David, that sounds like a variation of the ontological argument.

Comment

Could be Robert. It's also a basic and simple question in Eastern Churches teachings.

Comment

Hello you all!

One thing bothered me already before reading the book;

Televangelists keep telling, how The Bible tells about all the corners of the world.

Yet the fact is, that the people writing The Bible didn't even know, that America existed. The same with The Koran too, though.

All the best
            Jukka
            "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Originally posted by j.r-ahde View Post
              Hello you all!

One thing bothered me already before reading the book;

Televangelists keep telling, how The Bible tells about all the corners of the world.

Yet the fact is, that the people writing The Bible didn't even know, that America existed. The same with The Koran too, though.

All the best
              Jukka
              Hi Jukka,

I don't think we have televangelists here in the Uk (if we do, I've never seen one) but what I do know is that the bible tells us that the second coming will not happen until every person in all corners of the world has heard the Christian message. Perhaps that is what they meant?

Comment

Originally posted by j.r-ahde View Post
                Televangelists
                Jukka
                Hi Jukka,

now I understand your problem.... If christianity was 'televangelism' I'd never called myself a christian.

Comment

I haven't read this book -I thought that the Bill Maher film 'Religulous' pretty well nailed the subject, though.
                  http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Prof Dawkins is a biologist/zoologist and so his opinions on those subjects should be given due weight. His opinions on politics, morality or religion may be interesting but, in the end, they are of no more importance than anyone else's.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                      Prof Dawkins is a biologist/zoologist and so his opinions on those subjects should be given due weight. His opinions on politics, morality or religion may be interesting but, in the end, they are of no more importance than anyone else's.
                      You remind me of Chesterton talking of Thomas Edison. And you're right too.

Comment

I should add that I'm not against people going outside their areas of expertise - far from it. I don't want to see everyone locked in their little boxes. It's just that once they do discourse on other topics, we should remember that they're no longer experts.

Comment

I should add that I'm not against people going outside their areas of expertise - far from it. I don't want to see everyone locked in their little boxes. It's just that once they do discourse on other topics, we should remember that they're no longer experts.
                          Hi Robert

Although this ought to be a self-evident truth, it seems of late that's very rarely respected, and every second-rate celebrity seems to feel their suntan and smile qualify them to comment on anything at all...and we're supposed to bow down and worship their wisdom...

A shrewd observation mate, and I'm glad you made it...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post

How exactly does one become an expert on God? Even if you study Theology, you are basically just learning other peoples' opinions and beliefs.

c.d.

Comment

That's not the point, CD.
                              There are no experts on God, that's what Robert (unless he corrects me) means - just like Chesterton versus Edison.
                              In other terms, the fact that you're a great scientist or anything else (including a theologian) doesn't add more authority to whatever you say about the soul, immortality, God, etc.
                              It's the same mystery for all.
                              Of course, a theologian or a philosopher would know more about a religion or philosophy, but these are something else.
                              Last edited by DVV; 10-05-2012, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                                That's not the point, CD.
                                There are no experts on God, that's what Robert (unless he corrects me) means - just like Chesterton versus Edison.
                                In other terms, the fact that you're a great scientist or anything else (including a theologian) doesn't add more authority to whatever you say about the soul, immortality, God, etc.
                                It's the same mystery for all.
                                Of course, a theologian or a philosopher would know more about a religion or philosophy, but these are something else.
                                Agreed. But by the same token, their opinion in no less valid than anyone else's due to their area of expertise. That's the point that I was trying to make.

c.d.

Comment

Working...
                                X