No announcement yet.

Why Would the Club Protect a Murderer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Would the Club Protect a Murderer?

I can see the club wanting to protect one of its members and deflect any involvement by the club in Stride's murder but how far would loyalty to one of its members go? Did these men not have mothers, wives, sisters, daughters? A killer brutally cuts the throat of a woman leaving her to die and they are okay with that because he is one of their own?

Also, if it is found out that some members lied to the police in a murder investigation and were guilty of engaging in a conspiracy they could go to jail with a high likelihood that the club would be closed by the police. On the other hand, what better way to show the police that the club consisted of law abiding citizens who were no threat than by turning over one of their own?

c.d.

So 83 views and 0 responses? I certainly didn't expect that. I thought this thread would spark some serious discussion. Oh well. Certainly not the first time I have been wrong about things here on Casebook.

c.d.

Comment

Which one of its members?

Samuel Friedman?

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
        So 83 views and 0 responses? I certainly didn't expect that. I thought this thread would spark some serious discussion. Oh well. Certainly not the first time I have been wrong about things here on Casebook.

c.d.
        Perhaps your premise (that posters on Casebook believe the club's members would protect a murderer) is simply wrong?

Doesn't seem to be much to discuss in your post - the club would never protect a murderer, so what exactly do you wish us to say?

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
          Perhaps your premise (that posters on Casebook believe the club's members would protect a murderer) is simply wrong?

Doesn't seem to be much to discuss in your post - the club would never protect a murderer, so what exactly do you wish us to say?
          Perhaps my premise that the club would protect a murderer who was a club member thus protecting the club itself is incorrect. Perhaps those who espouse a conspiracy on the part of the club could provide a reason why the club would engage in a conspiracy if not to protect a club member.

c.d.

Comment

Hi CD. This has nothing to do with the club, per se., just an observation that human psychology is a lot stranger than what we think. One of the more disturbing aspects of reading 'true crime' is to realize that it is not all that uncommon for people to know of a murderer's guilt, and not to contact the police.

One of the most extreme and extraordinary examples is a case I read several years ago, where a young woman was found brutally raped and murdered and lying in the snow in the side-yard of a suburban home. The police were initially stumped that no one had seen anything, but it later turned out that the home owner, a middle-aged woman, was entirely aware of who had committed the murder. She had witnessed it. It was her soon-to-be son-in-law, who was renting a cottage behind the property. Despite the horrific crime, she did not notify the police, because, as she put it, she "didn't want to spoil her daughter's wedding."

If I recall, she was sent to prison for a number years. It is hard to believe that such a thing could happen, but the case is fully documented in one of Robert Nash's Encyclopedia of Crime volumes.

No, I don't suspect the club members. They were social radicals and progressives. Murderers of this type are usually true believers in the status quo and the social hierarchy. The last thing in the world they want is equality. Manson was an exception, but he was more of a phony self-styled guru than a true revolutionary. Chikatilo would appear to be an exception, but he wasn't; he spouted communist dogma, but it is obvious that he hated the 'lower orders' and boasted about killing 'enemies of the state.' I'm going to be bashed for saying it, but I have little doubt that the Ripper would have voted Tory and would have voted for the "law and order" ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
              I can see the club wanting to protect one of its members and deflect any involvement by the club in Stride's murder but how far would loyalty to one of its members go? Did these men not have mothers, wives, sisters, daughters? A killer brutally cuts the throat of a woman leaving her to die and they are okay with that because he is one of their own?

Also, if it is found out that some members lied to the police in a murder investigation and were guilty of engaging in a conspiracy they could go to jail with a high likelihood that the club would be closed by the police. On the other hand, what better way to show the police that the club consisted of law abiding citizens who were no threat than by turning over one of their own?

c.d.
              Not only would the club not lie (or conspire to lie/cover up) to protect a member from murder, a club member such as Schwartz would not lie for the club.
              "Is all that we see or seem
              but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                Not only would the club not lie (or conspire to lie/cover up) to protect a member from murder, a club member such as Schwartz would not lie for the club.
                Based on what?

Comment

The steward of the club, Louis Diemschutz was quite possibly 1 of the 3 men responsible for the whole series of murders, and the other 2 were also club members according to 1 theory:

https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...lliams-in-2016

According to this, Israel Schwartz was also a member of the club, and he stopped giving the police information after a specific points because he was told not to by the club.
                  Last edited by Stacker; 03-28-2019, 11:16 PM.

Comment

This theory is a piece of creative writing with no basis in fact. Anyone can come up with stuff like this.

Comment

Working...
                    X