View Single Post
Old 02-26-2018, 04:46 PM
Sergeant

If we take it literally and have the door to #19 at the very top of the stairs (going parallel to the partition), then we have to place the stairs to the next floor, the storeroom and the door to #20 in positions that would agree with the rest of the court statements. The doors need to be positioned so you would see the other door when exiting either room, the storeroom would need to be on the passageway side of the landing and the stairs to floor 2 would need to be positioned to allow for all this. We know that the space between the rooms (#19 /#20) was 9ft and I read somewhere that the storeroom was described as 9ft x 5ft (think it was 5ft) so the storeroom spanned the width of the landing/narrow passageway. I don't think having stairs up the partition wall would allow for all this.

My model at the moment has the stairs running exactly like the Hanbury Street photo - directly in line with the front door, going up and turning to the right onto a landing with the door to #19 on the left and the storeroom right in front - room #20 to the right. This allows for the stairs to go up to the next level and also agrees with the court statements about:
"I kicked against this partition, which separates the witness Amory's room from the staircase; the partition ends at a small room called the storeroom"

There are multitude ways that I can arrange the 1st-floor landing but the model I have at the moment seems to tick many of the necessary boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra A View Post
Richard, out of interest; is there a problem with taking Roberts description literally? Does it conflict with any other descriptions?

Where do you have the narrow first floor passage situated on your model?
HHAP
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote