Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get well soon, Jeff!

Comment

• I hope you feel better soon, Jeff. Good luck with everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
        Good luck mate, be thinking of you.
        G'Day GUT,

Thanks mate for your wishes. I had hoped to ask about your family connection to Jonson, but that will have to wait.

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
          Get well soon, Jeff!
          Thanks Robert. Best wishes to you.

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
            I hope you feel better soon, Jeff. Good luck with everything.
            Thanks Rosella. I appreciate your wishes and regards.

Jeff

Comment

• On a more familiar thread note, we just passed the 226th anniversary of the storming of the Bastille - "Bastille Day" in France, their 4th of July. So here is a list of movies dealing with the French Revolution that I can think of (we will omit Napoleon, as he takes center stage after 1795).

1) Marie Antoinette (1938)
              2) Marie Antoinette (more recent film)
              3) Black Magic (Orson Welles as Cagliostro, supposedly about the "Affair of the Diamond Necklace")
              4) Du Barry was a Lady (the Cole Porter musical, severely cut in terms of score to "Do I Love You Do I?" and "Friendship", with a cast of Red Skelton - in the role Bert Lahr played of Louis/King Louis XV; Lucille Ball - in the role played by Ethel Merman on Broadway as "DuBarry"; Gene Kelly (as Ball's love interest); Douglas Dumbrille (the nightclub owner in the modern part, and a sinister courtier in the 18th Century part); Rags Ragland (as Louis's assistant in the modern story, and as the Dauphin in the 18th Century story); and as the mentalist / "Cagliostro" - Zero Mostel in an early role)
              5), Nuit de Varennes (a French film about the events leading to the attempted escape of the royal family and their recapture)
              6) Danton (with Gerald Depardieu as the orator statesman)
              7) Marat/DeSade - Glenda Jackson (as the asylum inmate playing Charlotte Corday)
              8) Scaramouche (1925 - with Lewis Stone in title role)
              9) Scaramouche (1952) - Stewart Granger, Eleanor Parker, Nina Foch, Mel Ferrer, and Lewis Stone now in a supporting part. Has one of the greatest filmed sword duels in movies.
              10) The New Moon (1940) - the revolution spread to colonies (Jeannette MacDonald, Nelson Eddy, George Zucco).
              11) Voltaire (1934) - George Arliss as the writer, social critic; Reginald Owen as Louis XV. Deals (in some way) with Voltaire's attempts to reform the Old Regime, and with the "Calas Case", a major international scandal about the execution of a Huguenot father and the impoverishment of his wife and children for the murder of his son - the son had committed suicide, but Voltaire had to prove it).
              12) DuBarry (1934) - Dolores Del Rio as the French courtesan, lover of Louis XV, and her final days as court leader.
              13) The Black Book (1949) - Richard Basehart as Maximilien Robespierre, with Bob Cumming, and Arnold Moss as Robespierre's successful enemy (his only one!) the future French Interior Minister Fouche. About the events leading to Thermidor.
              14. A Tale of Two Cities (1935) - Colman, Wood, Rathbone, Edna Mae Oliver - I think this is the best version of the Dickens' classic about the "Reign of Terror"
              15. A Tale of Two Cities (1958) - Dirk Bogard - the alternative.

There are others, but this is a good start.

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                Max Smart, as played by Don Adams, was one of my favorite TV characters when I was a youngster.
                G'day Dunny

mine too then my son discovered him first as the voice of Inspector Gadget then as Max.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• It's nice when you can pass on things like that to the next generation, GUT.

Mayerling, best wishes for your quick recovery.
                  Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                  ---------------
                  Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                  ---------------

Comment

• There's 'Farewell my Queen', a 2012 film with Diane Kruger. It shows the last weeks of Marie Antoinette's life as Queen through the eyes of her maid.
                    Also, in 1989 a big international production 'La Revolution Francaise' was mounted for the 200th anniversary. It was made for French, Italan, UK, German and Canadian audiences, and had an international cast.

Comment

It's nice when you can pass on things like that to the next generation, GUT.

Never tried to share it with him just a natural possession from Inspector Gadget to Max.

He is also a big 60s music fan.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                        Thank you.

I am putting a personal message here for all. I have been having increasing problems with my right leg and side all week, and am heading for the New York Hospital in Queens (formerly Booth Memorial) today. The reason I am putting this here is that this thread has a lot of readers and can be seen by many. I hope to be back soon, in a better condition.

Good luck to you all.

Jeff
                        feel better mayer....if your laid up...enjoy some egr

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

vice squad for yur viewing please

Comment

• Mayerling...Get well soon my friend!!!

Steadmund Brand
                          "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                            Mayerling...Get well soon my friend!!!

Steadmund Brand
                            I'm back now, and the pain problem seems relatively under control - with tylanol of all things! My doctor also checked me at his office today, and found I'm basically okay - he gave me some possible referrals.

But thanks for your wishes Steadmund.

Jeff

Comment

It's nice when you can pass on things like that to the next generation, GUT.

Hi Dunny,

Thanks for your concern and wishes. I left an explanation of what is going on above in a message to Steadmund.

Actually, the late Don Adams had already done the voice of "Tennessee Tuxedo", the penguin who wants to be helpful - and fails - for the same people who did the "Rocky and Bullwinkle" cartoons, before "Get Smart" and "Inspector Gadget".

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
                                feel better mayer....if your laid up...enjoy some egr

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

vice squad for yur viewing please
                                Thanks Rocky for your concern. I did view "Vice Squad" today, and it would rank high in my list of "police procedural" films (like "Gideon's Day").

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X