No announcement yet.

"I never killed a man who didn't need killin"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truly great performances? And let's keep it western since that is partially, at least (although its John Wesley Hardin) what the subject is:

John Wayne in "The Searchers" and John Wayne in "The Man who Shot Liberty Vallance."

Oh... and maybe John Wayne in "Red River."

One non western maybe?...
    John Wayne in "The Quiet Man."

Just my little 'ol opinion, Pilgrim.
    Last edited by Hunter; 12-06-2014, 12:57 PM.
    Best Wishes,
    Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

The hell it is...

Comment

I sent for ya yesterday and you come a-riding in today...kid

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
          Truly great performances? And let's keep it western since that is partially, at least (although its John Wesley Hardin) what the subject is:

John Wayne in "The Searchers" and John Wayne in "The Man who Shot Liberty Vallance."

Oh... and maybe John Wayne in "Red River."

One non western maybe?...
          John Wayne in "The Quiet Man."

I'd have to include Wayne's "Captain Nathan ("Never apologize...it's a sign of weakness.") Brittles. The moment he takes out his spectacles to read the engraving on the watch always moves me.

I also liked his performance in "Stagecoach" as "The Ringo Kid".

Jeff

Maybe for Cogidubnus I should add "McClintock".

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
            ("Never apologize...it's a sign of weakness.")
            The first meaningful thing you learn in life, if you ask me.
            And then you learn to disobey the rule on the casebook, when Mongolito931 proves you wrong just because you're too drunk to check your AZ.

Comment

Let's cut to the chase. Greatest 10 movies of all time.

Apocalypse Now
              Lord of the Rings
              Fargo
              Wizard of oz
              Star Wars
              Angel Heart
              The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
              Chinatown
              American Grafitti
              It's a Wonderful life

Comment

[QUOTE=Steadmund Brand;321760]
                Originally posted by Mayerling View Post

by the way... did you have an example of an Oscar decision that really upset you? or does anyone have an example?

Steadmund Brand
                Daniel Day Lewis in "Gangs of New York," losing to Adrien Brody in "The Pianist." That one got me miffed. It was the time when Brody planted the huge liplock on Halle Berry when he came up to accept the award.

I still enjoy the Oscars. I know there's tons of phoniness to it, but it does still have its moments. One of my favorites had to do with "Titanic." People tend to either love or hate that movie, but after hamming it up by shouting "I'm King of the World!" when accepting for Best Director, James Cameron played it so very classy when he mounted the stage for the second time to accept for Best Picture. With wording approximate, he said, "You know, with all the hype surrounding this movie it's easy to forget that this was a real tragedy that happened to real people. So with your indulgence, I'd like to ask for a moment of silence for the 1,513 people who lost their lives on Titanic." And he got it, dead silence for 20 or 30 seconds. I'll never forget that.

Julia Roberts accepting Best Actress for "Erin Brockovich" telling the band, "Please don't start the music because I might not be up here again for a really long time!" and then forgetting to actually thank Erin Brockovich- funny stuff.

Sandra Bullock accepting for her Oscar, thanking her mother and then elaborating off the top of her head about how "because I wasn't always the greatest daughter" (at least as I remember it), and then getting choked up by that-- well, I just like those moments. I guess I'm a sucker for real sentiment in the face of extreme cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                  Let's cut to the chase. Greatest 10 movies of all time.

Apocalypse Now
                  Lord of the Rings
                  Fargo
                  Wizard of oz
                  Star Wars
                  Angel Heart
                  The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
                  Chinatown
                  American Grafitti
                  It's a Wonderful life

These lists always fluctuate

Citizen Kane
                  Casablanca
                  Maltese Falcon
                  Make Way For Tomorrow
                  Dodsworth
                  Stagecoach
                  Duck Soup
                  Way Out West
                  The General
                  Modern Times

[Sorry if none are older than 1943 - I find it hard to decide on post 1943 films, although I'd include Monsieur Verdoux, Letter From An Unknown Woman, Letter to Three Wives, Sunset Blvd., All About Eve, Pat and Mike, and Touch of Evil on a far longer list, including titles by Hitchcock and other directors. So many films, so little time.]

Comment

All time favourite...

My all time favourite has to be Leon, starring Jean Reno.

Absolutely brilliant!

Amanda

Comment

I won't compile a list, but I will mention a few that I don't think have been mentioned so far :

Night of the Demon (Curse of the Demon in USA)
                      Dr Terror's House of Horrors
                      Dead of Night
                      Duel
                      The Bedford Incident
                      The Ladykillers
                      The Court Jester
                      Hans Christian Anderson
                      The Pickwick Papers
                      School for Scoundrels
                      Oh Mr Porter
                      Twelve Angry Men

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        I won't compile a list, but I will mention a few that I don't think have been mentioned so far :

Night of the Demon (Curse of the Demon in USA)
                        Dr Terror's House of Horrors
                        Dead of Night
                        Duel
                        The Bedford Incident
                        The Ladykillers
                        The Court Jester
                        Hans Christian Anderson
                        The Pickwick Papers
                        School for Scoundrels
                        Oh Mr Porter
                        Twelve Angry Men
                        Ah yes, "The Ladykillers" (I take it the one with Guinness, Lom, and Katy Johnson).

[Mrs. Wilberforce has just left the room after reminiscing about how her coming out party on January 20, 1901 ended early with the announcement that the "old Queen had died".]
                        One Round: "What's she talking about..."Old Queen" who?!!"

I would have added

Ask a Policeman"
                        Go to Blazes
                        My Learned Friend
                        The Body Snatcher
                        Bedlam
                        The Night My Number Came Up
                        Mr. Denning Drives North
                        Black Friday (1939)
                        The Black Cat (1934)
                        The Comedy of Terrors

[I know I put down ten already, but when I saw the references to horror films and films with Will Hay in them, I got reinspired - sorry.]

Comment

Slingblade.

Finished.

Mike
                          huh?

Comment

Hi Jeff

Yes, I had to stop myself adding just about all the Universal, Hammer and Amicus films, just about all Laurel and Hardy, and so on.

The scene I always remember from the Ladykillers is Guinness at the old ladies' tea party, hunched over the piano, totally and utterly defeated.

I would add The Ghost of St Michael's, another film Hay did with Hulbert.

Also Tales of Terror, which has the immortal wine-tasting scene with Price and Lorre.

And then there's Harvey, and Scaramouche....

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                              Hi Jeff

Yes, I had to stop myself adding just about all the Universal, Hammer and Amicus films, just about all Laurel and Hardy, and so on.

The scene I always remember from the Ladykillers is Guinness at the old ladies' tea party, hunched over the piano, totally and utterly defeated.

I would add The Ghost of St Michael's, another film Hay did with Hulbert.

Also Tales of Terror, which has the immortal wine-tasting scene with Price and Lorre.

And then there's Harvey, and Scaramouche....

Hi Robert,

I have to see "The Ghost of St. Michael's". Hay (with or without Moffat and Marriott) is a joy that was reserved for my retirement years due to You Tube.
                              I have seen Price's bit of hamming in the wine-tasting scene and Lorre's ironic quiet gaze at his target's preparations. It is good. Actually both actors (and Karloff) were good in comic parts when they got them. Rathbone did not have as many chances (best bits is his reactions to first Spencer Tracy and later John Carridine in "The Last Hurrah", his greedy, overbearing relative in "We're No Angels" with Bogie and Ustinov, and his "Oliver Courtney" the famous composer who hires Bing Crosby and Mary Martin - unknown to each other - to compose the lyrics and music for his songs while he is undergoing a temporary writing block in "Rhythm on the River"). The latter has Rathbone playing his most melancholy romantic soul out about how his lost love left him, while his assistant (Oscar Levant, of all people) keeps puncturing this sad, sad image by reminding Rathbone his girlfriend married a pasta tycoon, and got fat!!

The scene you refer to in "The Ladykillers" is cute because "Louis" (Herbert Lom, the only realist among this bunch) comes back from parking the getaway car, and finds Guinness, Sellers, Parker, and Danny Greene helplessly assisting these old ladies, and Guinness is at the piano helping to play "Silver Threads Among the Gold".

My favorite "Ladykillers" moment (there are several) is when the gang is requested by Mrs. Wilberforce to help her, as her pet parrot has escaped it's cage while getting some bird medicine. Graciously they all leave, except of course Lom, whose damned if he's getting involved in this nonsense - understandably, as they were discussing how the robbery is to be carried out. Keep in mind, the key to the deception is the record of a string quintet playing that piece by Bocherrini. The record is played (much to Lom's dislike - he's not into music that much, especially classical) when the door is shut, to sound like they are practicing. But when Mrs. Wilberforce comes and four of them go to assist her, the record is still playing. There is immense crazy destruction and confusion on the main floor and in the parlor, but upstairs (from time to time) Alexander McKendrick switches back showing an angry, quietly seething Lom sitting on one of the beds and just staring ahead. Green (One-Round) in trying to assist manages to break a wicker seat chair, and it causes a tremor that makes the phonograph needle skip again and again at the same spot. Without a change of expression, Lom removes the arm of the phonograph, lifts up the record, looks briefly at the label (as though to remember what this piece was), and smashes the record as he turns his head back to the original position. My heart actually went out to him, and I like that piece of music.

Jeff

Comment

hmm top 10... that is REALLY hard.. there are so many films I love....

1- My Favorite Year
                                2- City Lights
                                3- Eraserhead
                                4- Duck Soup (or Horse Feathers or Monkey Business)
                                5- La Strada
                                6- Harvey
                                7- not fair to have to pick 1 classic Universal Film!!!
                                8- The Hustler
                                9- Requiem for a Heavyweight (1962)
                                10- The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)

now as it has been said before, this list would change daily.. depending on my mood etc....

Might be better for me to list top 10 films of each genre... but I won’t do that now... unless others want to start that kind of thread

Steadmund Brand--
                                "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Working...
                                X