Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GUT View Post
    Now spaghetti, "They call me Trinity".

I also liked the Good the Bad and the Ugly and For a Fistful of Dollars, but Unforgiven was great as well.
    Oh Terence Hill and Bud Spencer.... how sad that NOBODY ( pun intended) in the States has seen or heard of them (well.. except the few terrible films Terence made in Hollywood in the 80's)

Steadmund Brand--
    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

I guess I should put together a list of some of my favorite westerns

In no order

The Good the Bad and the Ugly
      For A Few Dollars More
      Fist Full of Dollars
      The Shootist
      El Topo
      The Magnificent Seven
      The Man who Shot Liberty Valance
      Treasure of the Sierra Madre
      Unforgiven
      They call Me Trinity/Trinity is still My Name
      God Forgives.. I don't
      My Name is Nobody
      Ace High
      Death Rides a Horse
      Blazing Saddles
      The Wild Bunch
      Greed
      There Was A Crooked Man
      Fistfull of Dynamite(A.K.A. Duck you Sucker)
      Django (1966!!)
      The Great Silence

I could go on and on.. so I better stop for now

Steadmund Brand-

(Western isn't my favorite genre either)
      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
        Oh Terence Hill and Bud Spencer.... how sad that NOBODY ( pun intended) in the States has seen or heard of them (well.. except the few terrible films Terence made in Hollywood in the 80's)

Steadmund Brand--
        One year I delivered brochures for about 4 weeks to earn enough to see "Nobody".
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

One year I delivered brochures for about 4 weeks to earn enough to see "Nobody".
          And was worth every minute I bet!!!!

Steadmnund Brand

I almost think a what is your favorite Terence and Bud film thread is needed... but probably too few people on here remember or like them...Watch Out We're Mad is my favorite by the way

Comment

it's sad how true a statement this is...as a lifelong film buff/historian I can't believe how shameful the Oscars have become... if you spend a ton of money you can win.. if you don't play the game... no matter how good your film is... you won’t even get a nomination...

Steadmund Brand
            Absolutely correct. If I can tear us away from the West and Westerns for a moment:

Among my books on film is a nice "coffee table" book in paperback from the 1980s about the making and marketing of the 1933 classic "King Kong". I did not realize that it was made in part from sets used the previous year in another film I really like "The Most Dangerous Game" with Joel McCrae, Fay Wray, and Leslie Banks. The enduring popularity of the tragedy of the title character and how "'twas beauty killed the beast" is shown by how frequently the character is resurrected in remakes or sequels or all sorts.

One of the last chapters of the book was entitled, "Remember 'Cavalcade'?" This is in reference to the awarding of the 1933 "Best film Oscar" to the movie version of Noel Coward's over-the-years play "Cavalcade". It starred Clive Brook in the movie version (remember Clive Brook? He was Marlene Dietrich's ex-lover in "Shanghai Express" and portrayed Sherlock Holmes a few times. He actually was a fine actor). Nobody would recall "Cavalcade" today except die-hard film historians and Coward fans (and the latter would prefer his comedies like "Private Lives" and "Hay Fever" and "Blythe Spirit").
            But I finally saw part of it in 1997 when, on the 70th anniversary of the first Academy Award show they did an over-the-years retrospective of the "Best films". They showed "Cavalcade"'s most notorious or best known moment: the two newly weds talking about their hopes and dreams while on a ship on their honeymoon, under a starry April sky. As they leave (and this is also in the play) the husband picks up his wife's wrap that was covering the life saver hanging on the rail - which says "RMS TITANIC" on it. That night the best film award went to James Cameron's retelling of the tragedy, "TITANIC". It's not a bad film, but for money the best of the films on that disaster was "A NIGHT TO REMEMBER" (1958) with Kenneth More, Laurence Naismith, Honore Blackman. That film actually concentrated on the disaster itself. "A NIGHT TO REMEMBER" was not nominated for best picture of 1958.

Jeff

Comment

And was worth every minute I bet!!!!

Steadmnund Brand

I almost think a what is your favorite Terence and Bud film thread is needed... but probably too few people on here remember or like them...Watch Out We're Mad is my favorite by the way
              Personally I liked them all, actually I shouted my best mate to come see "Nobody" with me, Ive got a few on DVD but some are hard to find.

I loved the scene where the gunman is bragging "Nobody s faster than me" and then Hill beats him cold.

If you want to know what look like I've been told it's Bud.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hi Jeff

I saw a performance of the Cavalcade Titanic scene a few years ago - part of a programme on Coward, probably - and they said that Coward felt that the Titanic reference at the end was slightly over-egging the pudding. I like Coward, though.

What did you think of the decision to give the Oscar to Stalag 17 instead of Shane? Both good films but I prefer Shane.

Comment

Personally I liked them all, actually I shouted my best mate to come see "Nobody" with me, Ive got a few on DVD but some are hard to find.

I loved the scene where the gunman is bragging "Nobody s faster than me" and then Hill beats him cold.

If you want to know what look like I've been told it's Bud.
                  you look like Bud eh? then you are much smaller than I ( I'm a bit giant... even for Americans... 6feet 5 inches tall and over 300 pounds).

I love Terence and Bud films... I found quite a few on DVD ( I am lucky, I bought an all region DVD player.. as well we all know how terrible the US format is.. especially for those of us who like foreign films)

I have Nobody on dvd, quite a good print too....made the woman watch it... actually she is quite a fan of the boys now....plus she thinks Terence is nice to look at so she never complains , I have to admit I wasnt a big fan of the "sequel" A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe.. but it was ok.....

I think we need an International Terence and Bud night

Steadmund Brand

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                    Hi Jeff

I saw a performance of the Cavalcade Titanic scene a few years ago - part of a programme on Coward, probably - and they said that Coward felt that the Titanic reference at the end was slightly over-egging the pudding. I like Coward, though.

What did you think of the decision to give the Oscar to Stalag 17 instead of Shane? Both good films but I prefer Shane.
                    I don't think that was a terrible decision...as you said.. both great films...

we should maybe talk about the worst Oscar moments ever .. the one that sticks in my craw is when Tom Hanks (who I admit is a good actor) was given the best actor Oscar for Forest Gump (ok.. I know I will upset lots of folks now.. but the movie was really not that good.. and his performance was nothing special... ANYONE could have played it that way!!) and he beat Nigel Hawthorne who was nominated for The Madness of King George, and his performance may be one of the great screen performances of all time..that was a crime...but, nobody saw Madness, and well Gump was forced down all our throats...I actually stopped watching the Oscars after that..

Steadmund Brand--

Comment

Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
                      Lol sorry how bout hang em high...I like the spaghettis..Franco Nero vs Eastwood.. Django vs blondie who wins...whose faster?
                      Just ask GUT or myself.... NOBODY is fastest

Steadmund Brand

Comment

"The man who doesn't exercise the first law of nature - that of self preservation - is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life."

John Wesley Hardin

Comment

G'day Steadmund

Or like Bluto off Popeye. In fact I walk into Court and one Solicitor always calls me Bluto.

Nowdays I'm only about 6'1" was 6'2" and down to about 250lb having lost almost 70, but with the same beard and all.
                          G U T

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Charted at #34 on Billboard Hot 100 in June 1966, and #2 on Billboard Adult Contemporary chart. This is a parody of records which told Western stories, (such...

Comment

!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X