Thoughts on Netflix's Dahmer – Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Netflix's Dahmer – Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story

I have just finished watching this series. Would be interested in hearing what people thought of it!
    Best wishes,

Tristan

definite rewatch at some time in the future.

Comment

I watched like ten minutes of it to tell the spouse my opinion of the Signing scenes. They were excellent. The liberties taken with the truth however, are not.

Let all Oz be agreed;
      I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Losmandris View Post
        I have just finished watching this series. Would be interested in hearing what people thought of it!
        I’ve watched it was entertaining-disturbing-very well acted I thought!!

Comment

I am still trying to decide I think?? I could not help but feel that they made Dahmer too likeable. A sort of slightly bumbling anti hero, who is trying to do his best to get by despite being this serial killer. Maybe that was just me or it was intentional. Though even though it was quite graphic, again for me it did not quite capture the utter horror and the sadness of the whole affair. There is no doubt that Dahmer is the star of the show (brilliant acting, especially by his dad, no doubt), which will no doubt add to this whole mythos, weird obsession around serial killers in general (And yes, I know I am kind caught up with all of that!) which I don't think particularly helps. I know they made a bit of an effort in portraying the plight of the victims and their families but I don't this went far enough. I hate to bring certain authors into this but sometimes the best intentions with the portrayal of victims can end up completely backfiring leaving them (and potential future victims of different offenders, who are in similar situations) even more marginalised (and from an intersectional perspective I think the Dahmers victims and indeed those of JtR and those of many other serial killers were particularly vulnerable).

I have no doubt that Dahmer was a highly manipulative and calculating predator who used both his privilege and the vulnerability of the victims to his advantage. I don't think he regretted a thing until the day he died. Again I am not sure if this really comes across. I get the whole, he just seemed so normal but I don't think the series really showed the real dark and I mean dark side to him which I have no doubt was there, as well as they could. Though I am sure if they did it would almost be unwatchable.

Anyway just some of my own thoughts. I have no doubt there will be far more things like this on the way. It has been wildly popular by all accounts. I wonder if JtR will get the Netflix treatment at some point?
          Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Working...
          X