• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curious
    replied
    Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
    Hi Velma

That difficult word is presumaby "British"

Yes there are a number of "on demand" TV providers..but alas I don't subscribe to any of them, (I only went over to digital TV because the alternative was being switched off...I'm not a huge TV fan and was tempted...but the missus is a big time watcher, and there's the odd programme I like)...so I'm afraid I can't make a recommendation one way or the other...sorry!

All the best

Dave

Close but no cigar!

You're a varmint, Dave, trying to make me sound even dumber than I already do for admitting such a thing.

Actually, I was trying to put 2 t's in the name of the country. It's not just my body that has been on vacation for a week!

They may not allow me back in the office Monday morning.

Velma

Leave a comment:

• Cogidubnus
    replied
    Hi Velma

That difficult word is presumaby "British"

Yes there are a number of "on demand" TV providers..but alas I don't subscribe to any of them, (I only went over to digital TV because the alternative was being switched off...I'm not a huge TV fan and was tempted...but the missus is a big time watcher, and there's the odd programme I like)...so I'm afraid I can't make a recommendation one way or the other...sorry!

All the best

Dave

Leave a comment:

• curious
    replied
    Hi Velma

Yes More 4 is one of our TV Channels (associated with "Channel 4" and More4 among others) and 4OD is an online facility to watch previously broadcast shows on your computer...To be honest I don't know, but it might just be possible for someone in the US to use 4OD...why not wait until tomorrow and then try looking at todays shows...

By the by...I think a lot of our Scots and Welsh followers might be a little wounded by the "England" reference!

All the best

Dave
    Thanks, Dave,

and apologies to those Scots and Welsh I may have offended. The irony is I resorted to "England" because I could not spell XXXXXX and I still can't.

I was just too lazy to open another browser and look it so, so I went with something I could spell.

Do you all have something like a Roku box that allows you to watch TV shows on your TV, but off the Internet?

I'm thinking of getting one and dropping my Dish, but I love the Dish and am not sure.

Velma

Leave a comment:

• Cogidubnus
    replied
    I'm guessing More 4 tonight is in England?
    Hi Velma

Yes More 4 is one of our TV Channels (associated with "Channel 4" and More4 among others) and 4OD is an online facility to watch previously broadcast shows on your computer...To be honest I don't know, but it might just be possible for someone in the US to use 4OD...why not wait until tomorrow and then try looking at todays shows...

By the by...I think a lot of our Scots and Welsh followers might be a little wounded by the "England" reference!

All the best

Dave

Leave a comment:

• curious
    replied
    Thanks David - will have to break the habits of a lifetime and, just for once on a Saturday night, wrest control of the Television set from my dear lady wife...She's like a terrier you know (or was that a terrorist?)... in case I don't survive I leave my JtR books to...oh forget it, I'll probably catch up with it on 4OD anyhow...

Mutter mutter

Dave
    Hi, Dave,
    It is my understanding that "bull dogs" are more tenacious than terriers, but you're smart, a lady would prefer being a terrier to a bull dog!

good for you, you may survive.

curious

Leave a comment:

• curious
    replied
    Originally posted by DGB View Post
    Just a quick note, on More 4 tonight at 9pm there's a documentary on this case called 'America's Serial Killer'
    I'm guessing More 4 tonight is in England?

Thanks,

curious

Leave a comment:

• curious
    replied
    Could be that having done a "little'un" something about it turned him on and he subsequently started looking out the smaller victims...hard to get into the mind of someone like that...

All the best

Dave
    Hi, Dave,

Of course. Impossible to know . . .

Somehow, though, I tend to think he started out with women who appealed to him, then changed for some reason.

But there's no way to know until he's caught -- and maybe not even then.

curious

Leave a comment:

• Cogidubnus
    replied
    Cowardice

Thanks David - will have to break the habits of a lifetime and, just for once on a Saturday night, wrest control of the Television set from my dear lady wife...She's like a terrier you know (or was that a terrorist?)... in case I don't survive I leave my JtR books to...oh forget it, I'll probably catch up with it on 4OD anyhow...

Mutter mutter

Dave

Leave a comment:

• DGB
    replied
    Just a quick note, on More 4 tonight at 9pm there's a documentary on this case called 'America's Serial Killer'

Leave a comment:

• Cogidubnus
    replied
    Could be that having done a "little'un" something about it turned him on and he subsequently started looking out the smaller victims...hard to get into the mind of someone like that...

All the best

Dave

Leave a comment:

• curious
    replied
    Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
    Massapequa may be little but it's packed. It's about 4 miles but it's population as of 2010 was 21,685. Don't know if you would consider this to have any bearing on the issue, though.

Btw, he's not really a 'ripper' though, is he
    Hi, Beowulf:

Not in the JtR sense, but some stories are calling him a "ripper."

He dismembered his earlier victims.

Do you think the size of Massapequa has a bearing on this? How? If you don't mind sharing.

His dismembering his victims relates to an item I posted earlier. Apparently, one of the older victims was 5'6" and 150 pounds. The four latest victims were right at 100 pounds or less and 5 feet, or thereabouts.

My first thought was that he had switched to smaller victims because the killer himself is small or smallish average and that a bigger girl had been more than he could easily handle.

However, after more thought, I wonder if he switched sizes as a "business decision."

The early victims were dismembered and their body parts disposed of in different locations. The killer was vulnerable as long as he had body parts with him -- say he was stopped by the authorities for anything -- taillight out, drivers license check -- anything.

The early victims were also wrapped in plastic. The latest ones in burlap.

The earlier victims were placed back in a thicket, the latest ones really in the edge of the roadway.

So, perhaps he switched to smaller women because:

A. he preferred not to have to go to the trouble of dismemberment -- or had lost his workshop in someway and no longer had that option.

B. He could just drop a body into a burlap bag, toss the bag into the back of his pick-up or car with other bags and feel safer, and it took less time and effort.

C. Something was going on with his health -- or he lost an accomplice . . . .

So many possibilities, I guess.

curious

P.S. Oh, and BTW, I didn't start or name the thread. I've just been sorta keeping up with this case since very early after the first bodies were discovered.

It's very interesting, but very unsettling because it's so current.
    Last edited by curious; 10-27-2012, 01:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Beowulf
    replied
    Originally posted by curious View Post
    Hi, Ginger,
    After reading this story, I think that possibility exists.

However, another source states:
    On the night that Barthelemy disappeared, she had met with a client, deposited $900 in her bank account, and attempted to call an old boyfriend who did not answer his phone. She then checked her voicemail from two motels in Massepequa (a Budget Inn and a Best Western). She then left the motel for a appointment with a client. Her pimp had offered her a ride but she declined the offer. Barthelemy was never seen again."

What I find especially interesting is that on two days close together Barthelemy checked her e-mail from the little town of Massapequa. Was she there to see the same person?

curious
    Massapequa may be little but it's packed. It's about 4 miles but it's population as of 2010 was 21,685. Don't know if you would consider this to have any bearing on the issue, though.

Btw, he's not really a 'ripper' though, is he

Leave a comment:

• curious
    replied
    Originally posted by Ginger View Post
    According to this, she was charging $200 an hour for her services, one third of which went to the driver/bodyguard. At that rate, the $900 may not have been from the killer at all, but just might have been a regular day or two worth of earnings that she hadn't yet deposited. I rather imagine the banks were generally closed when she'd finished for the evening.
    Hi, Ginger,
    After reading this story, I think that possibility exists.

However, another source states:
    On the night that Barthelemy disappeared, she had met with a client, deposited $900 in her bank account, and attempted to call an old boyfriend who did not answer his phone. She then checked her voicemail from two motels in Massepequa (a Budget Inn and a Best Western). She then left the motel for a appointment with a client. Her pimp had offered her a ride but she declined the offer. Barthelemy was never seen again."

What I find especially interesting is that on two days close together Barthelemy checked her e-mail from the little town of Massapequa. Was she there to see the same person?

curious
    Last edited by curious; 10-27-2012, 01:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger
    replied
    Originally posted by DarkPassenger View Post
    According to this, she was charging $200 an hour for her services, one third of which went to the driver/bodyguard. At that rate, the $900 may not have been from the killer at all, but just might have been a regular day or two worth of earnings that she hadn't yet deposited. I rather imagine the banks were generally closed when she'd finished for the evening.

Leave a comment:

• curious
    replied
    Originally posted by DarkPassenger View Post

So it seems she was in Massapequa on 9th July, then again on 12th July when she vanished. Both times she checked her voicemail while waiting for her client. And if one of the killer's calls did come from Massapequa it's possible he lives or works nearby.
    So, does that mean the 12th was a repeat performance?

She met him first on July 9? Got paid?

Then went back on the 12th?

"And if one of the killer's calls did come from Massapequa it's possible he lives or works nearby."

Don't you think it is more likely that a person this savvy met her out-of-town? A short drive from his hometown?

Gotta get off the computer and get my day started. This is very intriguing. . .

curious

Leave a comment:

Working...
X