The Long Island Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deleted. Needs work.
    Last edited by DarkPassenger; 07-22-2013, 11:43 PM.

Comment

It is often asserted that the killer "knows police procedure", hence that he may be a law enforcement officer of some kind. Is the basis for this the fact that he knew to keep all of his cell phone conversations under 3 minutes, so they could not be traced?

Also, how do you pick up victims on craigslist without creating an electronic trail that can be traced back to you?

Comment

Originally posted by Damaso Marte View Post
        Also, how do you pick up victims on craigslist without creating an electronic trail that can be traced back to you?
        Now, that is the question, isn't it? Especially 15 years ago or so as some of the deaths occurred before burner phones became so readily available, or known about in the general population.

Wonder how long proxy servers have been easily available?

Is it possible that the murders were long enough ago that the phone/Internet records are not readily available?

And I suspect it's probable that law enforcement has information that is not being shared with the public.

Let's hope they're closing in.
        curious

Comment

Originally posted by Damaso Marte View Post
          It is often asserted that the killer "knows police procedure", hence that he may be a law enforcement officer of some kind. Is the basis for this the fact that he knew to keep all of his cell phone conversations under 3 minutes, so they could not be traced?
          This can be easily learned from watching cop shows. I think this "law enforcement background" thing is a red herring, a false lead. Profiling is lagging a little behind real life, so when an UNSUB displays certain behaviours profilers look for direct correlating factors (Displays knowledge of law-enforcement = has law enforcement background). In reality, he could have learned this by watching CSI.

Tor, probably, or another anonymous proxy system. Tor is free and easy to install and allows virtually untraceable internet surfing. It is not beyond the technical expertise of even a layman so again, an IT background is not necessary (however, as with the law-enforcement thing, I wouldn't rule anything out).

Comment

Hi everyone as you can see i'm new here and to all of this. I am french so i might struggle for a while..

I saw some people talking about the killer and saying he could've worked in a park or something since he knows a bit about police and the burlap bags..

Well why didnt anyone talk about Joel Rifkin??? He was a friend of Owen smith, the son in-law of former cia-chief William Casey. Owen was president of the Arboretum and Joel did an internship at the Planting Fields Arboretum State Historic Park in Oyster Bay. Owen got him into it.

Now i guess you guys know who Joel is right? The ny serial killer with like 17 victims who cut them up just like what we are seeing now. And he had access to those burlap bags....in a state park...........

I mean if the police doesnt think these new victims are Joels work but work of a new guy..its kind of fuc... ironic that some people here think the killer is linked to parks and/or place with tree bags. Is it a Copycat comicly baiting us or what? Its almost too dumb to be true but it is such a coincidence. Same place, same kind of victims more or less(lets bring em up to study)..i dont know what else to say for now, i hope to exchange thoughts from you all.

I was about to say the newfound corpses might be those of Joel but then there was a phone call....but was that phone call a sad prank? I noticed that in the usa the laws regarding cellphones numbers are loose, its easy to search and obtain..or if the phone call was directly at the home well..even easier huh. Could it be the reason that the ''case'' isnt going forward?

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous543 View Post
              Hi everyone as you can see i'm new here and to all of this. I am french so i might struggle for a while..

I saw some people talking about the killer and saying he could've worked in a park or something since he knows a bit about police and the burlap bags..

Well why didnt anyone talk about Joel Rifkin??? He was a friend of Owen smith, the son in-law of former cia-chief William Casey. Owen was president of the Arboretum and Joel did an internship at the Planting Fields Arboretum State Historic Park in Oyster Bay. Owen got him into it.

Now i guess you guys know who Joel is right? The ny serial killer with like 17 victims who cut them up just like what we are seeing now. And he had access to those burlap bags....in a state park...........

I mean if the police doesnt think these new victims are Joels work but work of a new guy..its kind of fuc... ironic that some people here think the killer is linked to parks and/or place with tree bags. Is it a Copycat comicly baiting us or what? Its almost too dumb to be true but it is such a coincidence. Same place, same kind of victims more or less(lets bring em up to study)..i dont know what else to say for now, i hope to exchange thoughts from you all.

I was about to say the newfound corpses might be those of Joel but then there was a phone call....but was that phone call a sad prank? I noticed that in the usa the laws regarding cellphones numbers are loose, its easy to search and obtain..or if the phone call was directly at the home well..even easier huh. Could it be the reason that the ''case'' isnt going forward?
              Hi, Anonymous543,
              Welcome to the boards. Hope you enjoy your time here.

I believe Joel Rifkin's name has been mentioned as the possible killer of the bodies that were killed earlier. If I recall correctly, Rifkin has confessed to about 4 that have never been found. However, I read something that says Rifkin denies the Gilgo Beach bodies are his.

Also, the more recent bodies have been killed after Rifkin was imprisoned, so he has an alibi for those.

Have you any thoughts about the later victims?

curious

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
                Hi, Anonymous543,
                Welcome to the boards. Hope you enjoy your time here.

I believe Joel Rifkin's name has been mentioned as the possible killer of the bodies that were killed earlier. If I recall correctly, Rifkin has confessed to about 4 that have never been found. However, I read something that says Rifkin denies the Gilgo Beach bodies are his.

Also, the more recent bodies have been killed after Rifkin was imprisoned, so he has an alibi for those.

Have you any thoughts about the later victims?

curious

Oh my bad then sorry i should've readed more.

Well thoughts about the later victims..i'll read over the info because i think i have it all wrong.

I did once thought he could've been Owen since the guy has ties with the security sector, is rich and has access to burlap bags and runs parks around the sector (and knew rifkin real good) but then would he risk all AND..could he really be where he is now with such a devious pastime..That would be beyond BTK quality who worked with the police and participated in the searches of his own victims, kinda rare..i mean not that much but the president and son in-law of some cia chief to go on a killing spree only in the summer? Does that guy travel a lot? He could but i'd like proof.

I personnally think he must of found something interesting about Rifkin to get him an internship despite his criminal record. Why would a guy with ties to the security sector do that, its such a gamble business wise. Its contratry to what is teached in human ressources and business classes. It is also odd to seek media attention to talk about rifkin when he got arrested for murders. I would hide my face if i was owen and my friend/employee got arrested while i am the son in-law of the cia chief. I sure wouldnt talk to the media to say: oh he didnt fit in the others bla bla bla.

But then if he would be a rich guy AND a serial killer.....it would be dumb of him to seek media attention while not undercover right? Or maybe hes just that dumb once his ego kicks in just like all the others. Id love to know if he got investigated even if the odds are incrediblyyyyyyy low if not existant.
                Last edited by Anonymous543; 11-03-2013, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Oh my bad then sorry i should've readed more.

Well thoughts about the later victims..i'll read over the info because i think i have it all wrong.

I did once thought he could've been Owen since the guy has ties with the security sector, is rich and has access to burlap bags and runs parks around the sector (and knew rifkin real good) but then would he risk all AND..could he really be where he is now with such a devious pastime..That would be beyond BTK quality who worked with the police and participated in the searches of his own victims, kinda rare..i mean not that much but the president and son in-law of some cia chief to go on a killing spree only in the summer? Does that guy travel a lot? He could but i'd like proof.

I personnally think he must of found something interesting about Rifkin to get him an internship despite his criminal record. Why would a guy with ties to the security sector do that, its such a gamble business wise. Its contratry to what is teached in human ressources and business classes. It is also odd to seek media attention to talk about rifkin when he got arrested for murders. I would hide my face if i was owen and my friend/employee got arrested while i am the son in-law of the cia chief. I sure wouldnt talk to the media to say: oh he didnt fit in the others bla bla bla.

But then if he would be a rich guy AND a serial killer.....it would be dumb of him to seek media attention while not undercover right? Or maybe hes just that dumb once his ego kicks in just like all the others. Id love to know if he got investigated even if the odds are incrediblyyyyyyy low if not existant.
                  Hi, Anon,
                  You have obviously studied Rifkin much more than I have as I know nothing about this Owen person. I checked out Rifkin only in connection with the Long Island killings when his name came up in something I was reading.

Since it appears (again from my memory, so not always reliable) that Rifkin seemed to acknowledge those he had killed, I got the impression the writer tended to think the Long Island bodies belong to another killer. Very strange to consider two similar killers using the same dumping ground. I'm wondering if it's the same guy who just relocated after the first several, then moved back after none of his bodies were discovered. . .

just pondering here.

curious

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
                    Hi, Anon,
                    You have obviously studied Rifkin much more than I have as I know nothing about this Owen person. I checked out Rifkin only in connection with the Long Island killings when his name came up in something I was reading.

Since it appears (again from my memory, so not always reliable) that Rifkin seemed to acknowledge those he had killed, I got the impression the writer tended to think the Long Island bodies belong to another killer. Very strange to consider two similar killers using the same dumping ground. I'm wondering if it's the same guy who just relocated after the first several, then moved back after none of his bodies were discovered. . .

just pondering here.

curious
                    Yeah indeed rifkin didnt even use burlap bags and the new victims got killed while he was in jail. I got carried away and propaged misinformation thats real bad. I hope a mod can please delete at least part of my old message since i cant seem to edit it. Initially i meant to talk about the rifkin/owen connection. Burlap bags access and family implication on owens part with the public security sector.

Rifkins jailed, he didnt kill the new victims. Owen knew a serial killer tho..and has access to burlap bags. Small connection but still one nonetheless you know..

1.1-Rifkin killed and hes jailed.
                    1.2-Rifkin got an intership in l.i. at the l.i. arboretum with burlap bags but didnt use them.
                    1.3-A new killer has emerged. He uses some burlap bags.

2.1-Owen Smith is at the arboretum which has some burlap bags.
                    2.2-Owen Smith is not jailed and he knew Rifkins.
                    2.3-Owen Smith is the son in-law of a public security figure.

As for the victims well its been said, easy prey..Kim Raffo one the victims of atlantic city, well her ex-husband(Auslander) is in construction. Both also lived in Long Island. In construction burlap bags can and are used especially for cement buckets....The guy now lives near a beach in florida from my understanding. But of course hes been investigated so....i want to leave him in peace but as for Owen or maybe some of his collegues/employees of the arboretum in Long Island....theres the burlap connection and i can only guess that since hes the son inlaw of some cia chief, police didnt want to bugger him too much or maybe even his employees/collegues.
                    Last edited by Anonymous543; 11-05-2013, 12:12 AM.

Comment

I was about to say i'll make a list of every place involved and/or that came across in one way or another with burlap bags/tissue/rolls/etc to restart a casebook investigation instead of relying on newspaper and imagination but then what?

We'll have a good long list to start with but, can we get employees names?

What about labour laws, law on access to information when its not about federal institutions? What about legal reasons, could one be a p.i., given a ''mandat'' and legally oblige companies to give out names since p.i.'s are legally obliged to protect information?

I know a lawyer, ill talk to him about it but are there any usa lawyers here willing to help???
                      Last edited by Anonymous543; 11-05-2013, 12:48 AM.

Comment

And i wonder what Barry Shulman would think of this

Comment

Just leaving this here since its a famous book about murder and it got reprinted by the arboretum where rifkin was and owen is. The unexpected guest and the mousetrap.

I can't seem to find a legal way, for me as a normal citizen, to confirm who and where is the real owen smith so see down below, i might not be the good one but if it is its also a coincidence that he voluntereed on a police force.

Comment

Does Lankowicz ring a bell to anyone? I saw the name somewhere i've been reading and searching so much intel..i didnt take notes and i cant seem to find what i saw involving that name

Comment

Does Lankowicz ring a bell to anyone? I saw the name somewhere i've been reading and searching so much intel..i didnt take notes and i cant seem to find what i saw involving that name
                              Hi, Anon,
                              I know nothing about Lankowicz. Have never seen the name that I recall.

Your Owen Smith interests me (Thank goodness he's dead so we can't be held for libel or slander) because he was a college professor in California and all the recent murders were in the summer -- when school would likely be on break . . .

A coincidence of timing, surely, but interesting, nonetheless.

But would he not have been too old for the latest killings?

curious

Comment

This case reminds me of a modern day ripper. At least 4 of this SK victims were in the 34th st Penn station and 42nd st Port Authority vicinty. There are many many unidentified victims and I suspect many were found in the SK's hunting ground of Times Sq so they could be tourist, street people, anyone. I think like the ripper this SK uses the anonymity of the city as a shade and he;s able to find victims while hiding in plain sight.

It shouldnt however be too hard to find out who the SK is, proving it may be harder but figuring out who may be simple. 1. It has to be someone who spent a ton of time on Ocean Parkway so likely someone who grew up or whose family owned a business on ocean parkway. 2. The person is in Manhattan daily, most likely works right near Penn or 42nd near 8th avenue and either drives back to Long Island/NJ or takes the train.
                                3. Obsessive cell phone user. This is the person who calls and calls over and over like ocd.
                                4. Uses prostitutes frequently and probably in 90's and 2000's heavily frequented LI streetwalkers and was very involved in "mongering"
                                5. Obsessed with true crime tv, books n movies, obsessed with other SK's

Someone must know this person...can the SK be pinned down to living within a certain area near massapequa where melissa's phone pinged from? Whats the Manorville connection with the 6 bodies there?

Comment

Working...
                                X