Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killers & Criminals who wrote letters

Hello,

I haven't written on the Casebook forums for years, so first, I apologise if I'm putting this at the wrong place. I hope you're all fine and safe in this worldwide madness that is 2020.

I've started a series of articles on true crime involving writings and as I'm always curious, I'd like to know if one of you could suggest me more criminal cases in which letters, texts or any written communication has been an important point.
    So far, I've thought about Zodiac, Son of Sam, Albert Fish, the Axeman of New Orleans and the Happy Face Killer, as well as the Circleville Writer for poison-pen letters. Of course, I already covered Jack the Ripper...
    If you think about other cases, I'd love to learn more on the subject.
    Thank you in advance, I can't wait to read your suggestions!
    Take care.

George Metesky, the Mad Bomber.
    Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Thanks, I will look into it!

Comment

Maybe the heading of the thread should be "Killers & Criminals where letters alleged to have been written by them appear in the investigations".

Comment

It is the idea of the post (and my series of articles) but I thought it would be too long for a title

Comment

Didn't the BTK killer finally get caught through his correspondence?

Not really sure that JtR really counts as it is more than likely, that the actual killer never wrote any of the more famous letters that have been attributed to him.

Tristan
            Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

You're right, I think Dennis Rader qualifies.
              The killer doesn't have to have written the letters, there just needs to be writings involved with the case. But of course, if the killer is the writer, that's also something that interest me. For JtR, I was trying to see what motivated people to write Ripper letters, but it could be great to research about how writing is part of a killer's psyche in another case (the Circleville Writer for example is fascinating if you know the case). Thanks for your answers, I hope to find new food for thoughts

Comment

the unabomber, BTK, JonBenet Ramsey case, the GSK-although I think they are still trying to confirm those.

Panzram and HH holmes wrote "confessionals" also
                Last edited by Abby Normal; 06-16-2020, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Hi Abby, thanks for the tips. I didn't know writings were involved in the JonBenet Ramsey case. Also, what does GSK stand for?

Comment

Originally posted by E.J.H. View Post
                    Hi Abby, thanks for the tips. I didn't know writings were involved in the JonBenet Ramsey case. Also, what does GSK stand for?
                    the recently caught golden state killer, although I beleive his writings have not been confirmed.

the killer wrote a lengthy ransome note in the JB ramsey case.

Comment

A well known author who wrote a story based on a crminal conspiracy in which he was involved?

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

the recently caught golden state killer, although I beleive his writings have not been confirmed.

the killer wrote a lengthy ransome note in the JB ramsey case.
                        Thanks I will look it up!

Comment

Originally posted by harry View Post
                          A well known author who wrote a story based on a crminal conspiracy in which he was involved?
                          Do you have more details?

Comment

If would be a real turn up for the books if we could find a letter penned by the person known as "Jack the Ripper."
                            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

E.J.H.
                              How about Ian Fleming?

Comment

Working...
                              X