Documentary: 'Arthur Conan Doyle, Murder Detective'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Documentary: 'Arthur Conan Doyle, Murder Detective'

Here's a very good documentary focusing upon the real-life murders investigated by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

It's called 'Arthur Conan Doyle, Murder Detective' and is offered by one of my favorite YouTube channels, 'GhostWatching'.
    We all known Conan Doyle as the famous author of Sherlock Holmes but he investigated and helped to solve some actual murder cases too.

'Arthur Conan Doyle, Murder Detective': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwhtakNDc4I

Enjoy! Best regards, Archaic

PS: All you Conan Doyle fans might want to note that there are many related videos linked to this one.

Thank you, Archy.
    "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Thank You for that I love Conan Doyle and of course Sherlock Holmes.

I named my first Dacshund Sherlock even though she was a girl but not after Sherlock Holmes!

Bet you can't guess who the Sherlock was

Comment

Hi Celesta & Belinda, glad you like the video.

Belinda, did you name your pup for the Apple search-tool called Sherlock? I thought there was also a puzzle or something called Sherlock too.
        It's a great name. I have never heard of any children being named that though, have you? Perhaps a mercy for their sake- awfully hard name to live up to. Like being named 'Einstein' almost.

My little nephew named his pet bunny-rabbit 'Sherlock Holmes', which I thought was very funny... especially as that rabbit didn't have a clue!

Cheers,
        Archaic

Comment

I shall be giving this a watch, Ive just got into Doyle and Holmes...

Comment

I named her after Sherlock Hound

I read these books when I was about eleven or twelve.They are fabulous. I can't believe they aren't still in print

Comment

Sherlock Holmes/Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Biography

Here's another good full-length video; this one a biography of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle that takes an in-depth look at his creation Sherlock Holmes.
              It includes filmed interviews with Conan Doyle discussing Sherlock Holmes and topics such as all the fan mail that arrives addressed to Holmes.

It includes a look at The Sherlock Holmes Museum in London. I really enjoyed this video so thought you might too.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Biography:
              A look into the life of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the creator of Sherlock Holmes by Nigel Williams.

Best regards,
              Archaic
              Last edited by Archaic; 04-10-2010, 09:35 PM.

Comment

> Sherlock Holmes Trivia Question! <

OK, let's see who gets this right before watching the Holmes/Conan Doyle biography in my previous post.

What were the original names that Conan Doyle came up with
                for his beloved characters Sherlock Holmes and Watson?

Cheers,
                Archaic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                  OK, let's see who gets this right before watching the Holmes/Conan Doyle biography in my previous post.

What were the original names that Conan Doyle came up with
                  for his beloved characters Sherlock Holmes and Watson?

Cheers,
                  Archaic
                  Sherrinford Holmes and Ormond Sacker?

Comment

Trivia Answer

Steven, you WIN! Good job.

Sherrinford Holmes and Ormond Sacker don't roll as trippingly off the tongue as Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, do they?

Maybe there is something in a name.

Best regards,
                    Archaic

PS: Apparently the wicker chair used for the illustration below is on display at the Sherlock Holmes Museum in London.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Archaic; 04-11-2010, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                      Steven, you WIN!

Good job.

Sherrinford Holmes and Ormond Sacker don't roll as trippingly off the tongue as Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, do they?

Maybe there is something in a name.

Best regards,
                      Archaic
                      Maybe there is. Do you know where they first appeared?

Comment

Oh, no, now I will probably get it wrong, Steve!

Was it in 'A Study In Scarlet', or earlier?

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

It was indeed "A Study in Scarlet", Beeton's Christmas Annual 1887. We owe a great deal to Stamford.

Comment

Hi Steve. Whew, that's a relief; glad I got it right!

Here is the fabulous cover of that issue.

Best regards, Archaic
                            Attached Files

Comment

Archaic

Dear Archaic,

That is a superb picture of BCA 1887. Thank you for forwarding it to me. I see that we are both fans of Holmes and Watson. Forgive me if I am telling you that which you already know, but Leslie S. Klinger's annotated version of the books is superb, as are the BBC Radio versions of the stories featuring Clive Merrison and Michael Williams.

I realise that we should be talking about George Edalji and Oscar Slater in this thread but cannot help myself.

Holmes forever!,

Steve.

Comment

Working...
                              X