• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really. Old. News.

Comment

Mark Dixie

I had already mention Dixie at the beginning of this thread

Comment

Dixie is not yet a confirmed serial killer - convicted of one murder, and suspected of about three more in Australia. I'm dubious about Dixie but I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be the Claremont Killer.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkPassenger View Post
          I count about 80 British serial killers in the 20th Century. David Wilson's count of 20 is flawed.
          Hi - I was directed here when doing some recent research, and noted that you say that my count is "flawed". In fact you are describing the 20th Century and my last book - which must be what you are referring to - is only concerned with serial killers between 1960-2006. So too in that book I make clear that I am only counting (with the exception of Harold Shipman - given that that case was the subject of a public inquiry) those people who were convicted of killing three or more vicitms at court. I also exlude foreign born and raised serial killers active in Britain during this period, and those people who might have been suspected - sometimes strongly - of killing three or more vicitms but were in fact never charged. I specifically acknowledge that the number of serial killers who make up my list - and also the numbers of those who were victimised - is therefore an "underestimate".
          Of course all of this becomes even further compromised when one then tries to remain consistent with what we actually mean by the label "serial killer", and I note a number of the threads on this discussion have included people who murdered less than three victims, did not allow for a cooling off period and so forth. Indeed, the case of Brumfitt is very interesting, but I really don't see how 15 years (the time that he spent in custody) could be described as a "cooling off period", and he is also excluded.
          Leaving all these ambiguities to one side, in Hunting Britons what I was trying to do was show that much of what is written about serial killing stems from the medical-psychological tradition, and that if we instead took a structural view then we would discern patterns in relation to which groups fall victim to serial killers. It will come as no surprise to readers of this web site that these victims come overwhelmingly from five main groups - including prostitutes.
          all best
          DW

Comment

Good to see you on this very fine site Prof. Wilson.

I was often confused by your incredibly low number of serial killers, when I personally have tried to compile a larger list.

I'll post a list of serial killers who I believe fit the criteria used in your works, yet are not included - criminologists and those interested in the subject, such as myself, should co-operate and I hope to (now this sounds pretentious but I mean it not to be) possibly enrich your knowledge?

I own both your books Serial Killers 1960 - 2006 and Hunting Evil, and both are very interesting reads. I am studying criminology and have a particular interest in British serial killers.

Do you believe that immigrants may join those vulnerable groups targeted by serial killers in the future?

Comment

2 for your immediately - Steven Grieveson, a gay serial murderer, convicted of 3 murders in Sunderland during 1992-3, who is very unknown yet I feel incredibly important.

And Trevor Joseph Hardy, who murdered 3 girls in Manchester during the early 1970s. Again, very little exists besides the wikipedia page. Which I created!

Comment

Levi Belfield
                Peter Moore
                Andrew Roundtree
                Steve Wright
                Robert Maudsley
                Peter Manuel
                Steven Akinmurele
                Anthony Hardy
                John Straffon
                Mark Martin
                Daniel Gonzalez
                Colin Norris
                Mary Bell
                Mark Hobson
                Colin Pitchfork
                Steven Grieveson
                Alun Kyte
                William McNamee
                Allan Grimson
                Ronald Jebson (unsure)
                Raymond Morris (unsure)
                Robert Napper
                Philip Smith
                Nicholas Vernage
                Barry Peter Pruden
                Paul Bostock
                Joseph Kappen
                Kiernan Kelly
                Trevor Hardy

Here is a list of 29 serial killers I believe warrent closer examination, based on the sample I have read in your book, Prof. Wilson. I hope this can be of some help in creating a wider picture of the problem of serial murder.

You said research brought you here - could I ask what your next project is?

Comment

i find neville heath extremely interesting .. he may have in fact could have been the uks ted bundy if wasnt caught ... they were similar in many ways ..... the book man into wolf provides a glimpse into heaths personaility the book is hard to find i have a copy
                  " a strange thing is the soul on the earth" (g/trakl)

Comment

Myra Hindley's secret files opened,

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
                    Regards Mike

Comment

• Thanks Mike. Those documents were minuscule compared to what I'd expected to see. Do you know if there are any pictures of Hindley in her later years? I wonder how Myra is handling her current accommodations.
                      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                        Thanks Mike. Those documents were minuscule compared to what I'd expected to see. Do you know if there are any pictures of Hindley in her later years? I wonder how Myra is handling her current accommodations.
                        Probably hoping that Lord what's his name will pop up to start a petition for either early release or an really good air conditioning unit!

Jeff

Comment

• Don't you remember? She re-converted to Catholicism. Her sins are forgiven.

Comment

• I saw some pictures a few years ago were she was looking very old and wrinkly. Apparently at the time she was smoking so much, the prison authorities were worried she would die!
                            Regards Mike

Comment

• Hi Mike,

I wish I'd known, I would have sent her a carton of Chesterfields.
                              This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                                Hi Mike,

I wish I'd known, I would have sent her a carton of Chesterfields.
                                Better still 10 cratefuls. A great Person once said "If anyone should hurt one of these little ones, better a millstone be tied around his neck........

Comment

Working...
                                X