No announcement yet.

Tales of the New Orleans Axeman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps New Orleans could turn the centennial into a draw for much needed tourist dollars.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
      Perhaps New Orleans could turn the centennial into a draw for much needed tourist dollars.
      that would probably raise protest from do gooding "anti violence" associations like it always does in that kind of events. Of course they're still in need of money to rebuild the city, but the city is bouncing back very well lately. plus there is no need for a crime centennial to enjoy oneself in NO, it's one of the sweetest cities on earth. Now the stories of the New Orleans axeman is just like a treat, something you add to your stay to make it even better

Comment

Originally posted by Sister Hyde View Post
        that would probably raise protest from do gooding "anti violence" associations like it always does in that kind of events.
        That could be the case. I don't know if the citizens of New Orleans are more sensitive than Londoners but they were having JtR tours at about centennial time, if not before.

Stan Reid

Comment

Of course, JtR is much more the cultural phenomenon than the Axeman. I doubt that half the population of New Orleans has ever heard of this serial killer.

Stan Reid

Comment

I expect they will become more aware in the next few years.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Stan

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
              I expect they will become more aware in the next few years.
              Why ?

Comment

I expect that the 100 anniversary might generate some coverage.

Stan Reid

Comment

The Axeman is waiting for his Sourcebook or Sugden.

Comment

I haven't followed this thread, but I just got the book The Axman Came From Hell. It looks like the Axman case is a ghettofied crackhead version of the Ripper mystery. Absolutely dying for thorough research. Still solvable.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Thanks Tom. I'll look forward to your review.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Stan. Don't you have the book? As far as I'm aware, there has never been a full book devoted to these murders, which is remarkable. only pages 11-60 in 'The Axman came from Hell' is devoted to the the New Orleans Axmen. The rest of the book are chapters devoted to various ax murders throughout the south, including one on the Texas servant girl murders.

I must say the Axman case is one of the most remarkable serial murder cases I've ever read about. Far more outrageous and odd than the Ripper, but lacking in the sophistication, which is probably why it never caught on in the States the way the Ripper crimes did. Funny that it had it's own chalk graffiti message, not to mention a letter from 'Hell'.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Tom:

Yes, some interesting parallels.

I don't have the book but plan to go the Barnes & Noble tomorrow so who knows. Perhaps I'll get it for Christmas or buy it with a holiday gift card I receive then.

Stan Reid

Comment

I got it for like 2 bucks off Amazon. The author is a good writer, and quite objective. My only complaint (because I'm spoiled by Ripperology) is that his primary if not ONLY source are newspaper reports. More to the point, he only uses ONE newspaper. He asks me questions throughout the write-up that I believe could be easily answered by census data and other resources available to us.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I completely agree that the case is truly fascinating. We know what happens when one uses only ONE newpaper - as Cornwell did for Polly Nichols : she even can't name the constables properly.

A very promising field, thus.

If I were American, Tom, I'd try to be the Axman's Sugden...

Comment

One worry would be that several people might have the same idea David with the centennial and all. What are there, about 15 Titanic books coming out? That said, a Ripper researcher would be much better practiced in proper researching than some opportunistic journalist.

The first I learned about the case was in Colin Wilson's Introduction to D. Rumbelow's Ripper book back in the mid 1970s.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X