Tales of the New Orleans Axeman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
    In early March of 1919, the Times-Picayune received the letter posted "From Hell" as per the upper right-hand corner.
    Possible correction: Although I don't think the letter still exists and the implication was that it was from Hell, I now believe that it may have only said "Hell" rather than "From Hell" and that this might have actually been in the upper left-hand corner. Sorry if I was mistaken or misinformed.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Unlike JtR and after all these years, it's interesting to me that there's only one major suspect in this case and even he's quite nebulous.

Stan Reid

Comment

Unlike JtR and after all these years, it's interesting to me that there's only one major suspect in this case and even he's quite nebulous.
        .....yes...but we need a "Complete History of the Axeman"....or an "Axeman : the Facts"....not to mention an "Ultimate Axeman Sourcebook".

Amitiés,
        David

Comment

Axeman A-Z or Portrait of a Killer: The Axeman Case Closed or Axeman: The Final Solution or The Mammoth Book of Axeman

Stan Reid

Comment

I might not remember correctly but I think I read somewhere that Cruti was shot. There must be a police record or something.
            I believe Cruti was killed in 1910 so does anyone know the date of the centenary?

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
              But he is more precise (in the same paragraph that begins with "Local records...") about the Sciambras, "both shot at close range and thus divorced entirely from the Ax Man crimes."
              Yes, I see it puts the date on May 16 of 1912.

Stan Reid

Comment

The earliest murder I've heard of that some people think might have a connection to the case was the gunning down of Black Hander Paul Di Christina by grocer Pietro Pepitone in 1909. I believe Di Christina's real name was Paolo Marchese.

Stan Reid

Comment

Not that it was an Axeman crime but that the Mike Pepitone murder may have been a killing to avenge this slaying.

Stan Reid

Comment

Interestingly, two men, Iorlando and Frank Jordano, were actually convicted in the case. Their guilty verdicts were later declared null and void though when a witness recanted her accusations.

Stan Reid

Comment

For some reason Rose Cortimigilia put the frame on the Jordanos and later confessed to the perjury. Since they were up for hanging, I'm not sure why she wasn't charged with attempted murder.

Stan Reid

Comment

Rose's husband, Charles Cortimiglia countered her accusation but, for whatever reason, the jury chose to believe her.

Stan Reid

Comment

I've never read a good explanation as to why she accused them.

Stan Reid

Comment

Then tell us more about the bad explanations you've read, Stan.
                            It's such a fascinating case.

Amitiés
                            David

Comment

Hi David:

When she recanted in 1920, Rose said that she accused them out of spite and jealousy but I can't imagine that could be so strong as to try to get someone killed. You would think she'd have other things on her mind because her little daughter had just been murdered, in fact, accusing the wrong men would actually result in the real killer going free. How could jealousy and spite be stronger than wanting the actual killer of your infant daughter caught?

Stan Reid

Comment

Hard to swallow Stan, I agree......but such things can be....we should know more about that family.

Amitiés
                                David

Comment

Working...
                                X