Did a serial killer go unrecognized?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in my Day...

Also, there's probably a word for it, but as the breadth of available knowledge increases, the depth of what people generally know seems to be decreasing. I'm constantly amazed at how much people just 15 years younger than I am don't know about fairly recent history. I would think that if I (I was born in 1967) know about the Lindbergh kidnapping, people born in the 1980s would know about the Patty Hearst kidnapping, but then I think about how much information people have been bombarded with, and how much of "the present" there is to keep track of anymore, I guess people have less and less time for history.
    Couldn't agree more you all. I'm of the belief that every step forward is also an equal and opposite step back. With the internet, information abounds but what youngsters today don't understand is that information is not knowledge. With cable tv, many of the old films are shown but few youth are interested. Also, I've read that deep reading is nearly non-existent amongst the young, few have the patience to read a novel like Anna Karenina for example. Research has shown that concentrated reading of this type even develops new neural pathways that don't come from anything else. This makes one wonder what our brains will become?

Now like you, I don't want to seem or be curmudgeonly, I know many great things have come of late; my being able to instantly communicate with impressive people like you all for instance, but I do wonder what digital distractions are doing to people's ability to focus. It's like the entire culture is ADD.

A few years back I read a book called A Peace to end all Peace by David Fromkin. A very detailed tome that certainly upped my WWI knowledge.

Anyway, I know we're off topic and I apologize. I do like to discuss what modernity is doing to the human species though...

Probably should take that to a pub thread...

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by RivkahChaya View Post
      I don't want to be one of those people grumbling about how no one knows how to bail hay anymore, or drive a mule team. Some things aren't so important anymore. [emp. added]
      I really do know that it's "bale hay." Sometimes my keyboard drops a letter (a bug not entirely worked out of wireless technology), then I pick the wrong autocorrect suggestion, because I'm just not paying enough attention.

Comment

Two more unsolved "elderly" single business women murders from the era were Annie Nichol, 67, and Eleanor Hammerton, 80, both, in different cities, were killed in 1945.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by GregBaron View Post
          Also, I've read that deep reading is nearly non-existent amongst the young, few have the patience to read a novel like Anna Karenina for example. Research has shown that concentrated reading of this type even develops new neural pathways that don't come from anything else. This makes one wonder what our brains will become?
          There's a new US film version of Anna Karenina, which I haven't seen, but which is being touted in the trailers and ads as a "great love story." The hell? Must be a different Anna Karenina. Honestly, if I had to write ad copy for Anna Karenina, it would probably be "Some people should have low self-esteem."

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
            Two more unsolved "elderly" single business women murders from the era were Annie Nichol, 67, and Eleanor Hammerton, 80, both, in different cities, were killed in 1945.
            I believe that Nichol was killed in Leeds while Hammerton was slain in Sheffield.

Stan Reid

Comment

Both were shop owners as I recall.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by RivkahChaya View Post
                There's a new US film version of Anna Karenina, which I haven't seen, but which is being touted in the trailers and ads as a "great love story." The hell? Must be a different Anna Karenina. Honestly, if I had to write ad copy for Anna Karenina, it would probably be "Some people should have low self-esteem."
                I haven't seen either version.

Stan Reid

Comment

The core of these lone businesswomen murders was in the late 1940s.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                    The Wallis slaying actually reminds me of the murder scene of Anna Massey in the Hitchcock film Frenzy. I wonder if he used it as a pattern.
                    The film Frenzy was said to be inspired by the Jack the Stripper Case but the Massey character is nothing like any of the victims in that series so maybe Hitch decided hybridize the tale a bit.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Ms. Massey played a business woman where the Stripper victims were all prostitutes on a variety of levels.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I don't recall the occupations of the other victims in Frenzy or if it was even stated.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                          Of course, 67 isn't elderly since now days middle age doesn't end until you turn 70.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Julia was referred to as elderly by a lawyer in The Man From the Pru, which I think was taken from court records, and that was when they thought she was something like 48 years old.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                              Of course, 67 isn't elderly since now days middle age doesn't end until you turn 70.
                              The end age of middle age keeps getting pushed later but the beginning still stays at 40.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Gawd Stan, I'm 60 tomorrow and some days I feel distinctly elderly...but every old dog has his good days too! I suspect, (so long as one's not actually falling apart), it's all in the mind anyway...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X