No announcement yet.

The Reid Scale: Classic Unsolved Murder Cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Wood was guilty, he was better at playing innocent than Lizzie and O.J., in my view at least.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

I still don't see how Lizzie Borden is a level 2, which seems to mean there is an even chance she was guilty or innocent. I think anyone who has read her deposition would come to the conclusion that she is guilty. I would put her in Level 1, along with OJ. Just because some books have been published suggesting other suspects (Morse, the maid, Emma, etc) doesn't mean much of anything.

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
        Level 2: Cases where there is no standing conviction but where there is a somewhat better than even chance that one suspect did it.

Note: "one suspect" could also be one pair of suspects or one group of suspects
        Hi Rob:

It probably doesn't help but I did later slightly modify Level 2 as shown above.

No problem though - I expect disagreements

Stan Reid

Comment

I don't really understand why level 2 would be anything other than exactly in the middle, since that is where it falls on the scale.

Comment

I wanted to come down on one or the other side of the fence.

Stan Reid

Comment

Examples:

0-Richard Speck (1966)

1-
              A-Kenneth Hansen (1955)
              B-Fager Family Murders (1987)

2-Caroline Luard Murder (1908)

3-Walker Family Massacre (1959)

4-United Airliner Bombing (1933)

Stan Reid

Comment

Additional:

0-Charles Starkweather

1-
                a-Wayne Williams
                b-Roland Molineaux

2-Marilyn Sheppard Case

3-Black Dahlia Case

4-Zip Gun Bomber

Stan Reid

Comment

The Reid Scale: Classic Unsolved Murder Cases

Level 0: Cases with a standing conviction and where there is no serious doubt regarding the verdict (Ted Bundy).

Level 1: Cases where there is a standing conviction but some doubt about it (James Hanratty).

Level 2: Cases where there is no conviction but where there is little doubt regarding the perpetrator (Bella Kiss).

Level 3: Cases where there is no standing conviction but where there is a better than even chance that one suspect did it (Lizzie Borden).

Level 4: Cases where there are good suspects but they are independent and/or conflicting (Jack the Ripper).

Level 5: Cases where there is no serious suspect (The Original Nightstalker).
                  Unupdated but renumbered for clarity (quote modified)
                  Last edited by sdreid; 05-18-2011, 02:52 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hasn't Hanratty been proven guilt via DNA evidence making him a 0 on the scale?

Comment

I would actually say that but I don't that's a consensus.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Bounder,

That would be my view, but take a quick look (if that's possible) of the A6 threads.

Best wishes.

Comment

I stated my opinion early in one of the first A6 threads and then left for the hills never to even check back.

Stan Reid

Comment

Unupdated but renumbered for clarity (quote modified)
                            Renumbered and delettered

Stan Reid

Comment

if you read a great deal about the Dahlia case, you'd peg it at a -4- at best.

just sayin!

Comment

Yes, a 3 in the old system is a 4 in the new system.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X