No announcement yet.

Regional Murder Mysteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I see that David Dowaliby's conviction was reversed outright and the Illinois Supreme Court refused to review that finding so he can not be retried.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by RivkahChaya View Post
      In the US, the jury cannot make up things like that, and can only consider evidence that is introduced, not that the members infer.
      I've been on a jury, and in our case at least, we ended up acquitting the fellow largely based on the experiences of myself and another member in having ridden in the back of a Chevy cargo van with a bare steel floor, and knowing in consequence that there was no way the defendant could possibly have overheard the discussion that the driver and passenger were having unless they were shouting.

The judge did tell us that we weren't go to look at the scene of the crime (he let us go home overnight), and that we had to rely upon the evidence presented, but it seemed very much common sense to all of us to make use of all available knowledge, and not treat it as an exercise in scoring a debate.

The prosecutor had proved that the defendant was in the van when a crime was being planned, but by no means had proved (or even tried to) that the defendant could overhear. The defense didn't say a word about that either. I'm guessing that neither one had ever ridden around in the back of one of those.

Unless the jury were explicitly told that those marks were there when the Dowaliby family moved in, then I think they made a reasonable assumption in treating them as evidence, since they were part of the photograph.

From a layman's point of view, it often appears that trials are more of a game than an attempt to discover the truth.
      - Ginger

Comment

• I wonder if he'd be willing to take a polygraph now that he's in the clear.

Stan Reid

Comment

• G'day Stan

I wonder if he'd be willing to take a polygraph now that he's in the clear.
          I know I wouldn't, either way.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• I know where you're coming from and I know they're not particularly accurate but I think I would go for it if I was innocent.

Stan Reid

Comment

• G'Day Stan

But if it says innocent plenty of people will say it's not accurate anyway and if it shows a false guilty they'll say, see I told you so.

To me it's a no win.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• I don't know if Bundy was ever polygraphed but if he was I bet he'd have passed

Comment

• G'day Belinda

Originally posted by belinda View Post
                  I don't know if Bundy was ever polygraphed but if he was I bet he'd have passed
                  And there lieth the problem with polygraphs.
                  G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                    And there lieth the problem with polygraphs.
                    It reminds me of a "Seinfeld" episode where Jerry's current girlfriend wants him to take a polygraph when he claims something she can't believe. So when talking to George about this situation, Geoge gives an enigmatic smile and just says, "Remember, you can answer what you want if you believe it!" Which would mean that any serial killer has to gear himself or herself up to believing they never did anything and they can beat the polygraph test!!

Comment

• G'day Jeff

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                      It reminds me of a "Seinfeld" episode where Jerry's current girlfriend wants him to take a polygraph when he claims something she can't believe. So when talking to George about this situation, Geoge gives an enigmatic smile and just says, "Remember, you can answer what you want if you believe it!" Which would mean that any serial killer has to gear himself or herself up to believing they never did anything and they can beat the polygraph test!!
                      Not sure it's as simple as George makes out, but there's a reason most countries/States don't let them be used as evidence.
                      G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                        According to the Torso Wiki article, the Torso movie is supposed to be back on the burner after being shelved - we'll see.
                        Was this movie to be about the torso murders of the 1888 period or later?

Btw, Torso: 'shelved' and 'back burner'...not a pretty picture.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                          Was this movie to be about the torso murders of the 1888 period or later?

Btw, Torso: 'shelved' and 'back burner'...not a pretty picture.
                          Hi Beowulf:

It's supposed to be about the unsolved Cleveland murders of the 1930s

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                            Not sure it's as simple as George makes out, but there's a reason most countries/States don't let them be used as evidence.
                            I think your willingness to take a polygraph is viewed with at least as much importance as the results.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                              I think your willingness to take a polygraph is viewed with at least as much importance as the results.
                              In a personal case, even more so.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by belinda View Post
                                I don't know if Bundy was ever polygraphed but if he was I bet he'd have passed
                                Yes, polygraphs don't have much use when the person has no conscience.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X