No announcement yet.

Centenaries - whole and half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200 years ago - 1813 October 1 - Johann Miltenberg succumbs from arsenic poison that had been administered by his wife Gesche. She would later become known as Gesche Gottfried after a second husband who she also killed. In all, she murdered 15, including family members, acquaintances and a fiancée, from 1813 through 1827 in the cities of Bremen and Hanover. Her judgment came in 1831 when the serial killer was publicly beheaded by sword in the square at square at Bremen.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1963 October 10 - Rubin Markowitz, a New York City bookie, is gunned by a man who owed him a $7,200 gambling debt. The killer, Mark Fein then stuffed the victim in a trunk and tossed it in the river where it was found the following month. Fein's girlfriend spilled the beans and he went to prison for a long sentence. The murder was never adequately explained since Fein was a millionaire and he could have easily paid off the debt.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago today.. The Lodger

The Times List Of New Books And New Editions..
        The Times (London, England), Wednesday, Oct 08, 1913; pg. 10; Issue 40337.

Pat......
        Attached Files

Comment

• Oh dear, done it again....

Oops, I just went back to the first page and realised it was murders discussed on this thread. I hope fictional ones will be allowed ?

Pat...........

Comment

• No problem Pat - it's certainly related to a murder. It was an interesting thing to learn as well.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1963 October 13 - A Cincinnati waitress named Lillian Greer vanishes from the apartment above her workplace. Perry Zinzigk, her employer, is questioned and passes a polygraph test. When police search the building, they find a freshly poured patch of concrete in the basement. Digging it out, they find Greer's remains. Zinzigk was convicted of killing Greer and given a 50 year prison term.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Hi Stan

Is he the one that died back in 1984?

Cheers

Dave

Comment

• I think so Dave due to the usual name but I couldn't find anything for sure other than what may be him on some ancestry sites. Maybe you have more.

There's an anecdotal entry there that indicates that he may have won parole after 15 years.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I think so Dave due to the usual name but I couldn't find anything for sure other than what may be him on some ancestry sites. Maybe you have more.

There's an anecdotal entry there that indicates that he may have won parole after 15 years.
                    Blimey Stan...freed in 1979? That'd surely be unusual...I can see I'll have to do some digging (not in fresh concrete though!)...it's going to come down to that unusual middle name isn't it?

All the best

Dave
                    Last edited by Cogidubnus; 10-11-2013, 02:57 PM.

Comment

• Hello Stan

No luck I'm afraid...unusual circumstances notwithstanding...it's almost as if the crime was never commited

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Name:
                        Perry L Zinzigk

Birth Date:

Race:
                        White

Residence City:
                        Cheviot

Residence County:
                        Hamilton

Residence State:
                        Ohio

Residence Country:
                        United States

Death Date:
                        23 Jul 1984

Hospital of Death:
                        University Hosp. Cinci General

City of Death:
                        Cincinnati

County of Death:
                        Hamilton

Certificate:

Age at Death:

Certifier:
                        Coroner

Autopsy:
                        Yes, used for certification

Social Security Number:
                        268-18-3780

Marital Status:
                        Widowed

Census Tract:

Comment

• The actual birth date seems to be Nov 5th 1919.

I have seen his middle name as "Lefaraian" and "Lestetti."

Comment

• I cannot find him on here :

Comment

• Thanks Dave and Robert. The case is in World Encyclopedia of 20th Century Murder by Jay Robert Nash. That's where I found the account.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                                Thanks Dave and Robert. The case is in World Encyclopedia of 20th Century Murder by Jay Robert Nash. That's where I found the account.
                                Hi Stan,

You have to be careful with Nash's "encyclopedias" because of an interesting trick he adds to his entries. He does not like to have his work used by other writers without any acknowledgements or requests for permission. So he adds details to his entries (particularly the major ones, which are false or misleading to trap people doing that.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X