The Zodiac Killer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Maurice,

It makes some assumptions but it's about a close as these types of movies get especially with an unsolved case. I wish they hadn't given the first murders such light treatment though. Often the first attack in a series is the most important. Since it's based on Graysmith, it is overly fixated on Allen.
    Last edited by sdreid; 09-08-2009, 04:01 AM.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Thanks, Stan. Have you read the book? Is it worth getting?

Given your edit, I assume you think that Graysmith is off the mark.
      Last edited by The Grave Maurice; 09-08-2009, 04:10 AM. Reason: Additional data

Comment

Hi Maurice,

The book is a good overview so I think it's worth the read. Yes, I don't think Allen is the guy. None of the hard evidence matched him despite the volume of circumstantial stuff.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
          The Jake Gyllenhaal movie was on TV late last night.
          I actually like the film The Zodiac (not to be confused with some trash that came out at about the same time and with similar titles) that came out the year before this one better I think. Both are good.

Stan Reid

Comment

Like the director I lived in the bay area and was a little kid when the Zodiac killings went on, and the film is in my opinion is brilliant--one of the most accurate and haunting period pieces of those times ever achieved. It's more about searching for a killer, procedure and obsession than who really did it(though the film's implied conclusion is in line with the book it's based on).

I was curious too as too how much of it adhered to the facts; googling turned up a page dedicated to a "fact vs. fiction" list of inaccuracies. Even so the murders themselves were meticulously recreated, and I didn't think the deviations that were made were whoppers-they were trivial by Hollywood standards.

Comment

I loved the movie "Zodiac" and though I know Robert Graysmith has many detractors and has gotten some things wrong, I guess I like to root for the underdog and I do believe he is correct that Arthur Leigh Allen was the Zodiac. Its often pointed out that the hard evidence failed to implicate him and that only circumstancial evidence points to him. But the hard evidence is in dispute- maybe the fingerprint found in Paul Stine's cab wasn't really made by the killer, maybe a psychopath's handwriting can be altered when he goes into a personality change, and the letter used to test for DNA has been disputed as being a genuine Zodiac letter (or even if it was he could have had someone else lick it for him). And as for circumstancial evidence, I've never understood why it should be considered synonymous with "worthless," especially when there is a veritable mountain of it against someone. And Graysmith is hardly the only player in the case who shares that theory. If anyone's opinion should count it is Inspector Dave Toschi (played by Mark Ruffalo in the movie), who also believes Allen was the Zodiac.

For a full run-down of the evidence that points to Allen, see the Bawart Report, a 30-point study by Vallejo detective George Bawart produced in 1992 when an arrest of Allen was actually being considered. (He died before it could take place.) The report is reproduced in full in Graysmith's 2002 book "Zodiac Unmasked," and here on the zodiackiller website:

Taken all at once, it is hard if not impossible to brush off.
              Last edited by kensei; 09-08-2009, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Allen enjoyed the attention.

Stan Reid

Comment

The problem with Graysmith's book is not just that he is overly focused on one suspect, or that some of his information is inaccurate. Its that he completely FABRICATED some evidence in order to implicate his favorite suspect Allen.

If you have the time watch these YouTube clips produced by Michael Butterfield which lays out much of the false information that was put out by Graysmith.

Jeff

Comment

In some ways I feel like the "Zodiac" Movie is like "From Hell" they take the most popular suspects, pop them into the plot and make it happen. This is great for Hollywood and entertainment sake (also understanding that the movies aren't made to produce facts as much as dollars), and I do enjoy both movies immensely. I just don't really think the Arthur Leigh Allen is the killer, though I believe kensei makes some good points. I actually am starting to wonder more about Jack Tarrance though. Has there been anymore work done investigating the Tarrance theory?
                    Cheers,

Ryan Miller

Comment

I believe Zodiac is going to be covered on MysteryQuest, a new show on the History Channel. They show the case in the promo for the one hour program but don't give a broadcast date. By all indications, it's at least two weeks (perhaps many weeks) out.

Stan Reid

Comment

This may be self-evident, but does anyone else think Zodiac was trying to imitate "Jack's" style in his (Zodiac's) communications with the police and press? There are some other interesting parallels but this is one that has particularly piqued my interest.
                        Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook. PM me for the link.

Comment

Im currently reading "Times 17" by Gareth Penn - one the most astoundingly intricate "true crime" books you will ever read. They are incredbily rare and I got mine (one of only two copies I could find online anywhere) for $100.

Its basically solving the case using complicated mathematical code, radians, military code breaking etc to fit everything from letters to crime scenes to one man and its pretty genius. Apparently everyone that reads it cant believe the authors suspect isnt behind bars - its THAT convincing, here is a little about the author: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth_Penn

Comment

I do't know if arthur Allen Leigh (speeling?) was a good suspect for the Zodiac killings, but Graysmith certainly builds a feasible case for him being responsible to the roadside slayings and attempted kidnappings that Zodiac did not take credit for in his letters. Both Zodiac books by Graysmith are enjoyable reads despite clear flaws.
                            There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkerton View Post
                              The problem with Graysmith's book is not just that he is overly focused on one suspect, or that some of his information is inaccurate. Its that he completely FABRICATED some evidence in order to implicate his favorite suspect Allen.

If you have the time watch these YouTube clips produced by Michael Butterfield which lays out much of the false information that was put out by Graysmith.
                              Butterfield is as obsessed with Zodiac as Graysmith is and undoubtedly considers Graysmith a rival for expert status. Both men are equally equipped and qualified as experts on the case, and Butterfield's website is a goldmine of Zodiac material. However, his charge that Graysmith deliberately attempts to mislead by manufacturing evidence is not supported by the facts. Some theories put forward by Graysmith may be weak and their validity questionable, but I think it's more a case of him keeping an open mind and considering all possibilities than deliberately falsifying facts. Without getting into an argument on this, I suggest reading all the available evidence on the case with an open mind and drawing your own conclusions.

John
                              "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
                              Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

Originally posted by AdamWalsh View Post
                                Im currently reading "Times 17" by Gareth Penn - one the most astoundingly intricate "true crime" books you will ever read. They are incredbily rare and I got mine (one of only two copies I could find online anywhere) for $100.

Its basically solving the case using complicated mathematical code, radians, military code breaking etc to fit everything from letters to crime scenes to one man and its pretty genius. Apparently everyone that reads it cant believe the authors suspect isnt behind bars - its THAT convincing, here is a little about the author: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth_Penn
                                This 378-page book is either a testiment to one man's magnificant obsession or the delusional reasonings of a paranoid schizophrenic. No one can argue the extent to which Mr. Penn has researched and documented his case against university professor Michael O'Hare. If you begin this fascinating book, it will be difficult to put it down; and if you can finish the book, you might actually believe O'Hare was Zodiac. I did - for about 15 minutes. Then I returned to realilty. I'm not suggesting that Mr. Penn is psychotic, but his Times 17 did remind me of a psychoanalytic case study presented by Robert Lindner in The Fifty Minute Hour. In it, Dr. Lindner describes a patient who was so detailed and convincing in his claim that he was a space traveler, that over time the doctor actually begins to believe the delusion. At any rate, both books are certainly worth the read - if you can find them.

John
                                Last edited by Dr. John Watson; 01-03-2011, 06:15 PM. Reason: Underlining titles.
                                "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
                                Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

Working...
                                X