No announcement yet.

True Crime Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw that Kensei but it's not resolved in my mind. Toole was an attention seeker and never could tell authorities where the rest of the body was. I used to write for America's Most Wanted when then were putting out a magazine.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Wow, we are on really different pages. None of your Top 10 would make mine, LOL.

I had to go down to 12, 29, and 30 to even find three I might include in my top 10.

Maybe I missed it, but have you considered Road to Perdition, which I believe writer Max Collins based loosely on some history... which he's been doing so well since True Crime, True Detective and The Million Dollar Wound... (all novels offering fictionalized but highly researched stories of a fictional detective interacting with a historical people.)
      Last edited by CraigInTwinCities; 12-24-2008, 08:00 PM.
      All my blogs:
      MessianicMusings.com, ScriptSuperhero.com, WonderfulPessimist.com

Currently, I favor ... no one. I'm not currently interested in who Jack was in name. My research focus is more comparative than identification-oriented.

Comment

I didn't include those "loosely based" when I really didn't see the basis nor did I list movies that I haven't seen.

I'd be happy to see others lists since there are no right or wrong answers, just personal judgments, and I hope they'd do better than just rearrange my list.

Stan Reid

Comment

Tremendous 10000000 (binary):

10000000-The Happy Face Murders (1999-U.S.-1:39) Serial killer Keith Jesperson

1111111-Beyond Reasonable Doubt (1980-N.Z.-2:09) The case of Arthur Alan Thomas

1111110-Prophet of Evil: The Ervil LeBaron Story (1993-U.S.-1:50) The Lamb of God cult murders

For now - That's all folks!

Stan Reid

Comment

Representing the many heartless women who operated baby farms, I remember one a number of years ago called "Butterbox Babies" about a Canadian couple who ran a maternity home for unwed mothers and black market baby adoption service. Meanwhile, they starved the less likely infants and buried them out back in wooden crates that butter came in. Since it happened in the 1920's there is still a large group of "Butterbox" adoptees.

Joan

I ain't no student of ancient culture. Before I talk, I should read a book. -- The B52s

Comment

Yes Joan, that is a good one even though I listed it as #108.

Thankfully, baby farming is a crime that now appears to be extinct.

Stan Reid

Comment

Stan, did ze French Connection make the cut?

Oh, and Merry Christmas

Who Pudding and Roast Beast!!!
                Sink the Bismark

Comment

Hi Roy,

No doubt that's a great picture. I should have specified that I was thinking more in terms of movies about murders. That's just me.

Merry Christmas

Stan Reid

Comment

A Few Other Titles

The Man With Two Faces (Edward G. Robinson, Louis Calhern) - a 1936 film based on a play written in part by true-crime maven Alexander Woolcott. So far it is the only movie somewhat based on the Peltzer Murder Mystery of 1882 in Belgium.

So Evil My Love (Ann Todd, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Ray Milland, Raymond Huntley, and Leo G. Carroll) - 1947. Based on a novel that is suggested by the Bravo Poisoning Case. But the conclusion, in a closed hansom cab, is somewhat closer to the 1904 Nan Patterson/Caesar Young Case of New York City.

Blanche Fury (1945) (Stewart Granger). This is a fictionalized version of the Stanfield Hall Slaughter of 1848, wherein a farmer and renter named James Blomfield Rush tried to get out of debt by killing his landlord and the landlord's son, and critically wounded the son's wife and a maid (he wanted no witnesses). Granger played the "Rush" character, but was far more handsome looking than the short and fat killer (who was hung. Blanche Fury in the film is a fictional character, egging on Granger to his deed to benefit by it - she doesn't actually.

Bluebeard's Ten Honeymoons (1960) (George Sanders). Sanders certainly was the most elegant and suave actor to play Landru.

Monsieur Verdoux (1946) (Directed: Charles Chaplin) (Charles Chaplin, Martha Raye, Isobel Elsom, William Frawley, Fritz Lieber, Arthur Hoyt) - the best black comedy ever made, based on Chaplin's spin on the Landru Case (suggested by an idea given him by Orson Welles for a straight biography).

Death of a Scoundrel (1957) (George Sanders, John Hoyt) - a fictionalization of the career and "mysterious' murder of crooked financier Serge Rubenstein.

Marat / De Sade (1968) (Glenda Jackson) - a filming of the drama based on the so-called play and production of the Marquis De Sade at the insane asylum he was in, regarding the 1793 assassination of Jean Paul Marat by Charlotte Corday (Jackson).

The Patriot (1929) (Emil Jannings, Lewis Stone) - this lost film was supposedly the last great silent film performance of Jannings. It is about the events leading to the deposing of Tsar Paul I of Russia (which led to his murder) in a conspiracy led by Count Pahlen (Stone), who was the one man in court who actually befriended the Tsar. Stone was the "patriot" in the story.

The Scarlet Empress (1934) (Directed: Josef von Sternberg) (Marlene Dietrich, John Lodge, Louise Dresser, Sam Jaffe); The Loves of Catherine the Great (1934) (Elisabeth Bergner, Douglas Fairbanks Jr.) Both films try to tell the story of the events leading from the arranged marriage of Sophia Dorothea of Mecklenberg Streglitz (later Catherine the Great of Russia) to Crown Prince Peter of Russia (later Peter the III). Dietrich and Bergner played the future great ruler in their respective pictures, and Jaffe and Fairbanks were the ill-fated mad Tsar whos was overthrown and murdered in 1764. The Scarlet Empress shows von Sternberg's use of artistic scenery and costume to make La Dietrich even lovelier than she was). Bergner's film is good too, but tries to make a case that she did love the insane Peter, and regretted his fate.

Jeff

Comment

• Thanks Jeff. Of those, Marat / De Sade and Bluebeard's Ten Honeymoons are the only ones I've seen.

Stan Reid

Comment

• A few more

Hi Stan,

The recent release of Tom Cruise's newest reminded me of these:

The Desert Fox
                        The Night of the Generals
                        Valkyrie
                        [There was also a television film about this about fifteen years ago]:

The Rastenburg Bomb fiasco of July 20, 1944. A noble and brave attempt to end a nightmare, which was prevented from total success due to the bomb planter not doing the obvious (sacrificing himself by staying put with the bomb next to the target until it exploded). Had von Stauffenberg done that, more than likely he would have died, but more than likely so would have Hitler.

The Damned (1970) (Dir: Luigi Visconti) (Dirk Bogart)
                        The film included the first retelling of the massacre of Ernst Roehm and his S.A. members in a surprise attack by the S.S known as "the night of the Long Knives" in 1934. It also is briefly shown and discussed in the biographical film Hitler with Richard Basehart.

The Mask of Demetrios (1945) (Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre, Zachary Scott, Victor Francken): Based on one of the best espionage and mystery novels of the 1940s, Eric Ambler's A COFFIN FOR DEMETRIOS / THE MASK OF DEMETRIOS. Lorre traces the career of a notorious criminal (whose body was just found in the Bosphorus) across Europe, discovering he was exceptional clever, and exceptionally evil. It is an episodic novel, and Greenstreet and Lorre eventually do find the secret of the mystery. One of the episodes deals with an actual event: the attempted shooting (and wounding) of Stambouliski, the Bulgarian Agrarian leader and Prime Ministerl in 1921. He survived it (in the story Demetrios is behind the attack). Unfortunately for Stambouliski, he was assassinated a number of years later.

Foreign Correspondent (1940) (Dir: Alfred Hitchcock) (Joel McCrea, Herbert Marshall, George Sanders, Eduardo Cianelli, Albert Bassermann - his first English language film role): An espionage fictional caper about a secret treaty clause (Hitch's "McGuffin" here), there is a segment at a peace conference that is obviously based on a tragedy in 1934. Bassermann (in the movie) is the leading political figure from Holland, who probably can prevent a war. He is entering the conference, when assassinated by a fake photographer, who proceeds to fire at McCrea (who is chasing him) shooting people in the crowd. This is suggestive of the assassination at Marseilles in 1934 of King Alexander of Yugoslavia and French Foreign Minister Louis Barthou by a Croatian, when Alexander and Barthou were holding meetings about what was known as the "Little Entente" of France and the states of Eastern Europe, which was meant to try to keep the Germans and Italian in check. [That double assassination was actually filmed by newsreel cameramen, and you can still see it on You Tube.]

A Scandal in Paris (1944) (Dir.: Douglas Sirk) (George Sanders, Alan Napier, Gene Lockhart). A well done "B" feature starring Sanders, it is entirely fictional, but is (as far as I know) the only film about the career of Vidocq,
                        the rogue turned policeman who founded the Surete.

That is all I can think of right now.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

• Vidocq

[QUOTE=Mayerling;59605]A Scandal in Paris (1944) (Dir.: Douglas Sirk) (George Sanders, Alan Napier, Gene Lockhart). A well done "B" feature starring Sanders, it is entirely fictional, but is (as far as I know) the only film about the career of Vidocq, the rogue turned policeman who founded the Surete.]

Hello Jeff,

Vidocq , a French film perhaps 8 years old or so, starring Gerard Depardieu and Ines Sastre, had Vidocq as its protagonist, but bore little relationship to the real-life character.

Cheers,
                          Eduardo
                          Asante Mungu leo ni Ijumaa.
                          Old Swahili Proverb

Comment

• Ann Savage, in my view the most underappreciated actress in film, died Christmas Day. She should have won the Oscar in 1945 for her role in Detour, which I don't know as a true-crime film but it is a true-criminal movie since her costar in the production was Tom Neal who was later convicted of killing his wife. A couple of years back, Time said that her portrayal of "Vera" in that film was one of the "10 All-Time Best Villains" in the history of movies. God speed Ann. She was 87.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Vidocq and Anne Savage

Hi Stan and Eduardo,

You know I still have not seen DETOUR, but I know of it's great reputation. Possibly the cheapest great film noir classic. I did not even know Ms Savage was still alive.

Vidocq was fictionalized by Balzac as "Vautrin" in several of his Comedie Humane series. If you saw (years ago) the B.B.C. series of PERE GORIOT,
                              Vautrin is a main character there.

Jeff

Comment

• Hi Jeff and Eduardo,

Savage actually made a film in 2006, My Winnipeg. She would have been 88 in February.

I believe Vidocq was the model for the cop in Poe's Murders in the Rue Morgue. It is generally considered the first detective story, I believe, although it also looks like Sci-Fi to me.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X