The Christie Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Sherlock,
    Hopefully it will live up to everyone's expectations! I subsequently learnt a little more about Beryl Thorley's family in the 1930s, Christie's finances in 1952 and Ruth Fuerst's movements and employments 1939-43. Too late for inclusion unfortunately. Hopefully readers will find the book of interest even if they disagree with me over the Evans business, not that that is the central issue here, as it was for John Eddowes or Ludovic Kennedy. The central issue is Christie himself, but expect new insights into his victims and Evans

Comment

• @ Honest John: you mentioned previously about a planned presentation of your book in November at the Lancaster Road community centre. Will this take place, as I would like like to come over to London for this purpose. Thanks.

Comment

• The talk at the community centre has been suggested to me and I am happy to give that but I haven't been given a date. I will check this and let you kniow. Otherwise the dates are 1 November at Ealing Town Hall, 8 November at Kensington Library and 21 November at the Shoe Library.

Comment

• I too would love to see a new documentary but can't imagine they'd do it because the standard version is now the one the establishment are happy with! Dineage prog. now on youtube- not v impressive at all, inaccuracies, no hint of any ambiguities in the case, an air of 'don't worry, Christie's dead, sleep tight!'

I look forward to the book of course but having read alarming stats about the forced closure of bookstores due to online selling, could i humbly suggest buying from a real shop, prefereably a small one without an online outlet. The price will be the same, i imagine. I use Amazon, Play etc...but mainly when i can't find the item for a comparable price in a shop.

Comment

• Sorry for the delay in replying. I am told that it is still on the cards but may take palce at the Tabernacle on Powis Square, but no date known at present.

Comment

• I understand that my copy of Honest John's book has just been dispatched by Amazon. I can hardly wait!!

Comment

• So, the day has arrived. As i live in Italy and have a very busy 2 months ahead of me, i am going to get some kind relative in England to buy it for me as a Xmas present and i will read it then along with the i'm sure numerous comments on this forum.
                Honest John, i hope you get good sales and if you're lucky, you might be accused of being a 'Christie supporter', as i was on this forum last year, for daring to suggest that our Tim wasn't whiter than white.
                See you all soon

Comment

• Just received my copy of Honest John's book this morning, and it is absolutely fascinating!!!!!!

Comment

• Any photos we haven't seen in other books??

Comment

• There are photos of Christie's mother by herself and with his brother Percy and his wife. There is also a document with a picture of Christie as he was back in the early 1920s. At that time the balding dome-shaped head is still unmistakeable, although he did not then wear glasses.

Comment

• I also learned from Honest John's book that Christie's brother Percy was alive until 1970 and that one of his sisters died around 1973, if I remember correctly. It seems that Christie may not have met his brother again after he left Yorkshire for London, although he sent his mother a picture of himself in police uniform during the Second World War; she died in Stockport in 1944, probably not having seen her youngest son in person for many years.

Interestingly, none of Christie's family seem to have attended his wedding to Ethel in Halifax Registry Office, which suggests that they may have disapproved of the marriage.

Comment

• The other point is that it was in a registry office and was not recorded in the local press. All his other siblings who wed in Halifax were married in church and had their weddings mentioned in the newspaper. We'll never know the whole story, of course, but a family rift seems likely, but why? No criminal offences as yet, of course.

Comment

• It is also interesting that Ethel had a physical relationship with another man before she was reconciled with Christie and moved to London with him. It also seems that she was fairly attractive as a young woman, unlike the later photographs of her in middle age in which she seems rather plain and stout.

As Christie was cited as co-respondent in the divorce case after his affair with the wife of the RAF man which continued until after the war, and actually created a scene in court, it seems highly unlikely that Ethel knew nothing of this relationship. In spite of this, she apparently decided to remain with her husband.
                            No doubt we will never know why she did not choose to leave him at this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Honest John View Post
                              18 October is the big day, as it were. Authors tend to look forward top books being published with a mixture of joy and concern, especially with anything controversial and I suppose I am no exception. One could always do better.

No news on a tv slot, regrettably.
                              Hello Honest John,

My computer has been giving me problems for several months. Anyway,
                              belatedly good luck with the book.

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                                Hello Honest John,

My computer has been giving me problems for several months. Anyway,
                                belatedly good luck with the book.

Jeff
                                Yes, good luck too from me, on the strength of positive reviews I've ordered a copy.

Comment

Working...
                                X