Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fights Break Out Over First Gender-Neutral Bathroom

c.d.

Ugh, imagine having to pee where boys do. Their toilets are so whiffy.

Comment

What I don't get about liberals who support this kind of thing is that they're forever preaching that gender is just a social construct, but at the same time they support transgender people who choose to have sexual reassignment surgery because they're "trapped in the wrong body" (even though it's really a mental illness but let's not get into that...). So which is it? Is gender a social construct or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
        (even though it's really a mental illness but let's not get into that...)
        At least you're not claiming they're possessed by the devil.

Almost all of the rightwingers I see complaining about this sort of thing try to argue their case on some level that doesn't involve them admitting that the real reason they oppose it is because the Bible says so. As if they know, deep down, how ridiculous that is.

Comment

What I don't get about liberals who support this kind of thing is that they're forever preaching that gender is just a social construct, but at the same time they support transgender people who choose to have sexual reassignment surgery because they're "trapped in the wrong body" (even though it's really a mental illness but let's not get into that...). So which is it? Is gender a social construct or not?
          Gender is a social construct. Sex is not.
          The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

When you think about it, the idea of gender-specific toilets is really kind of creepy.
            - Ginger

Comment

Transgender people have to spend half their time monopolising the bathroom, and the other half not being able to get into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
                Gender is a social construct. Sex is not.
                Modern society's tendency to normalize mental illnesses like 'transgenderism' is something that honestly scares the bejesus out of me. I was watching a TV show the other day where one of the guests was a middle-aged 'transgender' male, who was sat there dressed in a frock & a dodgy wig, and everyone insisted on addressing him as a 'she'. It's complete and utter madness. The guy needs psychiatric help instead of society enabling his illness in the interests of political correctness.

Comment

Harry, you're seriously under-educated about the issues of transgender people and completely wrong.
                  Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                  ---------------
                  Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                  ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                    Harry, you're seriously under-educated about the issues of transgender people and completely wrong.
                    I acknowledge that transgender is an actual disorder, gender dysphoria. However, the answer isn't to indulge people's delusion and mutilate their body parts. Invariably, transgender people who undergo sexual reassignment surgery have the same mental health problems they had pre-surgery. That's why they need the best psychiatric help available, just like anyone else who suffers from a mental disorder.

Comment

Here are some resources for you http://www.transequality.org/issues/...er-terminology

Look, "gender dysmorphia" being in the Diagnostic Manual of Mental Disorders doesn't actually make it a mental illness, any more than a law against "homosexuality" actually made it a crime -- yet plenty of people suffered the consequences of this sort of thinking.

Not all tranvestites are gay men, many are straight.
                      Not all transgender people go the final step to having sexual reassignment surgery.
                      Many people just want to express themselves outwardly in dress and action in a way different from their gender assigned to them at birth.
                      I'm a woman, but I see no point in wearing make-up and high heels because "society" says as a woman I must do so. That doesn't mean I don't like movies with bare-chested guys in them, or don't check "female" on forms.
                      Finally, you know there are chemical changes in the brain before birth that may lead to person growing up gay or lesbian, right?
                      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                      ---------------
                      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                      ---------------

Comment

I acknowledge that transgender is an actual disorder, gender dysphoria. However, the answer isn't to indulge people's delusion and mutilate their body parts. Invariably, transgender people who undergo sexual reassignment surgery have the same mental health problems they had pre-surgery. That's why they need the best psychiatric help available, just like anyone else who suffers from a mental disorder.
                        Well, first of all, it isn't a delusion. They really do experience significant distress in being the gender that they were born into. They are not under the impression that they are a different sex, they simply believe that they should have been. Which is at most neurotic, but by no means delusional. If living the life they believe they were meant to live brings about relief for that distress, that is a psychiatric solution. The goal in psychiatry is never to effect a cure, because 99 times out of 100 that's impossible. The goal is to relieve distress. Sexual reassignment does that. Now there will be growing pains, and it may turn out that not every problem a person has is wrapped up in their gender identity, but generally it is one of the more effective treatments in all of psychiatry. Far more effective than anti depressants.

And you may ask yourself if this is such a cut and dried thing, why is there a psychiatric disorder at all? And the simple answer to that is twofold. 1: They did used to try and treat this with integrative therapy in like the 40s. It failed. and 2: In order to have the surgery and have insurance pay for it, it has to treat a condition. Otherwise it's elective plastic surgery. So GID is in the books and is the disease of record that the surgery repairs. Assuming individual states recognize it and don't have exceptions to it, which is a thing. And a thing that needs to be stopped.

Comment

It would appear that some states are trying to sneak more into these bills than just who can use a particular bathroom.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                            It would appear that some states are trying to sneak more into these bills than just who can use a particular bathroom.

c.d.
                            Yeah, it's never really been about the bathrooms.

Comment

where do the hermaphrodytes go?
                              "Is all that we see or seem
                              but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                              X