No announcement yet.

Donald Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I note that Ford have effectively told Trump to get lost after he attempted to bully the company into reversing it's decision to transfer some.
    car production to Mexico.

I'm afraid Trump continues to demonstrate a startling ignorance as to how macro economics work. For instance, an iPhone, manufactured in China, retails for $765 dollars in the U.S., however, if it were made in America the price would increase to around $1,200. Even if American's were to pay these higher prices, i e. out of a sense of patriotism, the economy would be badly effected as inflation spiralled. In any event, most of the wholesale cost of an i phone goes to Apple, an American company, as the patent holder, something else Trump apparently fails to realize.

In any event, Trump has little chance of getting his way on protectionism. In fact, the majority leader in the House has already stated that he won't support him on this issue http://ijr.com/2016/12/749546-mccarthy-trump-trade-war/

More likely is that he will end up as a lame duck president, left wailing in the White House, like a child deprived of a new toy!
    Last edited by John G; 12-13-2016, 12:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
      I note that Ford have effectively told Trump to get lost after he attempted to bully the company into reversing it's decision to transfer some.
      car production to Mexico.

I'm afraid Trump continues to demonstrate a startling ignorance as to how macro economics work. For instance, an iPhone, manufactured in China, retails for $765 dollars in the U.S., however, if it were made in America the price would increase to around $1,200. Even if American's were to pay these higher prices, i e. out of a sense of patriotism, the economy would be badly effected as inflation spiralled. In any event, most of the wholesale cost of an i phone goes to Apple, an American company, as the patent holder, something else Trump apparently fails to realize.

In any event, Trump has little chance of getting his way on protectionism. In fact, the majority leader in the House has already stated that he won't support him on this issue http://ijr.com/2016/12/749546-mccarthy-trump-trade-war/

More likely is that he will end up as a lame duck president, left wailing in the White House, like a child deprived of a new toy!
      how much can IPhone possibly cost to make? I have a 30 dollar phone that I like better than any iPhone I ever heard
      edit: I looked it up and it says a few hundred dollars, but I don't get it. Why does it costs hundred of dollars to produce an IPhone but an android system phone sells for 30 dollars or less even?
      Last edited by RockySullivan; 12-13-2016, 12:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
        how much can IPhone possibly cost to make? I have a 30 dollar phone that I like better than any iPhone I ever heard
        edit: I looked it up and it says a few hundred dollars, but I don't get it. Why does it costs hundred of dollars to produce an IPhone but an android system phone sells for 30 dollars or less even?
        That's a very good question, which is answered by this excellent article: http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/ap...-make-3633832/

The article also perfectly illustrates why Trump is completely clueless about how the global economy works.

Comment

• Rex Tillerson, CEO of Exxon, named Secretary of State. not sure about this pick-would have liked to see someone of a more statesman like background and the whole CEO of oil company makes me a tad apprehensive.

Does anyone know why Giuliani, Gingrich or Christie got passed over???

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
            Does anyone know why Giuliani, Gingrich or Christie got passed over???
            Maybe because they were all politicans?
            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
            ---------------
            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
            ---------------

Comment

• Abby's already starting to taste that maggot infested syphilis ridden **** sandwhich he just woofed down. An oil executive as secretary of state? lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                I was hoping for something more specific?

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                  I was hoping for something more specific?
                  Probably because Trump promised you change, so why would he pick a corrupt politician? He chose an evil oil monger. What the **** were you expecting?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                    Most likely reason (as I am cynical about the Donald and his ethics) the fix was in and Donald will get a big payoff from his Exxon pals.

However, the reason given for not choosing Christie is a combination of his falling public credit numbers in New Jersey, where everyone knows he planned "Bridgegate" but has clumsily shielded himself at the expense of two of his tools, and because Christie is not of much use to Trump anyway. As a rival who swung over early to him (or reasonably early) he had some voter use in the primaries and election - their gone, so it's good-bye Chris! Also Christie, when he actually did his job as a prosecutor, sent the father of Trump's son-in-law to prison. The son-in-law has big influence with Trump.

As for Newt and Giuliani: Gingrich (aside from looking like he is - a washed up elder statesman of the 1990s) has nothing to recommend himself. Rudy has done the same thing with his expertise and speechmaking that was done by the Clintons, and which was used effectively against them by Trump in the election. That's why he is not head of Homeland Security (the only post he might have fit into.

In point of fact, no Mayor of New York in their post - Mayoralty careers, except for two got really into higher offices: those two were the wrong Clinton (DeWitt, not Bill or Hillery) who was Mayor in the first decade of the 19th Century, and then became Governor for several terms of the state of New York, and Mayor John T. Hoffmann, who was elected Governor of New York (his campaign "advisor"/manager was Boss Tweed) in 1868. None of the Mayors became a Presidential candidate of a major or minor party, except DeWill Clinton, who ran for President (and almost won) against James Madison in 1812, as a "Federalist". One candidate for Mayor of New York City did become President, and won election in his own right - Theodore Roosevelt, in 1886, ran against Abram Hewitt (ironmaster, Peter Cooper's son-in-law, and Tammany candidate), and economist/reformer Henry George. TR lost (and lost to both candidates). Subsequently (in 1894) TR would become the head of the Board of Police Commissioners for the City of New York, and reform the Police Department. He is the only New York City Police Commissioner who became President. One District Attorney of New York City became Governor and twice Presidential Candidate for the Republican Party: Thomas E. Dewey, after putting away various mobsters like "Lucky" Luciano in the 1930s, was a contender for the 1940 Republican nomination (losing to Wendell Wilkie), and was nominated in 1944 (losing to FDR) and in 1948 (losing to Harry S. Truman). Two former Mayors did have other careers in politics after leaving office: Fernando Wood (Mayor of New York in the 1850s - he helped create Central Park), served from a "silk stocking" district in Manhattan in the 1860s to 1881, when he died, and was the Democratic minority leader for a number of years (1873 - 1881) in the House of Representatives. William "Bill" O'Dwyer, Mayor in the late 1940s and early 1950s, got ensnared in a scandal involving Mob boss Frank Costello, and resigned his office in 1951 (he was replaced by Impilliteri, the least recalled of the modern mayors). President Truman appointed O'Dwyer to the post of Ambassador to Mexico.

While no Mayor of New York City ever achieved the Presidency, the second city in size in the state of New York did produce a President. Stephen Grover Cleveland was first Sheriff of Buffalo in the 1870s to 1880s, then elected to Mayor of Buffalo, then to the Governorship of New York State, and then the Presidency in 1884.

One Comptroller of the State of New York was President too. Millard Fillmore was a Whig state legislator, then Congressman for the western part of New York State, and head of the Ways and Means Committee (he got the needed Federal Funding for Samuel Morse's telegraph). In 1844 he was beaten for his race for the Governorship. But in 1846 he was elected Comptroller, a job that gave him executive training for his eventual term (as the successor to General Zachary Taylor) to the Presidency in 1850.

Although a public figure (as much as John Lindsay was) Giuliani just had the same ill-luck as a former Mayor of New York that most of his predecessors had.

Jeff

Comment

• US intelligence services have determined that Putin attempted to subvert the American Presidential election, using cyberattacks and propaganda tools to undermine Trump's Democratic rival, Hillary Clinton. Moreover, Russian hackers appear to have delved into US computers holding voter registration records and actual vote-counting machines.

And what is Trump's response to this outrageous hostile act by the Kremlin? Instead of demanding action against Russia he turns on America's own intelligence community, arguing that they are trying to undermine his victory!

Of course, it's rumoured that Trump's businesses are being bankrolled by Russia-the reason why he still refuses to publish his tax returns?-so that might explain a few things.

Nonetheless, as The Times points out in its lead article on Tuesday, "The president's first responsibility, however, is to the democratic process in America, not to the master of the Kremlin. Allowing Mr Putin to run amock in cyberspace, to undermine American citizens trust in their institutions, would be a reckless dereliction of his mandate." (The Times, December, 13, 2016)

This is absolutely correct. America needs a president who will stand up for the interests of the American people; not Putin's stooge.

I would note that Trump hasn't yet been elected president: the Electoral College vote takes place on December 19, and there are petitions urging the Electors to make a more suitable. Nonetheless, at this stage, it's possibly a bit of a long shot, however desirable that result might be!
                      Last edited by John G; 12-15-2016, 01:28 AM.

Comment

• Now even a respected Republican Senator, Lindsey Graham, says that the Russians hacked his email account and states that he believes they also hacked into the Democratic National Committee. He accused the Russians of "destabilizing democracy all over the world." http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38325364

Surely America needs a president who will stand up for democracy, and denounce the activities of Putin and his clique.

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
                          US intelligence services have determined that Putin attempted to subvert the American Presidential election, using cyberattacks and propaganda tools to undermine Trump's Democratic rival, Hillary Clinton. Moreover, Russian hackers appear to have delved into US computers holding voter registration records and actual vote-counting machines.

And what is Trump's response to this outrageous hostile act by the Kremlin? Instead of demanding action against Russia he turns on America's own intelligence community, arguing that they are trying to undermine his victory!

Of course, it's rumoured that Trump's businesses are being bankrolled by Russia-the reason why he still refuses to publish his tax returns?-so that might explain a few things.

Nonetheless, as The Times points out in its lead article on Tuesday, "The president's first responsibility, however, is to the democratic process in America, not to the master of the Kremlin. Allowing Mr Putin to run amock in cyberspace, to undermine American citizens trust in their institutions, would be a reckless dereliction of his mandate." (The Times, December, 13, 2016)

This is absolutely correct. America needs a president who will stand up for the interests of the American people; not Putin's stooge.

I would note that Trump hasn't yet been elected president: the Electoral College vote takes place on December 19, and there are petitions urging the Electors to make a more suitable. Nonetheless, at this stage, it's possibly a bit of a long shot, however desirable that result might be!
                          arrrhggg!!! "Putins Stooge"!?! I'm going to put a bullet in my head right now.

where was all the outrage when Russia hacked into the white House computers? THE ******* WHITE HOUSE?!?

Or when they waltzed into Syria and started helping the tyrant slaughter his own people?

HUH where!!???? Where was Obama then? where was Hillary? what a load of crap.

We need a new relationship with those *******s and I don't care if its under the guise of friendship or not. what the **** did Obama or the current administration do? right not a god dam thing.

Time for a change. we need a change.

and I like the fact that Trump is questioning a lot of things, including our IC. a lot of things need to be shaken up.
                          Last edited by Abby Normal; 12-15-2016, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• Actually....Hillary spoke out against Putin...several times, and intelligence has confirmed that part of this was a direct attack on Clinton by Putin for revenge.....Kerry and Obama have called out Russia repeatedly over the last 2 years....for some reason, Trump supporters ignore that fact......our ambassador to Russia WAS KICKED OUT AND BANNED FROM RUSSIA AS A RESULT...so to claim the administration did nothing just to go ong with the Trump narrative is just flat out wrong.....and yes this is different....we can have problems with people over their policy but this....this is VERY DIFFERENT..this is Russia interfering with the United States....not a policy disagreement...but a direct invasion....so yes....this is different....I am the one who said lets give Trump a chance, and took the high ground....but....if what the CIA says is true....well it is a risk we dare not take

Steadmund Brand
                            "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                              Actually....Hillary spoke out against Putin...several times, and intelligence has confirmed that part of this was a direct attack on Clinton by Putin for revenge.....Kerry and Obama have called out Russia repeatedly over the last 2 years....for some reason, Trump supporters ignore that fact......our ambassador to Russia WAS KICKED OUT AND BANNED FROM RUSSIA AS A RESULT...so to claim the administration did nothing just to go ong with the Trump narrative is just flat out wrong.....and yes this is different....we can have problems with people over their policy but this....this is VERY DIFFERENT..this is Russia interfering with the United States....not a policy disagreement...but a direct invasion....so yes....this is different....I am the one who said lets give Trump a chance, and took the high ground....but....if what the CIA says is true....well it is a risk we dare not take

Steadmund Brand
                              Cmon Steadman

"spoke out against" ? "called out" ? wow, I bet the Russians were shaking in there boots.
                              And that's the problem-talk talk talk, no action.

the hacking of the white house IT is not a "direct invasion"? its not "Russia interfering with the US"? I would say its a lot worse actually. The WHITE HOUSE! where was the investigation and outrage then? and How about Russia walking all over us in Syria? They sure were scared. Obama backed down after his big talk like the do nothing puss that he is.

and oh yeah while were at it lets just give one of our worst enemies and largest sponsor of terrorism in the world a few billion dollars. and do it in secret so nobody can see what fools we are. literally paying them extortion money.

Oh and this is the same CIA that the FBI disagrees with? You mean the CIA that is apparently making the claim but wont answer Congress questions about it and refuses to show up at hearings? they need a shake up anyway.

Its all just more political BS, your watching too much CNN.

Comment

• Hillary lost because (in addition to the fact she was slovenly and/or incapable) what was in the emails. Who hacked the emails, and it could have been any of a number including disgruntled Democrats, is immaterial.
                                Last edited by sdreid; 12-15-2016, 01:10 PM.
                                This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X