Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    Lol.
    Well I would agree with a lot of what you say. Yes being famous obviously helped but again a lot of people voted for him because they were sick of the corrupt do nothing politicians.
    Hi Abby.

What is shocking to most I suppose is that half of America seem to prefer a corrupt businessman, as opposed to a corrupt politician.

So, being corrupt doesn't appear to be the problem.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
      If it had not been for a substantial (and horrified) vote by the public, Time was going to name Adolf Hitler "Man of the Century". Instead, the vote gave the honor to Albert Einstein. But in truth the matter is rather ridiculous. One could make substantial cases for having named Winston Churchill, F.D.R., Mohandas Gandhi, Einstein, Hitler, or Joseph Stalin (or Lenin) "Man of the Century". A right in vote by Turks wanted Kemal Ataturk. The title is a stupid one actually - how does one conclude one man's life is more important than anyone else's? Hitler's evil did impact the globe, but compare that to say the discoverer of penicillin, who saved millions of lives with it. And why not call it "Person of the year" or "Person of the century"? The ass in the White House can hate political correctness as much as he wants to, but there is a point to it? I noticed few women's names on that "Man of the Century" listing, which bothered me.

Maybe we have outgrown this "Man of the Year" crap. The idea of pedestals for historic figures just doesn't fit any longer. Perhaps all such awards and recognitions are truly passe now.

Jeff
      I think 'man of the year' is a good idea, and 'woman of the year' for that matter. There's nothing wrong with setting an example by highlighting someone's actions. I do agree that 'historic figures' aren't the best qualifiers for 'man/woman of the year', and certainly someone like Hitler, and clearly Stalin who almost achieved the improbable by being even more psychotic than Hitler and associates; should really never be held up as people to emulate. Only in some warped, broken world would the likes of Hitler and Stalin ever be respected, which brings to mind that some people do actually respect these despots; so perhaps this is a warped, broken world.

And, scientists and people doing their jobs are not really people I would look up to despite what their impact.

What about your average man/woman on the street who demonstrates warmth and kindness in a selfless fashion, an action that benefits someone else with absolutely nothing expected in return. Surely that is something to be held up as an example? I suppose it depends upon what you would like the world to be.

Comment

• Be careful what you wish for...

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
        The thing to remember Rocky is that Trump is a strange type of charismatic (in a negative way) celebrity. Everyone who voted for him saw something in that mixture they thought they could relate to. They are all in for a terrible awakening sooner then they expect - and this includes the cackling hordes of "Tea Partyists" and extremists who don't know what (in the long haul) they've let themselves in for.

Jeff
        Yes, I think you're right. Truth was a victim in this campaign, but for Mr. Trump, it seems that lying is a life-long activity, so he is simply continuing his standard operating procedure.

I am worried that all the progress we've made in environmentalism will be swiftly undone, and pre-EPA levels of pollution will return, federal lands will be opened to mining and drilling, animals, birds, and plants will again die off in increasing numbers. Is that terrible enough for anyone?
        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          Hi Abby.

What is shocking to most I suppose is that half of America seem to prefer a corrupt businessman, as opposed to a corrupt politician.

So, being corrupt doesn't appear to be the problem.
          Hi Wicker
          disagree. It is a problem. the level of corruptness that the Hillary and together with her husband have achieved is a level far beyond what trump has done.

I mean, people end up dead in their slug trail of slime. I would add that multiple FBI investigations and using there public "service" to enrich themselves makes trump look like a boy scout in comparison.
          Machiavelli would be proud of the Clintons. Fortunately the American people, half of them at least, have seen through there bullshit and said enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
            Yes Abby, I agree with what your dad told you (though I don't actually know how to drive). But tell me - what if there is no way to avoid, or get around, the line of cars? Fly overhead by helicopter attachment perhaps?

Jeff
            Haha. someday.

Comment

Hi Wicker
              disagree. It is a problem. the level of corruptness that the Hillary and together with her husband have achieved is a level far beyond what trump has done.

I mean, people end up dead in their slug trail of slime. I would add that multiple FBI investigations and using there public "service" to enrich themselves makes trump look like a boy scout in comparison.
              Machiavelli would be proud of the Clintons. Fortunately the American people, half of them at least, have seen through there bullshit and said enough.

I agree with this. No doubt both Clinton's and Trump indulge in some very dubious practices. I see the difference between them being the Clinton's have done it largely on the public dime. We don't yet know if Trump will be as corrupt on the public dime as the Clinton's. The level's of corruption open to the Clinton's outstrips anything open to Trump so far. Trump's corruption has been limited to hotels and golf courses, the Clinton's corruption has been at the highest state level.

Comment

Hi Wicker

the American people have said "give me more!" not..."enough"...

Comment

• Mr. Trump doesn't accept the information presented by the CIA, doesn't agree that Russian "hacking" influenced the US election, says he doesn't want daily security briefings, due to being a "smart guy (who) doesn't need to be told the same things every day in the same words."
                  ---------------
                  Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                  ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/4b938...russia-hacking

Mr. Trump doesn't accept the information presented by the CIA, doesn't agree that Russian "hacking" influenced the US election, says he doesn't want daily security briefings, due to being a "smart guy (who) doesn't need to be told the same things every day in the same words."

What information presented by the CIA? There has been no information presented by the CIA in regards to this issue. What's been "presented" is an off the record anonymous leak to reporters. We have no idea if the leak is accurate, or, if it represents the views of the CIA as a whole. I notice the FBI is leaking opposite information; that no evidence exists that it was the Russians.

I suspect virtually no-one has a bloody clue who hacked the Clinton emails. Evidence may point in certain directions, but what we are seeing here is a pissing contest between intelligence agencies(or individuals within the agencies), the MSM and both main political parties.

Comment

• Anyone who isn't a moron can take one look at trump, or anybody slimy and evil enough to get the point where they are backed by a political party to run for president and see they aren't the answer to the problem. It's unfortunate they don't care about the environment though, as that's the only thing that really matters. all the rest is petty human bullshit
                      Last edited by RockySullivan; 12-12-2016, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• I mean look I don't give two ********s who the prez is but it's so funny to me how stupid everyone in the world is.

Comment

• China calls our President-Elect "as ignorant as a child" for saying he doesn't need to be bound by the One-China Policy, and might want the US to make deals with Taiwan.
                          Others point out that agreement was established back when the Soviet Union still existed, which it doesn't now, so do we still need to placate Red China to keep it from joining with Red Russia?
                          Hmmmm....
                          ---------------
                          ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                            https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.35bf5882a405

China calls our President-Elect "as ignorant as a child" for saying he doesn't need to be bound by the One-China Policy, and might want the US to make deals with Taiwan.
                            Others point out that agreement was established back when the Soviet Union still existed, which it doesn't now, so do we still need to placate Red China to keep it from joining with Red Russia?
                            Hmmmm....
                            Well
                            First of all, who gives a **** what the despot of china thinks about our leader talking to Taiwan. Especially such a silly comment and insult.
                            Secondly, good. They need a kick in the pants about Taiwan. Let's them know there's a new sheriff in town.
                            Thirdly, no worry about china and Russia getting together anymore.
                            Fourthly, let them worry about who's more in favor with the new no nonsense leader.

Comment

Fourthly, let them worry about who's more in favor with the new no nonsense leader.
                              Really Abby? No nonsense? It sounds like your living in some alternate reality....or....maybe you just can't taste bullshit ha ha

I mean look I get it...republicans vote one way and democrats vote another...me, I don't vote because I don't believe in this country. But to actually believe a politicians bullshit, especially a reality tv goon is a whole another level of stupid.
                              Last edited by RockySullivan; 12-12-2016, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Well
                                First of all, who gives a **** what the despot of china thinks about our leader talking to Taiwan. Especially such a silly comment and insult.
                                Secondly, good. They need a kick in the pants about Taiwan. Let's them know there's a new sheriff in town.
                                Thirdly, no worry about china and Russia getting together anymore.
                                Fifthly, everyone needs to know that the Tooth fairy and Santa Claus exists or else us Americans will destroy them!

Comment

Working...
                                X