Donald Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
    With all due respect Abby, in one or two years time I wonder if you will still feel that way.
    so do I.

fyi-I disliked Hillary even more than trump, but I would have said the same thing if she'd won.

lets see how he does, and our country too. its been a tough year.
    keeping fingers crossed

Comment

• Time to watch The West Wing box set again.

That should get me back to some form of normality.

Comment

• good talks Hillary, kane and Obama. Best of luck to them also.
        the country needs their continued work and help too!

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
          Well it just goes to show you do have to put your watch back decades if you cross the pond in a westerly direction.

I'm not terribly surprised, but my deepest sympathy goes out to all those who didn't vote for him.

Love,

Caz
          X
          Thanks, Caz, it's appreciated.

Oddly enough, Clinton won the popular vote, but it was the electoral vote that put Trump in office. I saw somewhere that the last time they considered changing the election process was in 1969.

On a happier note, voters in Washington, D.C., voted to petition for statehood as "New Columbia", which make them the 51st state. I read that they'll leave a "federal district" in the center of the city for the monuments and memorials. Could shake things up a bit if it happens...
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
            Thanks, Caz, it's appreciated.

Oddly enough, Clinton won the popular vote, but it was the electoral vote that put Trump in office. I saw somewhere that the last time they considered changing the election process was in 1969.

On a happier note, voters in Washington, D.C., voted to petition for statehood as "New Columbia", which make them the 51st state. I read that they'll leave a "federal district" in the center of the city for the monuments and memorials. Could shake things up a bit if it happens...
            Probably would get in as a state. Now if only they would seriously think of the three colonial problems which should be 52nd through 54th states: Puerto Rico, Guam, the Virgin Islands.

Jeff

Comment

• Ted-stradamus giving us the clue-in at Trump rally last week.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
              This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                They've been there before. The terms under which Maryland loaned the land for the District of Columbia require it to revert to Maryland if its status ever changes.
                - Ginger

Comment

• Hillary Clinton: 59,236,903 votes

Donald Trump: 59,085,787 votes

The people elected Hillary, the system elected Donald.

"How Hillary Clinton Won the Popular Vote But Lost the Election" by Chris Payne, Billboard, November 9, 2016.

Donald Trump defeated Hillary Clinton last night (Nov. 8) to become the 45th President of the United States. Here's a basic explainer of the United States Electoral College, which accounts for why winning the popular vote does not guarantee a candidate a trip to the White House.
                  Christopher T. George
                  Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                  just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                  For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                  RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                    Hillary Clinton: 59,236,903 votes

Donald Trump: 59,085,787 votes

The people elected Hillary, the system elected Donald.

"How Hillary Clinton Won the Popular Vote But Lost the Election" by Chris Payne, Billboard, November 9, 2016.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...n-popular-vote
                    But it's not the first time a candidate won the popular vote but lost the election.

Same as say here in Aus, or England a party can win the majority of seats but loose the popular vote.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Well. I didn't vote for him (neither could I bring myself to vote for Clinton), but I'm also not one of those feigning heart palpitations today because he was elected.

I read an absurd six hundred word post (I had some time on my hands) on Facebook that began, "For the first time in my life I'm afraid to be Jewish!" I don't recall Trump pledging fatwa on Judaism. But, hey. Close enough, right? As long as you can sound scared and smart and outraged and maybe shed a tear or two on social media.

It's almost as if there's a competition across social media....Who's the most "afraid"? Who's shed the most tears? Who feels the worst. I thought the Republicans were bad when Obama got elected. They predicted the end of capitalism, doom for the second amendment, the end of times. Guess what? We're all still here. Although, I'd suggest not nearly as united as we were in November 2008 (and we weren't all that united then).

I checked out of this election until late in the game because the parties nominated candidates I'd never vote for. I've always found Trump boorish, offensive, inarticulate, mean-spirited. I've felt for some time that the Clintons need to go away. Hillary has always struck me is disingenuous, calculating, dishonest, poisoned by her desire for power. There was zero chance either would earn my vote.

I think that Trump was elected because he's not a career politician. I think there is a hope that he'll take a wrecking ball to the political system itself. It is broken. May as well wreck it.

As well, I think there are many who voted for Trump because there were so many people telling them they could NOT vote for Trump. Hollywood. Talking heads. It was everywhere. As a Trump-hater, I recall hearing the president and the Clintons tell us that Trump had "disqualified" himself from being president. In spite of how I felt about Trump, as an American, that verbiage pissed me off in that. I told my wife that it pissed me off because (in that he was the Republican nominee at the time) the only way he could be "disqualified" at this point was by not being elected president by the American people. I can only imagine how that kind of thing struck people who are more right of center than I am, or people would DID NOT come into the election already opposed to Trump, as I had.

I hope the media realizes that they've abdicated their role in our democracy and they need to try and regain it. Report the facts. Don't follow up it with "analysis" and opinion that designed to tell the viewer/voter what to think. Stop trying to tell the masses HOW to think. Just let them think. Even if you have to hold your noses to do it.

It's ironic that the very people who I feel got Trump elected are now on television asking "how this could happen". Actors. Anchors. Pundits. Talking heads. They played a role in all this but they'll never see it because they're ideologues first and journalists second.

Comment

• It looks like the final Electoral College vote:

Trump-306
                        Clinton-232

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                          It looks like the final Electoral College vote:

Trump-306
                          Clinton-232
                          Pretty solid margin.
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
                            I checked out of this election until late in the game because the parties nominated candidates I'd never vote for. I've always found Trump boorish, offensive, inarticulate, mean-spirited. I've felt for some time that the Clintons need to go away. Hillary has always struck me is disingenuous, calculating, dishonest, poisoned by her desire for power. There was zero chance either would earn my vote.
                            This was not so much an election for the most favourable candidate, so much as an election against the most hated. I dare say most who voted Hillary did so to prevent Trump from becoming president, and the same thing with most who voted for Trump.

As well, I think there are many who voted for Trump because there were so many people telling them they could NOT vote for Trump. Hollywood. Talking heads. It was everywhere. As a Trump-hater, I recall hearing the president and the Clintons tell us that Trump had "disqualified" himself from being president. In spite of how I felt about Trump, as an American, that verbiage pissed me off in that. I told my wife that it pissed me off because (in that he was the Republican nominee at the time) the only way he could be "disqualified" at this point was by not being elected president by the American people. I can only imagine how that kind of thing struck people who are more right of center than I am, or people would DID NOT come into the election already opposed to Trump, as I had.
                            Oh come on. That went both ways. In fact, Trump was probably the one to use that kind of rhetoric the most. Hillary's a "crook", she's "not presidential", she's "not qualified"... I don't see how you only managed to hear this stuff from Hillary.

I hope the media realizes that they've abdicated their role in our democracy and they need to try and regain it. Report the facts. Don't follow up it with "analysis" and opinion that designed to tell the viewer/voter what to think.
                            You can't have one without the other. After all, that is what constitutes the bulk of "analysis": simply reporting facts - but choosing which facts to report. You can't report it all, so you have to be selective. If they merely presented the facts and made absolutely no comment on it whatsoever, it would actually be far more dishonest. When they do make commentary, at least you can read their bias off their sleeve.

Stop trying to tell the masses HOW to think. Just let them think. Even if you have to hold your noses to do it.
                            First rule of media: give the people what they want. Individuals think; people don't.

Comment

• The guy ridded us of the Bushs, he ridded us of the Clintons, he's going to rid us of Obamacare and we have an Eastern European supermodel for a First Lady-are things really all that bad?

Stan Reid

Comment

• Apparently Cher said that if Trump won, she'd move to Jupiter. I really hope she has a change of heart - Pluto's much further away.

Comment

Working...
                                X