• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
    ...or Australia!
    Don't encourage them.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
      Don't encourage them.
      Perhaps Pitcairn Island?

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
        Perhaps Pitcairn Island?

Jeff
        Or one of the penal settlements.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• One of the problems with Donald Trump is determining exactly what he believes in, although I'm not sure he knows that himself! I mean, didn't he start off by saying he would raise taxes on the wealthy, then he said he wouldn't, now he's saying he might? Of course, much of what he said during the campaign was possibly extremist rhetoric designed to help him win the nomination, but who knows?

The biggest concern, however, is that he's been advocating hard line protectionist policies, and the last time a president took that approach-Herbert Hoover-the result was the collapse of the banking system and a world wide depression that lasted for a decade:http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...e-larry-kudlow

Comment

• After telling us he would "negotiate" his tax plan with the democrats, so it "might not be the same", Trump now has stated he'll try lowering the U.S. national debt by not paying it off in full.
            A writer of an economy column explains why that is stupid, and not possible:

I'll admit to wondering if a businessman could finally help the government get back to negotiating, but I've got to admit that this particular businessman seems to be the wrong choice.
            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
            ---------------
            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
            ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
              Or one of the penal settlements.
              Our former naval personnel might consider Norfolk Island. It has a naval ring here.

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                After telling us he would "negotiate" his tax plan with the democrats, so it "might not be the same", Trump now has stated he'll try lowering the U.S. national debt by not paying it off in full.

I'll admit to wondering if a businessman could finally help the government get back to negotiating, but I've got to admit that this particular businessman seems to be the wrong choice.
                I'd agree, but I'm sure he'd answer the perceptive critics by reminding them, he graduated from the Wharton Business School. He loves to boast of it.

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                  Our former naval personnel might consider Norfolk Island. It has a naval ring here.

Jeff
                  Beautiful spot.

But even we have trouble getting permission to live there.
                  G U T

Comment

• Someone earlier said Pitcairn, the survivors were later relocated to Norfolk
                    G U T

Comment

• Never in my life did I think I'd be backing Donald Trump for President, but here we are.

Never in my life did I expect Donald Trump to be asking me for money, but here we are.

And never, ever in my life did I expect to see a GOP Presidental candidate speaking out for the rights of transsexuals, with a Democratic POTUS scrambling to play catchup, but here we are.

What a remarkable year this has been so far!
                      - Ginger

Comment

• The remarkable events might continue, on the Democratic side if Hillary gets charged by the FBI. Why has Joe Biden been so visible lately? Is the Democratic elite as frightened of Bernie getting Hillary's spot if this should happen as GOP elites were about Trump being the contender?

Comment

After telling us he would "negotiate" his tax plan with the democrats, so it "might not be the same", Trump now has stated he'll try lowering the U.S. national debt by not paying it off in full.

I haven't read the link. From your post I don't see what the problem is. No-one from any mainstream economic school believes the US will pay off its entire debt, no-one. No-one believes it will even be asked to pay it's entire debts. All the US has to do is service it's debt. The ability to service the US debt may become problematic in future, paying it off is impossible.

I am an admirer of The Donald so I do tend to be overly defensive when it comes to criticism of him. But some of the criticism towards him is just as lunatic as any anti Clinton stuff from the 1990's.

btw writers on the economy know nothing. Believe me when I say they are next to useless.

Comment

• Originally posted by jason_c View Post
                            I haven't read the link. From your post I don't see what the problem is. No-one from any mainstream economic school believes the US will pay off its entire debt, no-one. No-one believes it will even be asked to pay it's entire debts. All the US has to do is service it's debt. The ability to service the US debt may become problematic in future, paying it off is impossible.

I am an admirer of The Donald so I do tend to be overly defensive when it comes to criticism of him. But some of the criticism towards him is just as lunatic as any anti Clinton stuff from the 1990's.

btw writers on the economy know nothing. Believe me when I say they are next to useless.
                            Hello, Jason C,

As I recall the article, there is supposed to be something in the Constitution which says all debts of the United States are to be considered valid and not contested. This good faith leads to the incredibly low interest the Federal government is allowed on its loans. The author felt Mr. Trump is thinking of private businesses which can offer "a haircut" to their creditors, and get a settlement by paying a portion of the entire debt. The author did not feel this is possible in governmental and international relationships, and that Trump doesn't know this.

Do you think Donald Trump is beginning to "pivot" to the center now, judging by some of his more recent comments on controversial issues? If so, is he doing this to win over more moderate Republicans, or perhaps even some Democrats? How do we know what he really intends to do?
                            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                            ---------------
                            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                            ---------------

Comment

...How do we know what he really intends to do?
                              He'll probably turn the Whitehouse into the dumbest reality show like 'Big Brother' which is rather the only thing he has to offer. This show has been criticized following reports of "HIB" (Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying), violence in the house, obscene language, breach of integrity,and the physical and mental strain of appearing on the series. So will he!!!

Should Trump be elected, the American people will have turned Democracy into Idiocracy: their new interpretation of 'the government of the people, by the people, for the people'.

Irrespecfully (LOL),
                              Hercule Poirot

Comment

Working...
                              X