Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi again Abby

Thanks once more. My talk in Baltimore at RipperCon on Saturday, April 9 will be different, because my thoughts on the death of Poe have evolved, but I wrote about Poe's death on my blog back in 2009. That was exactly 160 years after the writer was mysteriously found insensible on a Baltimore sidewalk outside a tavern on East Lombard Street and four days before his death, never having fully recovered, at Washington College Hospital on Broadway, Baltimore, on October 7, 1849. Here's the link --

The jury remains out on what exactly killed writer Edgar Allan Poe in early October 1849. He had been lecturing in Richmond and was on his w...

(The comments on the blog posting are useful too, I think.)

Best regards

Chris

Nevermore
    thank you sir! Ill check it out.

Comment

Thanks for the answer, Shaggy!

Originally posted by Shaggyrand View Post
      That is where it comes from. "Because Poe wrote on both" is the most famous answer given by Chess master and puzzle writer Sam Loyd. Though Carroll did give the answer in a later edition's forward but the editors thought a purposeful backward spelling was a mistake, corrected it to the word they thought it was supposed to be and for years thought to be more gibberish. It was about 80 years before someone figured it out.
      Great answer! I spent my childhood puzzling over it, as I tended to re-read my Modern Library combined copy of "Wonderland" and "Looking Glass" every summer from about ten years on. Now I know!
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Another good one!

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
        and-they both have inky quills
        I like this answer, too!
        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

Thirteen days left to sign up for RipperCon in Baltimore April 8-10 starring Martin Fido (The Complete Jack the Ripper A to Z) -- deadline March 15! If you are interested in coming, sign up now! Complete information at RipperCon.com.
          Christopher T. George
          Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
          just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
          For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
          RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Time is running out folks!!! You don't want to miss this.. who knows when or if there will be an American conference again.....such a great line up of speakers, plus the chance to get together with people who share a similar interest, I don't know about you folks out there, but not easy to find many people locally for this kind of discussion... this conference is the kind of thing that could create life long friendships...I for one am looking forward to an AMAZING weekend......plus the weather will be great in Baltimore that time of year.. can even catch a Baseball game if you want ( the O's are playing sat night and Sunday afternoon.. and from what I found out the stadium is really close to the conference!!!

Better get your reservations soon.. time is ticking away...and I really hope to see as many of you as possible, you don't have to have a Cigar with me, but you are always welcome to if you want

Steadmund Brand
            "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Why so quiet people.....who else is coming or thinking about the big conference???

Steadmund Brand
              "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

I am super jazzed about seeing people, so I am looking forward to Baltimore! I am thinking I might take an extra day or two to do the city since I've never really had the opportunity before.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Same here....thinking I may take a tour of Camden yards Friday morning if my flight is early enough...suppose to be one of the nicest ballparks in the country...can't say I am looking forward to vodka and pineapple...but vodka and lime yum...either way Ally 1st round on me ok..
                  I have been talking to Mike Hawley ( us buffalo guys gotta stick together) and he will have some AMAZING stuff to reveal on Dr. T!!!...and I for one am really excited about Sarah Beth's talk....and come on Martin Fido.....hope I can get him to sign a book or two for me.....and MC Ally ( wow I just got a crazy visual of you in a sideways baseball hat...sunglasses and tons of bling hahah)...this is gonna be one hell of a conference....

Steadmund Brand

Comment

LOL.. I can do the sideways baseball cap but the tons of bling will be hard. I hate jewelry and hardly ever wear it. But yeah Camden Yards sounds cool though I am obligated to be Cubs fan since I don't really care and my brother would disown me if I didn't.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

That's ok...I am a Yankees fan ( ok folks let the booing begin) but I love baseball, and history and ballparks...and everyone says Camden is the best...and a great tour...

pity on the bling....what about gold teeth???

Ally, do you mind if I send you a private message? I'll let you know what I know about the Camden yards tour.

Steadmund Brand

Comment

Sure go ahead!

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

Sorry that I am going to have to miss this one. Had really wanted to go and meet people but have had some unexpected financial hits of late including a broken tooth which I had to get fixed. But I will be there in spirit and look forward to seeing the pictures.

So win one for the Gipper or failing that just hoist a pint for ol' c.d.

c.d

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                            Sorry that I am going to have to miss this one. Had really wanted to go and meet people but have had some unexpected financial hits of late including a broken tooth which I had to get fixed. But I will be there in spirit and look forward to seeing the pictures.

So win one for the Gipper or failing that just hoist a pint for ol' c.d.

c.d
                            Hope the tooth is OK. I hate, hate, hate dentists.
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                              Hope the tooth is OK. I hate, hate, hate dentists.
                              Hi GUT,

Fortunately (and that is speaking relatively) the tooth did not require a root canal and crown or an implant which was my greatest fear. The dentist was able to reshape it (a big piece had broken off) but the procedure set me back $500.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                                Hi GUT,

Fortunately (and that is speaking relatively) the tooth did not require a root canal and crown or an implant which was my greatest fear. The dentist was able to reshape it (a big piece had broken off) but the procedure set me back $500.

c.d.
                                I chipped one (badly) last year on our cruise and still haven't had it looked at, I suspect it may need a capping and as I said hate dentists, I've had some bad experiences, and hate to think what it might cost.
                                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                                X