Baltimore conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baltimore conference

Hello all...I know there is a thread in general discussion...but wanted to see if anyone here in the pub will be going to the Baltimore conference in April....I booked my hotel and bought my tickets today and can't wait....I would love to meet as many of you as possible...plus with the list of all the great speakers....and our fearless leader Ally and Jonathan Menges hosting ( and creating a new Rippercast from what I hear) sounds like an amazing weekend....so just curious, who will be attending??

Steadmund Brand
    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
    Hello all...I know there is a thread in general discussion...but wanted to see if anyone here in the pub will be going to the Baltimore conference in April....I booked my hotel and bought my tickets today and can't wait....I would love to meet as many of you as possible...plus with the list of all the great speakers....and our fearless leader Ally and Jonathan Menges hosting ( and creating a new Rippercast from what I hear) sounds like an amazing weekend....so just curious, who will be attending??

Steadmund Brand
    Unfortunately, you know my answer.

How far is it for you?
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Just a quick flight of about an hour for me....plus I may even get to see a Baseball game while there ...the Baltimore is playing Tampa Bay at home that weekend.....sunday afternoon game anyone"???

Steadmund Brand
      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Want to and its right in my backyard but my dog needed surgery and its depleted my funds for anything not necessary for the foreseeable future.
        I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Just a quick flight of about an hour for me....plus I may even get to see a Baseball game while there ...the Baltimore is playing Tampa Bay at home that weekend.....sunday afternoon game anyone"???

Steadmund Brand
          Sounds good.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggyrand View Post
            Want to and its right in my backyard but my dog needed surgery and its depleted my funds for anything not necessary for the foreseeable future.
            Well if you're like me dog comes first.

But then my dogs are spoiled rotten. Even though one is technically my daughter's and the other is very much on his last legs.
            G U T

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
              Well if you're like me dog comes first.

But then my dogs are spoiled rotten. Even though one is technically my daughter's and the other is very much on his last legs.
              Completely. He's also crazy spoiled. He's a good dog and his health comes first. Even though I might have to rob a bank to pay for it all.

Comment

Completely. He's also crazy spoiled. He's a good dog and his health comes first. Even though I might have to rob a bank to pay for it all.
                Know what you mean.

My little buddy hasn't got long left and I expect I'll bawl like a baby when he goes,

But considering ave life span for that breed (Chinese Crested) is about 8-10 and he's almostv14 it's to be expected. Now if he dies at about the time our daughter moves out and takes her Dalmatian I'll be in a real bad spot the times I'm restricted to bed.
                G U T

Comment

Oh I am the same way.....always had dogs...I know have my first cat ( had him 8 years now) and I spoil him rotten....plus I panic over his health....I have a anxiety disorder as it is ( bad one....5 generations of my family suffer this terrible brain chemical curse) and one of my "triggers" is my cats wellbeing....but it's worth it...I so love my little Sgt. Pepper ��

Steadmund Brand

Comment

Steadmund Brand
                    If you are on the four-hour Sunday morning bus tour, we could drop you off after the tour at the Ball Yard along with anyone else who wishes to go to the game. Oriole Park at Camden Yards isn't that far from Edgar Allan Poe's Grave and Nutshell Studies which we will see in the latter part of the bus tour. Below is a photograph of Camden Yards by my friend MiMi Zannino. There was a major riot at the Camden Yards railyards in August 1877. It was during a labor strike against the B&O Railroad. The Maryland Militia Sixth Regiment fired on the rioters killing 10 and wounding 25. The rioters injured several members of the militia, damaged engines and train cars, and burned portions of the train station. Also where the ballpark now stands, Babe Ruth's father ran a tavern on the site.

Best regards

Chris

Maryland Militia Sixth Regiment fighting its way through Baltimore, Maryland, July 20, 1877. Harper's magazine, August 11, 1877.
                    Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 02-18-2016, 08:21 PM.
                    Christopher T. George
                    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Oh I am the same way.....always had dogs...I know have my first cat ( had him 8 years now) and I spoil him rotten....plus I panic over his health....I have a anxiety disorder as it is ( bad one....5 generations of my family suffer this terrible brain chemical curse) and one of my "triggers" is my cats wellbeing....but it's worth it...I so love my little Sgt. Pepper ��

Steadmund Brand
                      Love the cats name, but then I'm a Beatles fan.

Lost our last cat a couple of years back, still sometimes think I can hear her rattling the security door to be let in.

We found her (or actually one of our Dals did) the ve thought she was only about 4 weeks old, poor thing grew up thinking she was a dog. But then so did our pet sheep.
                      G U T

Comment

Steadman, I'd love to attend, as I've never visited Baltimore, love E. A. Poe and Sherlock Holmes, and am fascinated by the Nutshell Studies-- but, alas, between my funds and a probable business conference in April, I don't think the Ripper Conference will be on my schedule this year.

I wish everyone who is going the best of luck, and please post photos!
                        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                        ---------------
                        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                        ---------------

Comment

I'm seriously considering it Steadman, but financial considerations will probably prevent it. Ironically, as I reside in New York City, I'm just an Amtrak train ride (aprox. 2 hours) from Baltimore, a city I have been to on two occasions, and I would like to hear the lecture about Conan Doyle, and see the graves of Poe (he was moved to a second grave in 1892 - Whitman attended the event), and Booth as well. Don't know about the baseball game though.

That riot in 1877 was one of a series of railway workers riots throughout the nation that year, and caused President Hayes to send in Federal troops to protect railway property. There was an interesting riot in April 1861 when troops from Massachusetts were attacked by Baltimore citizens and fired into the crowd. The incident is memorialized in the state's anthem, "Maryland, My Maryland".

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                            That riot in 1877 was one of a series of railway workers riots throughout the nation that year, and caused President Hayes to send in Federal troops to protect railway property. There was an interesting riot in April 1861 when troops from Massachusetts were attacked by Baltimore citizens and fired into the crowd. The incident is memorialized in the state's anthem, "Maryland, My Maryland".
                            Some of us have fought long and hard to get that song changed to "Four Whores" aka "Baltimore Whores". "Maryland, My Maryland" is a horrible song and not nearly as fitting for the state (Damn you, 1939 state's general assembly.)

Comment

Some of us have fought long and hard to get that song changed to "Four Whores" aka "Baltimore Whores". "Maryland, My Maryland" is a horrible song and not nearly as fitting for the state (Damn you, 1939 state's general assembly.)
                              At least your state song isn't Rocky Top. Just sayin'.
                              The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Working...
                              X