Justice Anthony Scalia has died.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justice Anthony Scalia has died.

Just heard that Justice Scalia has died and I am curious about what will happen now that his seat is empty. Senator McConnell feels that replacement should wait for the next President (obviously hoping it is a Republican, of course). Scalia was the longest currently sitting on the Court, and he was the "cornerstone" of the Conservative majority. To be fair, I always found that Scalia's conservatism occasionally showed a thaw on one interesting subject: police power regarding evidence and search and seizure. On this one issue he was far more moderate and skeptical on police powers.

Jeff

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
    Just heard that Justice Scalia has died and I am curious about what will happen now that his seat is empty. Senator McConnell feels that replacement should wait for the next President (obviously hoping it is a Republican, of course). Scalia was the longest currently sitting on the Court, and he was the "cornerstone" of the Conservative majority. To be fair, I always found that Scalia's conservatism occasionally showed a thaw on one interesting subject: police power regarding evidence and search and seizure. On this one issue he was far more moderate and skeptical on police powers.

Jeff
    Yes, I'm sure the Republicans will try to postpone the appointment in the fashion of the Abe Fortas business in 1968.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

But I suspect the Democrats will try and push it through.

Isn't it about a year till the new Presudent will take office.

Seems a long time to leave it vacant.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I realize there is going to be a big fight over whomever Obama nominates to fill the vacancy left by Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia. Obama just said that he will fulfill his Constitutional obligation to nominate a new justice. No doubt the GOP candidates at tonight's debate will have a lot to say about it, and it's certain that Republicans on Capitol Hill will resist any nomination of Obama's. Would it help if, as I have heard it suggested, Obama nominates Joe Biden to fill the vacancy?

Cheers

Chris
        Christopher T. George
        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Obama should nominate Trump.
          - Ginger

Comment

Scalia has died and the internet has fallen into a period of trying to avoid outright jubilation.
            The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Although I have no doubt whatsoever that the Democrats would do the exact same thing if the situation were reversed and a Republican president was in power, I can't help but be amused that the Republicans, who constantly tout their love of the Constitution and pledge strict adherence to it, will try to deny President Obama his Constitutional right to appoint a new Supreme Court justice.

c.d.

Comment

That's because when the constitution was written President Obama wouldn't have rights......and it almost seems like that's what SOME Republicans want....not all but......

The President has to nominate a justice....but I have this sick feeling that no matter who he nominates...they will not confirm....because it's " us against them" and nothing more...not what's good for the nation....the people that claim over and over how much they love America....will actually intentionally hurt the country out of spite and hate.....

I love my country...and I hope we will grow up and act like adults again....

Steadmund Brand
                "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Oh and....wherein I disagreed with almost everything justice Scalia stood for...my heartfelt thoughts are with his family and loved ones...

RIP justice...and thank you for you lifelong dedication to what you believed was right....disagree as I did, I believe you were genuine and truly loved your country and work...and that is to be admired.

Steadmund Brand
                  "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Republicans will delay any confirmation as long as possible, maybe six months at the most but it'll be a done deal by the election. The Democrats, being outnumbered enough to not be able to push it through faster, will make comments about how awful they are for doing so.

Originally posted by Errata View Post
                    Scalia has died and the internet has fallen into a period of trying to avoid outright jubilation.
                    Come on. The internet had a dozen videos of people skipping, holding hands and singing "Ding Dong the Judge is Dead. Let's hope Thomas follows soon" within minutes of the news breaking.
                    I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                      Oh and....wherein I disagreed with almost everything justice Scalia stood for...my heartfelt thoughts are with his family and loved ones...

RIP justice...and thank you for you lifelong dedication to what you believed was right....disagree as I did, I believe you were genuine and truly loved your country and work...and that is to be admired.

Steadmund Brand
                      Great post Steady.

Not sure I agree (from afar) with most I've read about him.

But it seems he served and people need to remember he was a man with family and friends.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Those Republicans in Congress run a risk though if they try to block a new appointment for too long though, don't they? What if the Democrats regain control of the Senate AND the country votes in a Democrat President? That would be the stuff of nightmares for most of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                          Obama should nominate Trump.
                          I could just hear this one. Trump on the campaign trail: "It's just a ploy folks, but I'd make the best damned U.S. Supreme Court Justice in history - another "E.G. Marshall" I'm sure!!!" And the crowd of flacks he buses into his appearances would wildly go crazy, despite the stupid, typical blunder of names.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                            Those Republicans in Congress run a risk though if they try to block a new appointment for too long though, don't they? What if the Democrats regain control of the Senate AND the country votes in a Democrat President? That would be the stuff of nightmares for most of them.
                            A big order Rosella, but I wish it too. Not because I'm a Democrat - there are some thoughts my more conservative side shares with the Republicans. It's just I can't really think of the Republican front runners as deserving of the nomination or election. Seriously, President Cruz, or President Trump, or President Rubio? And I still can only think of "chads" when I think of Jeb Bush.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggyrand View Post
                              Come on. The internet had a dozen videos of people skipping, holding hands and singing "Ding Dong the Judge is Dead. Let's hope Thomas follows soon" within minutes of the news breaking.
                              I said trying, not succeeding.
                              The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Working...
                              X