The Force Awakens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Force Awakens

I went to see this film a few days ago with my two boys, ages 7 and 11. The 7 year old seems to have liked it best. The 11 year old though it was 'kinda dumb'. As for me, I thought it was absolutely terrible. I find it hard to fathom how any objective opinion of this film could be positive, yet almost everyone is raving. I'm not getting it.

I had my suspicions that something odd was happing going in. I had asked a few people who'd seen it what they thought. Immediately each said it was "great", "awesome", "loved it", "saw it three times already". And then.......as we talked......I began to hear things that I didn't expect to hear people say about an "awesome" film that they "loved" and had "seem three times". I heard things like:

- they tried to fit too much in
    - the story is the same as the original movie
    - the guy who plays the villain is awful
    - Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher look and sound terrible to the point where their presence in the movie is distracting
    - What is 'Maz' and why is 'it' in the movie?

I'm not exactly opposed to these types of movies. I loved Jurassic World. I watched Guardians of the Galaxy five times. I thought the first Star Trek from Abrams was great (the second...not so much). I loved both Planet of the Apes movies and I think all the Marvel movies are well done and entertaining.

But, I'm sorry....I thought this movie was boring, silly, and a waste of time.

Am I completely alone on this one?

Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
    I went to see this film a few days ago with my two boys, ages 7 and 11. The 7 year old seems to have liked it best. The 11 year old though it was 'kinda dumb'. As for me, I thought it was absolutely terrible. I find it hard to fathom how any objective opinion of this film could be positive, yet almost everyone is raving. I'm not getting it.

I had my suspicions that something odd was happing going in. I had asked a few people who'd seen it what they thought. Immediately each said it was "great", "awesome", "loved it", "saw it three times already". And then.......as we talked......I began to hear things that I didn't expect to hear people say about an "awesome" film that they "loved" and had "seem three times". I heard things like:

- they tried to fit too much in
    - the story is the same as the original movie
    - the guy who plays the villain is awful
    - Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher look and sound terrible to the point where their presence in the movie is distracting
    - What is 'Maz' and why is 'it' in the movie?

I'm not exactly opposed to these types of movies. I loved Jurassic World. I watched Guardians of the Galaxy five times. I thought the first Star Trek from Abrams was great (the second...not so much). I loved both Planet of the Apes movies and I think all the Marvel movies are well done and entertaining.

But, I'm sorry....I thought this movie was boring, silly, and a waste of time.

Am I completely alone on this one?
    Hi Patrick
    Perhaps the Force should go back to sleep. LOL.

I thought it was just OK. Considering the hype and previews I read-I was expecting much more.

I rank it fourth behind hope, empire, and sith.
    At least it didn't have any silly and unrealistic charactors like the ewoks and Binks.

I also thought Fisher and ford seemed tired and uninspired, and the whole thing rather flat and repetitive.

and where the heck did snoke come from-its only been thirty years? and the charactors all saying the people and events from before were"only stories" and myths. Its only been 30 years!!! LOL.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

I have to say that I liked the film....maybe because I hated the 3 previous films sooooooo much, and I went in expecting it to be as bad, but I was surprised.... it had the "feel" of the original 3.....did they cram too much in? I don't think so....was it predictable and formula... yes but IT"S A STAR WARS FILM... what did you expect hahaha ( the originals are also very predictable and formula... but are now considered so much a part of pop culture folks forget that)....it was well made, well written, moved swiftly without having things go over our heads... plus it had some great comedy.. a few moments where everyone in the theatre laughed out loud... and a few more where the real "star wars nerds" laughed.

I think Fisher and Ford were meant to look tired and depressed.... story kind of makes that clear... I thought they were fine... I know Ford didn't even want to do it.. but they backed a dump truck load of cash up to his house and he did it... and he had some of the funniest moments... so I thought he was good

as for the characters saying the events were "stories" or "myths" well, it was only the young characters... who were pretty isolated.. not even on the same planet.. I thought that was understandable.. I had no problem with that at all... the older characters never said things like that.

Look I am not trying to defend the film, I only speak for myself, if you didn't enjoy it, hey that’s cool, I personally hate most of the films that are "blockbusters" , you couldn't pay me to waste my eyesight on any of the Fast and Furious films... or Transformers, or any of those all special effects and no substance movies, and I thought that Avatar was absolutely TERRIBLE ( to be fair, it was an ok movie when it was called Dances with Wolves....now that is the same movie.... just trade the word Sky men with Whiteman and even some of the dialog is the same....), but this new Star Wars film... well as far as escapism movies go, it was a hoot, and that’s all I ask for in that type of film... and I am looking forward to the next two....

Steadmund Brand
      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Given some physical infirmities and the rising cost of movie tickets, I have not been to see a first run movie since 2010. Most of them end up on cable within two or three years, where (if I wish) I can check them out. So I would not have seen the new "Star Wars" film anyway.

The massive hoopla from the early summer on did not appeal to me. After all, a decade and a half ago I saw the fourth film of this francize and found it of some interest, but I quickly realized who the villain was and figured out the plot of the fall of Anakin Skywalker into becoming Darth Vadar. Since it was (to me) fairly simple I never saw films five and six, and I have never missed them.

Ford and Fisher would have been aging anyway, as the first of the films was made some forty years back. Had they not aged I would have been more intrigued at that detail than the movies (as would most people on the globe) and we'd be concentrating on their secrets of staying young. But I saw Fisher in an episode of "The Big Bang Theory" two years ago (with James Earl Jones playing a silly practical joke on her) and noted her weight gain in that cameo appearance. So I figured she would not return as the "Princess Leia" we grew up with.

As for repeating the story - what else do they have? Maybe if they showed that the forces of the successful rebellion against the empire began bickering over issues and falling into smaller military confrontations it might have been a new direction - but it would have stunned the huge fan base to see their heroes at each other's throats. Legends are pleasant to follow and believe in, not so much a dose of reality (coalitions tend to eventually collapse upon themselves).

Someday we may be more grown up about the ins and outs of sequel writing: less formula "tried and true" methods, and more how history evolves methods. Maybe if they get to "Star Wars" thirteen, fourteen, and fifteen, that day will arrive for this francize.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
          Given some physical infirmities and the rising cost of movie tickets, I have not been to see a first run movie since 2010. Most of them end up on cable within two or three years, where (if I wish) I can check them out. So I would not have seen the new "Star Wars" film anyway.

The massive hoopla from the early summer on did not appeal to me. After all, a decade and a half ago I saw the fourth film of this francize and found it of some interest, but I quickly realized who the villain was and figured out the plot of the fall of Anakin Skywalker into becoming Darth Vadar. Since it was (to me) fairly simple I never saw films five and six, and I have never missed them.

Ford and Fisher would have been aging anyway, as the first of the films was made some forty years back. Had they not aged I would have been more intrigued at that detail than the movies (as would most people on the globe) and we'd be concentrating on their secrets of staying young. But I saw Fisher in an episode of "The Big Bang Theory" two years ago (with James Earl Jones playing a silly practical joke on her) and noted her weight gain in that cameo appearance. So I figured she would not return as the "Princess Leia" we grew up with.

As for repeating the story - what else do they have? Maybe if they showed that the forces of the successful rebellion against the empire began bickering over issues and falling into smaller military confrontations it might have been a new direction - but it would have stunned the huge fan base to see their heroes at each other's throats. Legends are pleasant to follow and believe in, not so much a dose of reality (coalitions tend to eventually collapse upon themselves).

Someday we may be more grown up about the ins and outs of sequel writing: less formula "tried and true" methods, and more how history evolves methods. Maybe if they get to "Star Wars" thirteen, fourteen, and fifteen, that day will arrive for this francize.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm a bit the same.

Though the Snoopy movie may tempt me, specially if he finally gets that Bloody Red Baron From Germany.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I really enjoyed it for what it was, a mindless fantasy flick. But since its STAR WARS!!! folks tend to overhype even their own enjoyment. Was it a decent waste of a couple hours? Sure. Was it a groundbreaking life changing experience? No. Was it better than the last three flicks in the franchise? Definitely.
            I've never been a big SW fan, the series is at best 3 for 7, but at least its not another ******* superhero movie.
            I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
              I have to say that I liked the film....maybe because I hated the 3 previous films sooooooo much, and I went in expecting it to be as bad, but I was surprised.... it had the "feel" of the original 3.....did they cram too much in? I don't think so....was it predictable and formula... yes but IT"S A STAR WARS FILM... what did you expect hahaha ( the originals are also very predictable and formula... but are now considered so much a part of pop culture folks forget that)....it was well made, well written, moved swiftly without having things go over our heads... plus it had some great comedy.. a few moments where everyone in the theatre laughed out loud... and a few more where the real "star wars nerds" laughed.

I think Fisher and Ford were meant to look tired and depressed.... story kind of makes that clear... I thought they were fine... I know Ford didn't even want to do it.. but they backed a dump truck load of cash up to his house and he did it... and he had some of the funniest moments... so I thought he was good

as for the characters saying the events were "stories" or "myths" well, it was only the young characters... who were pretty isolated.. not even on the same planet.. I thought that was understandable.. I had no problem with that at all... the older characters never said things like that.

Look I am not trying to defend the film, I only speak for myself, if you didn't enjoy it, hey that’s cool, I personally hate most of the films that are "blockbusters" , you couldn't pay me to waste my eyesight on any of the Fast and Furious films... or Transformers, or any of those all special effects and no substance movies, and I thought that Avatar was absolutely TERRIBLE ( to be fair, it was an ok movie when it was called Dances with Wolves....now that is the same movie.... just trade the word Sky men with Whiteman and even some of the dialog is the same....), but this new Star Wars film... well as far as escapism movies go, it was a hoot, and that’s all I ask for in that type of film... and I am looking forward to the next two....

Steadmund Brand
              Agree on Transformers films. Have not seen ONE 'Fast and Furious'. I'm sure they're awful. And I'm with you on Avatar! Freaking TERRIBLE! Hated it. Alas, we'll disagree on Star Wars. I loved the films when I was a kid. Yet, as an adult, I find I'm more of a 'Star Wars' agnostic, for lack of a better term. For me, Empire is the only film I can watch and enjoy. The rest, including this latest installment, not so much.

Comment

I'm a total star wars geek, I think it's the first new full mythology we've seen in a thousand years. That being said, I think this movie had to accomplish a lot in a small amount of time, and it did the best it could. It wasn't perfect, but all things being equal, it couldn't be without adding an extra three movies. So it had two jobs. Move the story from episode 6 to episode 8 (covering a 40 year gap), and essentially apologize for 1,2, and 3. In two hours. Mission accomplished, at least as well as could be expected. It doesn't stand alone, but it was never meant to, so that's okay.

I think I'm a Star Wars apologist. How odd.
                The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
                  I'm a total star wars geek, I think it's the first new full mythology we've seen in a thousand years. That being said, I think this movie had to accomplish a lot in a small amount of time, and it did the best it could. It wasn't perfect, but all things being equal, it couldn't be without adding an extra three movies. So it had two jobs. Move the story from episode 6 to episode 8 (covering a 40 year gap), and essentially apologize for 1,2, and 3. In two hours. Mission accomplished, at least as well as could be expected. It doesn't stand alone, but it was never meant to, so that's okay.

Hi Errata

I think it's the first new full mythology we've seen in a thousand years

Nahh-Tolkien did that.

Re Star Wars-I would have been happy if they stopped after the first one (A new Hope). I think its a masterpiece and one of my top films of all time.
                  Everything since only dilutes it (somewhat) IMHO.
                  Although I loved the actor and character of the Emperor in the others.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post

Well. I refuse to accept that George Lucas is responsible for "the first new full mythology we've seen in a thousand years". I mean, this is the guy that brought us 'Howard the Duck', "Willow", "Tucker: A Man and his Dream", and 'Red Tails'.

I loved Star Wars when I was a kid. Saw it in the theatre when I was 7 years old. I even had a Super8 reel with silent, black and white highlights from the movie. By the time 'Jedi' came out and I was 13 or 14, I was already starting to have trouble with things like "Ewoks" and droids channeling Laurel and Hardy. Now - with the exception of 'Empire Strikes Back' - I find them somewhat ridiculous. I firmly believe that after 'Empire' these movies became about merchandise sales, Happy Meals, etc. This time around car companies, the NFL, and the NCAA got in on the act. Not a good look, in my view.

That said, I've no issue with those - like you - that love Star Wars. I just don't get it. I've tried. I just keep wondering how I - even as a pre-teen - ever liked anything about it.

Comment

Well. I refuse to accept that George Lucas is responsible for "the first new full mythology we've seen in a thousand years". I mean, this is the guy that brought us 'Howard the Duck', "Willow", "Tucker: A Man and his Dream", and 'Red Tails'.
                      The original SW was more of a collaborative effort than people think. Lucas is regarded as the daddy of Star Wars, and he deserves credit for coming up with the raw materials, but it was the talent of people like Irvin Kershner, Gary Kurtz, Ralph McQuarrie and everyone else involved who helped mold those rough concepts into the cultural phenomenon we know today. The natural corollary to this is the utter travesty of the prequels that were all written & directed by Lucas.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                        The original SW was more of a collaborative effort than people think. Lucas is regarded as the daddy of Star Wars, and he deserves credit for coming up with the raw materials, but it was the talent of people like Irvin Kershner, Gary Kurtz, Ralph McQuarrie and everyone else involved who helped mold those rough concepts into the cultural phenomenon we know today. The natural corollary to this is the utter travesty of the prequels that were all written & directed by Lucas.
                        Completely agree. I always say that the "prequels" are what they are because no one was there to tell Lucas 'no'. Star Wars - the original movie now called "A New Hope" - was a pretty basic idea. Good versus Evil. Simple kid leaves home, becomes a hero. The novel thing, the thing that made it stand out, was that it was set in 'a galaxy far, far away'. Guns are 'blasters'. Swords are 'light sabers'. Spaceships. Death Stars. These themes are more effective in the second film (Empire) because Kershner directed and he simply understood filmmaking more than Lucas ever would. Empire is well made movie. Kershner got good takes before moving on. Kasdan wrote good dialogue. All that. Jedi was the worst of the first three, by a mile, in my view. Ewoks. Bad acting. Overdubs. Coincidentally, Lucas took more control. The prequels saw Lucas surrounded by 'yes men' and in total control...and they are an unmitigated disaster. Awful. It's interesting to see some of the documentaries about the making of these films. Lucas throws out all manner of crazy ideas and people say, "That's great!" I remember one bit. Lucas is telling Speilberg (who seems to have dropped by the set) about the 'drones'. He's showing Speilberg one of the drones and he (Lucas) says, "These things are so easy to kill. The Jedi.....they just cut through them like they're not even there......." Speilberg says, "Its gonna be great." I remember thinking, "It is? HOW? Where is the suspense in that? What's the point? Why do they even exist if they present no danger at all?" And - sure enough - they were absurd, boring. But, everyone told Lucas they'd be great.

Comment

I think Revenge of the Sith is vastly underated. I thought it was rather Shakespearean. The dual portrayel of the downfall/ transformation of both characters-the emperor and vader I found fascinating.

And while christensens acting was panned, it didn't bother me-I saw it as oddly charismatic in an underplayed way. and I still think that after watching it multiple times.

Now Ian mcDirmid who portrays Palpatine and the emperor-That is an acting tour de force. watch it again-he oozes arrogance and evil and slimy subtlty.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                            Hi Errata

Nahh-Tolkien did that.
                            Actually he didn't. And it's good that he didn't, it's why his books are insanely popular and the bedrock of all fantasy as we know it. It provided a basic structure for others to build on, but wasn't too specific. We have no idea how magic works in the Tolkein universe, we have to just either accept that it does, or try to come up with a set of rules. The rules of the Force are very clear, set out in books, films, role playing games... it works a certain way and not certain others ways and we know why it works the way it does and not in other ways.

Tolkein created a mythology similar to vampire mythology today. It's not a whole pantheon of myths, but it's enough to get our engines revving. Whereas if you have a question about Star Wars, you can actually look it up. Want to know why the Jedi don't Force choke? Want to know the average top speed of Luke's landspeeder? Want to know what race Yoda is? It's all there for the person who owns the appropriate text. It's fully formed. Locked in. Akin to Greek religion and mythology in it's depth and scope.

Tolkein can grow. And does. Star Wars cannot, or at least cannot do it easily. Thus the failure of the first three movies.

Comment

You shut your mouth Howard the Duck is brilliant. But you kinda had to read the comic.

I have no problem with people not liking Star Wars. I have a weird thing about people who still haven't seen it, like I suppose many people would if they met someone had never heard of the Bible. Like, how do you avoid such a massive part of pop culture?

It's not Shakespeare. Well, some of it is straight up Shakespeare, some Odyssey, a splash of the Bible, a little King Arthur. But it's not great literature. It is at best a good tale. Like Beowulf, mostly action, a little moral high ground, and a hint of political commentary. But not high art. But if you are a fan of a certain formula of storytelling, then you appreciate the formula of Star Wars. You probably also appreciate the Indiana Jones movies, E.T., Stargate SG-1, and fairy tales. And probably role playing games.

Comment

Working...
                              X