• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.K. Woman Gets Criticized for Buying 300 Christmas Presents for Her Kids

c.d.

Five go-old rings!
    Four colly birds, three French hens, two turtle-doves
    And a partridge in a pear tree.

On the two-hundred-and-forty-ninth day of... oh, forget it!
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I say if she can afford it good on her.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Tapping said she was shocked "by the reaction of people who instantly thought I was a bragging parent with spoilt little brat children. I was shocked how judgmental people were. My attitude is what I buy my kids is my business, no one else's," she said in an interview with Femail, a section of the Daily Mail newspaper.

Then why did she share her pic in the first place? Yes, it's her business, so why didn't she keep it that way?

Comment

She wanted a viral pic, she got it. Some responses over the pic are pretty crazy though. I, personally, love seeing people flip out over stupid ****.
          I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

I think this just shows people love to be offended. Heck you can sneeze funny and someone will get offended. If she wants to get her kids all those presents it is her money after all. I am sure they will have a great Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              Five go-old rings!
              Four colly birds, three French hens, two turtle-doves
              And a partridge in a pear tree.

On the two-hundred-and-forty-ninth day of... oh, forget it!
              Uh, that's 'Four CALLING birds...'

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                Wow that makes so much more sense... at least in as much as any of this song makes sense.
                The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Didn't she say that someone had stolen the picture from her Facebook page and that was why it had gone viral? It does seem a bit extravagant but she 'only' spent about £1,500 which, divided amongst a number of kids wouldn't be that much per person, I suppose.

If she can afford it, good on her, though I don't know too many people who spend that amount on Xmas presents for the kiddiwinks unless it's a special anniversary occasion. Wonder what she bought her husband?

Personally speaking we have a huge inner and extended family of mostly adults. We restrict our gift spending to a reasonable amount and do a Kris Kringal. The kids in the family get one gift per relative, though of course their parents buy more.

Comment

Nope - it's "colly" in the original. Colly ["coaly"] is an old-fashioned (c 16th Century) adjective meaning "sooty" or "black". A "Colly" or "Colly-bird" is thus oldspeak for "blackbird".

There is no such thing as a "Calling-bird", unless it's another euphemism for "prostitute". Somehow, I doubt your true-love would send you four of those for Christmas.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                      There is no such thing as a "Calling-bird", unless it's another euphemism for "prostitute". Somehow, I doubt your true-love would send you four of those for Christmas.
                      Hehe... Well there was this one time...

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                        Hehe... Well there was this one time...
                        Respect!
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

I thought so to until I looked it up. Sam is right. Colly is an old English name for Blackbird. Calling bird was an Americanization of the original verse.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                            Calling bird was an Americanization of the original verse.
                            In fairness, many Brits make the same mistake.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

The song gave me a very unrealistic view of Christmas... I thought it was 12 days of wanton gift giving, making my friends' jealousy over Hannukah very perplexing.
                              The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Working...
                              X