• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Most British Response to the WHO Study on Processed Meats

c.d.

Great Britain - ever a shining bacon of civilization

Comment

More a response to being told by 'experts' over the years that a host of tasty things were terribly disgraceful and harmful, eggs, coffee, tea, butter, red wine etc etc., only for the data to be later readjusted and even contradicted. I like a sausage once a week and an occasional bacon and egg sandwich. I'm not British but it's the same here in Oz. If I die I die!

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        Great Britain - ever a shining bacon of civilization
        And where many a yeggman is brought to justice!

Comment

Processed meats - bad for you.

Eat Haggis. Natural food

Comment

How processed is cats meat?

Comment

I know this is off topic/wrong thread but does anyone know how Gut is getting on? I hope he's recovered from his operation.

Comment

I didn't know he was having one. Well, hope you're back soon, GUT!

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                  More a response to being told by 'experts' over the years that a host of tasty things were terribly disgraceful and harmful, eggs, coffee, tea, butter, red wine etc etc., only for the data to be later readjusted and even contradicted. I like a sausage once a week and an occasional bacon and egg sandwich. I'm not British but it's the same here in Oz. If I die I die!
                  A distant (and long ago deceased) relative of mine went Vegan when she was in her twenties. I can remember her visiting our house, and me being hospitable offered her something to eat. She passed a highly critical eye over the contents of our fridge and larder and rather rudely lectured us with regard to our diet. She ate an apple and left. She became very ill when she was in the fifties and I heard from another relation that her diet over the years had effectively removed her body's natural resistance to everyday illnesses, and she was a 'bag of bones' at the time of her demise. This isn't to say that all veggies will suffer as she did, but I think I'd rather eat and drink what I enjoy otherwise life ain't worth living.

Bon appetit!

Graham
                  We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

I know this is off topic/wrong thread but does anyone know how Gut is getting on? I hope he's recovered from his operation.
                    Get well soon, Gut!

Comment

More a response to being told by 'experts' over the years that a host of tasty things were terribly disgraceful and harmful, eggs, coffee, tea, butter, red wine etc etc., only for the data to be later readjusted and even contradicted.
                      This, exactly.
                      - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                        This, exactly.
                        Sort of.

I don't think we're averse to learning from people with knowledge. We're a pretty reasonable people, who generally are sceptical of any grand idea or latest revelation, while remaining open to being convinced.

There's no problem with 'being told by experts'. I'm certainly happy to be fed some useful information. Except it has to be convincing and not the same old reactionary claim that you hear from time to time.

There's nothing wrong with someone being an expert in a field and making a statement supported by evidence. That to me is very useful information, although never to be taken for granted: expert or otherwise.

The thing with England is not 'being told by experts', it's that we're natural sceptics; and they are two different propositions.

Comment

Working...
                        X