• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bakery Ordered to Pay $135,000 for Denying Wedding Cake to Lesbian Couple

c.d.

A dear cake
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

A lot of emotional and mental suffering.

Comment

Comment

I have to wonder if they would refuse to provide a cake for any wedding other than a Christian one. Would they make the same refusal to a Muslim or a Jewish couple for instance? After all, being Muslim or Jewish is against their religious beliefs too.

Their religious beliefs tell them that homosexuality is a sin, but asking them to provide this cake does NOT violate their religious liberty. The only way that would be the case is if this lesbian couple wanted to somehow force them to be gay too, and no one is doing that. The law allows them to live by their religious beliefs but not to insist that everyone else conform to them too.

But at the same time I would tell the lesbian couple- for goodness' sake, just let this go. Is it really worth all the negative publicity to sue them? There are other bakers. Why do you want to spend one more minute of your time on someone who feels that way about you?
          Last edited by kensei; 07-05-2015, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kensei View Post
            ... Why do you want to spend one more minute of your time on someone who feels that way about you?

Answer: Money.

Comment

Originally posted by kensei View Post
              I have to wonder if they would refuse to provide a cake for any wedding other than a Christian one. Would they make the same refusal to a Muslim or a Jewish couple for instance? After all, being Muslim or Jewish is against their religious beliefs too.

Their religious beliefs tell them that homosexuality is a sin, but asking them to provide this cake does NOT violate their religious liberty. The only way that would be the case is if this lesbian couple wanted to somehow force them to be gay too, and no one is doing that. The law allows them to live by their religious beliefs but not to insist that everyone else conform to them too.

But at the same time I would tell the lesbian couple- for goodness' sake, just let this go. Is it really worth all the negative publicity to sue them? There are other bakers. Why do you want to spend one more minute of your time on someone who feels that way about you?
              I totally agree Kensei.

I wonder if there are any businesses run by gay citizens who refuse to serve Christians?

Comment

There may be, Julie. If so, they should of course be allowed to refuse whomever they want.

Comment

The thing is that this bakery and all businesses doing business in that state had to get a license and in doing so they agreed to abide by the laws of that state. Oregon law bars businesses from discriminating or refusing service based on sexual orientation so clearly they were in violation of state law.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                    The thing is that this bakery and all businesses doing business in that state had to get a license and in doing so they agreed to abide by the laws of that state. Oregon law bars businesses from discriminating or refusing service based on sexual orientation so clearly they were in violation of state law.

c.d.
                    Therefore, the damages awarded to the couple are entirely justified.

Comment

I am not questioning whether there was illegality, because that's a matter for the courts. I am questioning whether the law is a good law. My opinion is that it isn't a good law, and that the damages are absurd.

Comment

BTW I am not quite sure why people should need the government's permission to open a bakery. Grotesque.

Comment

I agree, Robert. I'd let the free market decide. Some will frequent the place simply because they discriminate, others will avoid it also simply for this reason. In the end, they will have their clients, and those offended will go elsewhere. Over time, the businesses which discriminate will become marginalized. Unless they make super awesome cakes!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            BTW I am not quite sure why people should need the government's permission to open a bakery. Grotesque.
                            Health inspections commence before a business is allowed to open.

Comment

But Drummond, this is a different matter : we are here talking about a licence. A licence is the Government's permission to do something or other (and I dare say it's a nice little earner for the Government).

Comment

Working...
                              X