Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Happy 4th of July to All of My American Friends and My Friends Across the Pond

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Happy 4th of July to All of My American Friends and My Friends Across the Pond

    A happy Independence Day to all in America, and to my British friends, I hope there is no hard feelings over that unpleasantness a few hundred years ago. I would be honored to have a pint with you all.

    c.d.

  • #2
    Amen to the pint

    From Voltaire writing in Diderot's Encyclopédie:
    "One demands of modern historians more details, better ascertained facts, precise dates, , more attention to customs, laws, commerce, agriculture, population."

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by c.d. View Post
      A happy Independence Day to all in America, and to my British friends, I hope there is no hard feelings over that unpleasantness a few hundred years ago. I would be honored to have a pint with you all.

      c.d.
      Not many people here understand the significance of the 4th July, C.D.

      My personal opinion is that it was the right outcome.

      A tyrannical monarchy told where to go. Hats off to you.

      And, of course, they were fighting for the 'rights of Englishmen' as enshrined in Magna Carta, the English Bill of Rights and the idea of Natural Rights proposed by John Lilburne in the 1600s.

      So, it was a victory for the English and their values at the expense of a German king!

      Comment


      • #4
        Can someone explain to me where the American accent came from if they were all Englishmen?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Harry D View Post
          Can someone explain to me where the American accent came from if they were all Englishmen?
          Dunno, but people in London, not just London but anywhere in the country thinking about it, find it very hard to understand us folk from the mining villages of County Durham. Our accent is far, far more removed from the perceived English accent than any American could ever be.

          We're still English, though!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Harry D View Post
            Can someone explain to me where the American accent came from if they were all Englishmen?
            By the way, they did think of themselves as English men and women expecting the same rights afforded to an Englishman.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Harry D View Post
              Can someone explain to me where the American accent came from if they were all Englishmen?
              ...and there are different American accents depending upon the region. Go figure.

              c.d.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                ...and there are different American accents depending upon the region. Go figure.

                c.d.
                To demonstrate there's no hard feelings, C.D., when I was over there I bought a picture of Andrew Jackson on a horse. Thought it was an interesting picture, bought a few more, and always buy at least a couple of pictures wherever I go.

                It's on the wall, sandwiched in between the Charles Bridge Prague and Mount Fuji!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hello Mac,

                  One of Abraham Lincoln's favorite stories involved colonial hero Ethan Allen. Allen was in England after the war staying with English friends who were always taking cheap shots at George Washington trying to get Allen's goat but Allen wouldn't take the bait. Finally, they took a picture of Washington and hung it in the outhouse where he was sure to see it but still no reaction from Allen. Frustrated, they finally asked him did you see the picture of Washington in the outhouse. Yes, he calmly replied. Well how do you feel about that they asked? Allen responded that he thought it was an appropriate place for the picture. An appropriate place, they asked, astonished at Allen's response. How so? Allen responded by saying I can't think of anything that would make an Englishman sh** faster than the sight of General Washington.

                  c.d.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
                    To demonstrate there's no hard feelings, C.D., when I was over there I bought a picture of Andrew Jackson on a horse. Thought it was an interesting picture, bought a few more, and always buy at least a couple of pictures wherever I go.

                    It's on the wall, sandwiched in between the Charles Bridge Prague and Mount Fuji!
                    Jackson was a tough S.O.B. Someone pulled a gun and tried to shoot him but the gun misfired. Jackson grabbed the guy and beat the hell out of him.

                    c.d.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                      Can someone explain to me where the American accent came from if they were all Englishmen?
                      Not to mention the Dutch, Irish, Scots, Welsh, Germans, Scandinavians... "rich tapestry" doesn't begin to describe it, Harry!

                      That said, even within England, some accents sound rather more "American" than others - at least in terms of gently rolling, and actually enunciating, the letter "R" - particularly so in the West and South West of England. In places like Plymouth, in fact, from where the Mayfair set off - not that I'm suggesting a definite causal connection.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

                      "Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                        Hello Mac,

                        One of Abraham Lincoln's favorite stories involved colonial hero Ethan Allen. Allen was in England after the war staying with English friends who were always taking cheap shots at George Washington trying to get Allen's goat but Allen wouldn't take the bait. Finally, they took a picture of Washington and hung it in the outhouse where he was sure to see it but still no reaction from Allen. Frustrated, they finally asked him did you see the picture of Washington in the outhouse. Yes, he calmly replied. Well how do you feel about that they asked? Allen responded that he thought it was an appropriate place for the picture. An appropriate place, they asked, astonished at Allen's response. How so? Allen responded by saying I can't think of anything that would make an Englishman sh** faster than the sight of General Washington.

                        c.d.
                        Hello c.d.

                        George Washington was a royalist!

                        For a bit of American nostalgia:

                        His ancestors were from a place not far from me, Washington Hall in County Durham, preserved today as part of the National Trust.

                        One entry into Washington proudly states: "The Original Washington".

                        One of my Grandmas lived there as a very young child, along with a lot of other squatters during WW1. Her Mam had come down from Scotland when the head of the house was killed at the Battle of Ypres and these people who had lost their bread winner and were homeless were housed there.

                        So, his family were natives of County Durham, as was John Lilburne, mentioned earlier, whose opinions underpin so much of the United States constitution - particularly the 5th Amendment I think.

                        So, there aren't any hard feelings, as we have a shared history.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          A happy July 4th to everyone. No hard feelings about independence, but giving the world the singing of Barbara Streisand - that I can never forgive.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            A happy July 4th to everyone. No hard feelings about independence, but giving the world the singing of Barbara Streisand - that I can never forgive.
                            She ain't no Dolly Parton that's for sure!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Robert View Post
                              giving the world the singing of Barbara Streisand - that I can never forgive.
                              Try this, Rob, it might help:

                              www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcGtMEiVx_Y
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

                              "Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X