X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday

To all my 'Merican friends.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Sha 'ti bébé

GUT.
    From Voltaire writing in Diderot's Encyclopédie:
    "One demands of modern historians more details, better ascertained facts, precise dates, , more attention to customs, laws, commerce, agriculture, population."

Comment

Sorry it ain't 'Straya yous all live in.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
        Ok, I'll take that as a belated Happy Birthday to Canada on JULY 1st too, as we are part of Continental America, which seemingly passed with nothing louder than a whisper beyond our borders. Though the bloody fireworks on the night in question were enough to waken the dead!!

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          Ok, I'll take that as a belated Happy Birthday to Canada on JULY 1st too, as we are part of Continental America, which seemingly passed with nothing louder than a whisper beyond our borders. Though the bloody fireworks on the night in question were enough to waken the dead!!

I dd post a Canadia one somewhere, but maybe that was another forum, I thought it was here.

But Canada Day isn't as widely known as 4th July for some reason.

I guess most have no idea when Australia day is without Googling it.
          G U T

Comment

I dd post a Canadia one somewhere, but maybe that was another forum, I thought it was here.

But Canada Day isn't as widely known as 4th July for some reason.

I guess most have no idea when Australia day is without Googling it.
            I suspect that Canada Day isn't as widely known as the 4th of July because we Yanks are bigger show-offs regarding our national birthday celebration (by the way, I don't mind it being on the anniversary of the so-called signing of the Declaration of Independence (which actually spread over a longer period that one day), but why don't we celebrate the anniversary in September when the Constitution (in it's original form without any amendments) was completed and handed around for the 13 states to ratify? I think it's due to the Declaration popping up as a statement of why we are having a revolution to break with Britain in the start of a war - whereas the meetings in Philadelphia for the Constitution were to repair the Articles of Confederation originally, and were set in motion as a response to Daniel Shay's revolt in Massachusetts in 1786, The Declaration seems a cleaner break than the Constitution (which was a series of compromises).

Anyway, the creation and signing of the Declaration resulted in a really good musical and film, "1776". Can one see a film called "1787" with the character of James Madison singing a tune called "Three-Fifths Compromise"?

Jeff

Comment

Before I forget, thanks to all for the salutations on our National Birthday.

Jeff

Comment

Yep Americans sure can promote themselves.

We have similar issues here, should Australia day be the day the first fleet landed, the day Capt Cook landed or the day we became a nation, rather than a group of colonies.
                G U T

Comment

Thank you, Gut

I really feel there is no country in the world we feel so simpatico with like England.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                    Thank you, Gut

I really feel there is no country in the world we feel so simpatico with like England.
                    I thought you'd say Australia.
                    G U T

Comment

Thanks, GUT, appreciate it.
                      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                      ---------------
                      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                      ---------------

Comment

H B

Hello Boris. Many happy returns.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

H B

Hello Jason. Many happy returns.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

Thank you
                            Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

H B

Hello Stan. Many happy returns.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Working...
                              X