Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British PM Cameron Mocked for Eating Hot Dog with Fork and Knife

c.d.

I'm a red-state jingo, and I'll sometimes use a knife and fork, especially if I'm having something messy like a chili dog with onions and cheese. There's nothing wrong with wanting your food to end in your mouth, instead of on the ground.
    - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
      I'm a red-state jingo, and I'll sometimes use a knife and fork, especially if I'm having something messy like a chili dog with onions and cheese. There's nothing wrong with wanting your food to end in your mouth, instead of on the ground.
      Ginger and Mr. Cameron are perfectly right. Everyone tends to forget that two items of modern "fast food" history were created at American World's Fairs (the 1893 World Columbian Exposition for "hot dogs" and the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair for ice cream cones) by sheer accident. The hot dogs were sausages that you were given a mitt to hold with originally, but people were absent-mindedly walking off with the mitts. The entrepreneur saw a baker nearby and bought roles to make sausage sandwiches, which were renamed frankfurters - they became "hot dogs" in an anti-German piece of nonsense that swept the U.S. in World War I, when we did not have German music played at concert halls, and sauerkraut was renamed "liberty cabbage" (and schnausers were renamed "liberty dogs"). The ice cream cone had a similar beginning at the St. Louis World's Fair when the seller their was running out of cheap plates to serve his ice cream scoops on, and saw a waffle seller nearby and got some waffles that he turned cone shape for his ice cream. Only difference was that the "ice cream cone" never had it's name changed for stupid super-patriotism.

Comment

They've been talking about it for a couple of days here.

I say whatever floats your boat.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Cameron probably ate that way because photographers, TV cameras were around. He knew if anything like mustard or tomato sauce squirted anywhere or cheese dripped he'd be targeted in an instant.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
            Cameron probably ate that way because photographers, TV cameras were around. He knew if anything like mustard or tomato sauce squirted anywhere or cheese dripped he'd be targeted in an instant.
            It must be hard to be in the spotlight all the time, if I slop sauce on my tie, I change my tie and no one is any the wiser, if he did it on camera imaging the brouhaha.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I've just masterd the f###### spoon!
              Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                Ginger and Mr. Cameron are perfectly right. Everyone tends to forget that two items of modern "fast food" history were created at American World's Fairs (the 1893 World Columbian Exposition for "hot dogs" and the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair for ice cream cones) by sheer accident. The hot dogs were sausages that you were given a mitt to hold with originally, but people were absent-mindedly walking off with the mitts. The entrepreneur saw a baker nearby and bought roles to make sausage sandwiches, which were renamed frankfurters - they became "hot dogs" in an anti-German piece of nonsense that swept the U.S. in World War I, when we did not have German music played at concert halls, and sauerkraut was renamed "liberty cabbage" (and schnausers were renamed "liberty dogs"). The ice cream cone had a similar beginning at the St. Louis World's Fair when the seller their was running out of cheap plates to serve his ice cream scoops on, and saw a waffle seller nearby and got some waffles that he turned cone shape for his ice cream. Only difference was that the "ice cream cone" never had it's name changed for stupid super-patriotism.
                We had similar name chaqnges

German Shepherd became Alsatian
                Dachshund = Sausage Dog
                Fritz = Devon

I'm sure there were a lot more.

Didn't USA have similar recently though when French Fries became [or some tried to make them] Freedom Fries

But I don't recall Hamburger changing anywhere.
                G U T

Comment

The knife and fork may have been inspired by the problems that the leader of the opposition, Ed Miliband, had with a bacon sandwich.

DAVID Cameron avoided a repetition of Ed Miliband's bacon sandwich gaffe by handing his wife CUTLERY as she today tucked into the breakfast favourite.

When I was a boy, you could get ice cream in a cone (which we called a cornet) or you could have a wafer - two thin rectangular pieces of biscuit containing a rectangular slab of ice cream. Eating these was a nightmare and wafers now seem defunct.

Comment

I just think he was brave trying a hot dog.... being British and all.. the WORST FOOD I EVER HAD IN MY LIFE was a hot dog in London..I got it from thr truck outside the Royal Albert HAll....I'm an American.. we loves us some hot dogs... and it looked tatsty but WOW....that was TERRIBLE

Steadmund Brand
                    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

the WORST FOOD I EVER HAD IN MY LIFE was a hot dog in London.
                      So you've never been in American fast-food "restaurants", then.

Graham
                      Last edited by Graham; 04-09-2015, 05:39 AM.
                      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                        So you've never been in American fast-food "restaurants", then.

Graham
                        Oh American fast food is 5 STAR next to the thing that was called a hot dog!!

Steadmund Brand
                        "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

What's the most popular name for a dog in korea.......starters
                          Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                            We had similar name chaqnges

German Shepherd became Alsatian
                            Dachshund = Sausage Dog
                            Fritz = Devon

I'm sure there were a lot more.

Didn't USA have similar recently though when French Fries became [or some tried to make them] Freedom Fries

But I don't recall Hamburger changing anywhere.
                            G'Day GUT,

I heard something about "Freedom Fries" recently but I don't recall exactly what it was.

But we did demonstrate a similar idiocy regarding things "Commie" in the Cold War.

No doubt you have eaten salad with "thousand island dressing". Actually it is a version of "Russian" dressing (a bit more pickle bits or such inside it) that was created in the 1950s, like a culinary response to Senator McCarthy's crusade. It (unlike "liberty cabbage") has stayed around and is still sold side by side with Russian Dressing in supermarkets. There were also serious changes in the names of baseball teams (for awhile, the "Cincinatti Reds" had a name shift, but it did not last - fortunately). I'm surprised the "Boston Red Sox" lasted. I'm glad to say that the concert halls did not prohibit performances of Tschaikovski and Moussorgsky like they did Brahms and Wagner in the earlier period.

Jeff

Comment

Wikipedia has Thousand Island and Russian dressings both appearing coterminously around 1910 or so.

I think 'hamburger' never changed because most Americans don't associate the name with the city of Hamburg. 'Burger' has become kind of a generic word for a meat or vegetable patty served in a round bun. Fishburger, chickenburger, and (especially) veggieburger are all commonly used.
                              - Ginger

Comment

Working...
                              X