X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save Norton Folgate!

Please visit this page: http://www.thespitalfieldstrust.com/?page_id=22

Also of interest: http://spitalfieldslife.com/2015/02/...orton-folgate/

The company involved, British Land, were responsible for the destruction of the northern end of Elder Street in the late '70s. I can't use the language I would like to to describe these short term, money grabbing corporate scum who will no doubt receive the backing of Johnson and his City cronies.

They have zero interest in the culture and social history of an area and all they need to succeed and turn this area in to another identikit steel and glass ghetto is for people to stand by and do nothing.
    Post Tenebras Lux

I needed to let off steam in a non-violent way so here it is:

I've greatly reduced the resolution for posting but the Goulston style graffito on the wall says "The Developers are the men that will not be blamed for nothing".

The pedantic may point out, and God knows there are plenty of them on all message boards, that two of the board of directors for British Land are in fact women. But only two out of eleven so I'm claiming artistic license to get my graffito close to the original.
    Post Tenebras Lux

Comment

Well done!! Boo to soulless, greedy developers!!!

Best of luck with this, it's heartbreaking to see history and character concreted over.

Comment

By the way, you don't have to live in Spitalfields or even Tower Hamlets to object to this. Just follow the links in my original post.

Post Tenebras Lux

Comment

Away from Norton Folgate, the developers who intend to knock down the perfectly good buildings on Brushfield Street, despite the local council twice rejecting their application in line with local residents wishes, now want to cut down the mature Plane trees that line the south east end of the street.

Why? Because they're diseased? Because they're a safety risk? No, because it makes their job of demolishing the buildings easier and cheaper.

You don't have to live in London to object to this. Please follow this link to the planning application where you can comment: http://planreg.towerhamlets.gov.uk/W...er=PA/15/00243

No one would argue with the demolition of White's Row car park (Despite it making an excellent viewing platform!) it's an eyesore, but this isn't progress this is vandalism.

The area east of the city is under attack. Norton Folgate, Brushfield Street and the Duke of Wellington pub are all currently under threat. The Mayor's office is planning on creating a "Tech City cluster" running from Norton Folgate to Shoreditch and east to Whitechapel. This will involve removing certain planning restrictions in these areas and demolishing as much as they can get away with.

Take a walk through the City of London at the weekend. It's mostly deserted. That is the future for Spitalfields if we let them get away with it. If you're a fan of glass, steel and concrete you're in for a treat.
          Post Tenebras Lux

Comment

The Gentle Author has announced today that due to protests Examplar, the developers of the Fruit & Wool Exchange, have withdrawn their application to cut down the Plane trees in Brushfield Street.

Your opinion can make a difference.
            Post Tenebras Lux

Comment

Working...
            X