Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Celebrate Valentine's Day in Britain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Celebrate Valentine's Day in Britain?

Probably a stupid question but since I don't know the answer -- Do you Brits celebrate it?

c.d.

The country - yes.

Me - no.

Comment

I love Valentines day I can buy - and eat - large amounts of chocolate without anyone staring
      It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
        The country - yes.

Me - no.
        Thanks for the response and a Happy Valentine's Day to all.

c.d.

Comment

They celebrate it in Aus too, just the bride and I never have, we don't need someone to tell us when we can express how we feel about each other
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
            They celebrate it in Aus too, just the bride and I never have, we don't need someone to tell us when we can express how we feel about each other
            There's nothing like reading sappy sentiment on a site devoted to a notorious serial killer. Jeez, GUT.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
              There's nothing like reading sappy sentiment on a site devoted to a notorious serial killer. Jeez, GUT.

c.d.
              Yeah but we've been together forever, only boyfriend / girlfriend either has had, so we don't know any better.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

That's nice to hear, GUT. You know I was just messing with you. Usually when I read your posts I think you know I bet ole GUT would be a good guy to have a beer with. Who knows, maybe someday we can accomplish that.

c.d.

Comment

Myself and Kelly Brook just had a quiet one this year.

Comment

There's an interesting article on the BBC website about the 19th-century custom of sending insulting Valentines to people who were disliked:
                    Valentine's Day is now an opportunity to woo a sweetheart - but in the 1800s it was a chance for senders to indulge their spite.

Comment

Now there's a custom that needs to be revived!

c.d.
                      Last edited by c.d.; 02-15-2015, 08:38 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

There should have been an indifference card for people towards whom one felt no emotion either way :

Roses are red,
                        Violets are blue.
                        It's Valentine's Day.
                        Who are you?

Comment

It is celebrated somewhat differently in the UK to the USA though.

In the UK people send Valentine's cards to the person they are in a romantic relationship with, or someone they would like to be with. Traditionally the card is anonymous.

Couples also often buy each other little gifts like chocolates, flowers or fluffy toys. It is somewhat more common for a man to do this for a woman than vice versa (make of that what you will).

In the USA people send Valentine's cards to friends and family members too. Small children often give them to classmates and their teachers. Little gifts are also given out too (mainly sweets).

So basically UK sees it as very much about romantic love, and the USA sees it more about love in general, I guess.

And I am sure that card sellers in the USA are happy about that.

Comment

That's nice to hear, GUT. You know I was just messing with you. Usually when I read your posts I think you know I bet ole GUT would be a good guy to have a beer with. Who knows, maybe someday we can accomplish that.

c.d.
                            Thanks for the compliment c.d.
                            G U T

Comment

Oh and I knew you was messing.
                              G U T

Comment

Working...
                              X