No announcement yet.

Tolkien Geeks: Geek Out Here. :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whether he's the actual embodiment of the pre-Melkor music, or an early by-product of it that had, like many primal spirits (Ungoliant, Old Man Willow..), eventually taken on a physical form, I think I'm pretty convinced Tom came into the picture before Arda was solidified. Now, to ponder why he chose the form of a man..

"And her heart was beating" - always struck me as a very odd thing to write. As if, perhaps, her heart hadn't been beating the first time they met, when he treated her as just another tricksy willow-spirit.

Goldberry's mum comes across as something a good deal scarier, and can't leave the river to follow her daughter. So if she's what's left of Nienor, she's well and truly not 'alive' as such, but some kind of lurky water spirit hanging about in the deep roots of Old Man Willow (by whom she might have been 'caught' before Beleriand sank, and maybe Treebeard herded a pile of Huorns and other tree-critters over to the Old Forest. Maybe. (.. see note on OMW below..).

Goldberry's different, however - she *can* leave the river (though she is still bound to it by some seasonally related need, hence the water lilies) and -- maybe -- take on a *more* physical body. That she did so, I think, is what impressed him enough to make her his wife, can't be an easy thing to do. But then, remains the question of why Goldberry can do this, but River-woman cannot. I was thinking, re the Nienor theory, that Goldberry perhaps cut a break because she was an innocent, unborn when Nienor flung herself into the ravine, and technically the curse ended with Turin's death.

Re Old Man Willow.. he's pretty interesting, being that he didn't start out as a tree or an Ent, but was some presumably much older "grey" spirit that came to inhabit a willow tree in some distant epoch, and living in it (like a parasite?) he has "rotted the heart" of the tree. He's the reason (aside from some understandable forest-y angst due to logging) that the Old Forest is so aggressive and hostile, and also "dark", and he appears to have some hefty powers, himself. I think it's at least possible that, in Tasarinen (which he may have even created himself, being the oldest Willow and all) he captured either the living Nienor (much as he did the living hobbits) or her unhappy spirit (being that he's a critter of some considerable power), and of course, Goldberry with her.

adding: and the wistful memory-like dream of one of the hobbits (can't recall which one right now..) associated with Goldberry, of somewhere "greener" might support the willow-migration theory.

I swear, I didn't mean to waffle again, hehehe. Anyway, I totes agree with you, Martin, that there's no way Tolkien threw the potential for these associations around, willynilly. It's also fun to have cause to chase the stories about a bit, isn't it, which I think was also quite intentional.
    Last edited by Ausgirl; 01-21-2015, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Hi Ausgirl

I think of Goldberry like that famous painting 'Ophelia' (which I had to google, being just vaguely aware of a painting of a drowned woman)

It's such a strange passage, why are the Hobbits dressed differently when Tom rescues them from the barrow? why does he say they have been drowned?

I wondered if the forest was part of Doriath of old, within the girdle of Melian, some remnant of which remains?

Interesting point about Treebeard. Isn't there a sighting of an Ent near to the Shire? Perhaps that's what happened to the Entwives, which makes Treebeard's conversation with Merry and Pippin particularly poignant.

I think it's worth pointing out that willows usually overlook the water, and that lilies are traditionally the flower of the dead, but I'm confusing myself ever more so I'm off to read up, what a hardship that is!.

In the meantime, fellow Inklings, who is your favourite Tolkien character?
      mines Gimli, mainly because of the film portrayal.
      All the best.

Comment

Too many years late now but I always thought if they made a movie of Tom Bombadil Patrick Macnee was the perfect choice to play him. This thought is from when I read the Hobbit back in the 70s.

Regarding the Ent wives, Martin Wilson. "Interesting point about Treebeard. Isn't there a sighting of an Ent near to the Shire? Perhaps that's what happened to the Entwives, which makes Treebeard's conversation with Merry and Pippin particularly poignant."

Are you saying they, being seen near the Shire, were cut down to build the Shire?

Comment

Martin, that's not fair, asking for a favourite! It changes every read. And I love them all. Right now, though, probably.... Beren.

Beowulf -- I would never have thought of Macnee for Bombadil! But you know, I think I have to agree with you. Though having grown up a dedicated fan of The New Avengers (I was too young for the original show) I'd probably find the image of Steed singing 'Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!' with vast gusto just too funny for words.

Comment

The Hobbit movies are terrible.

Comment

Let me the first philistine to shout, "No they're not!"

Though there's definitely some cringe inducing moments, I'll give you that.

Comment

Really? I thought I was watching a video-game rather than a film adaptation of a classic children's book.

Comment

Not children's books! Okay, maybe the Hobbit is, somewhat moreso than Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion..

Harry, what actually offends you so about the films, exactly? Not that I intend to contest your opinions, even if I do hold different ones. Different strokes, and all. I'm just curious.

Comment

Hi all

I thought the first one was pretty good, the second overproduced and yeah, the video game comparison is bang on, the third, I thought started well but I wanted to see more of the White Council in Dol Guldur rather than those very protracted fight scenes.
                    I believe Christopher Tolkien has disassociated the Tolkien estate from the Jackson films, ostensibly for going so far off canon, but IIRC there was some problems over royalties.

I'm not sure on my Entwives theory Beowulf (now that was not a bad film) that passage has really thrown me for a loop, if you have read The Silmarillion you can source the various references in LOTR fairly easily, but that part is just plain weird!

All the best.

Comment

Hi all

I should say that Tolkien himself said he thought the Entwives had perished in one of the many wars, but then he includes Hamfast Gamgee's sighting.
                      I am convinced by Ausgirl's theory about Old Man Willow, and Goldberry, it's an unsettling read, despite Tom's nonsense rhyme and the comforts of his house.
                      Possibly Tom was concerned about the malevolence in the Old Forest and asked for the help of the Entwives. but he seems sad to the Hobbits, remembering something from the past, perhaps the destruction of the Entwives and that's why he has retreated to his own little domain.
                      Maybe... I think.
                      All the best.

Comment

Martin - my turn to scurry to the bookshelf! Poor Ents. I've actually never done an in-depth search for the possible fate of the entwives, so this'll be fun.. thanks for yet another excuse to neglect my yardwork. =p

It's been too darn hot for that, anyway, lately. Good book-readin' weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                          The Hobbit movies are terrible.
                          I dont believe the Hobbit movies are terrible; There are two perfectly good movies amongst the detritus of a bloated trilogy. some of the excursions from Tolkiens book, like Gandalf's departure at the Gate of Mirkwood to join the attack on the Necromancer, were welcome; but cuts to endless CGI goblins, and far to much time given over to uninteresting, non canon charcters were not welcome. I wonder how much Studio interference can account for it.
                          SCORPIO

Comment

Hi all

If I was going for a pint, Gimli, If I was going for a pint in a rough pub, definitely Gimli.

Hi Scorpio, I agree, I think Tauriel was simply there for some love interest. I enjoyed reading your stuff, better said than I could.

Ausgirl, there are things growing on my washing up that I'm pretty sure could be classified as a new form of life. I've got the opposite problem, it's bloody freezing!
                            I'm not sure that the events in the Old Forest are even in strict chronological order, as the count of time began with the waxing and waning of the two trees. but I really like the idea of evil underlying the Old Forest, classic Tolkien. although my pre Melkor music theory has gone for a ball of chalk!
                            All the best.

Comment

Let's be honest...the descendants of JRRT have sold the film rights for a handsome amount...they have literally sold their birthright to the mighty dollar...they therefore have no right, moral or otherwise, to criticise what Hollywood has made of the books...so Christopher and all the rest need to step back and shut the **** up.

As it happens, I personally think Hollywood has made a fantastic job of LOTR...far better than I'd have expected...The Hobbit? Well, they've stretched it out a bit, and I'm not so sure, but I'll tell you more when I've watched the third and final part...for me it rather hangs in the balance...

All the best

Dave

Comment

On the subject of Entwives don't forget that there was a 2nd tree race, Huorns. They were the ones who marched with the Ents to battle. Old Man Willow was also one of them. This is most likely who Hamfast saw (or one of the Huorns at least). Sadly, I think the Entwives disappeared with their Gardens when they were destroyed.

Comment

Working...
                                X