X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
    really hard for me to make a list.
    I am no musician.

There are bass men whom I loved their sound, others whom I loved their style/virtuosity, and others whom I loved the way they innovated.

The sounds I enjoyed: John Paul Jones, Geezer Butler, Jack Bruce, Flea, Bill Wyman, Simon Raymonde and probably more that I'm forgetting at the moment.

All I can say is, the 80's (1980, ripperologists, 1-9-8-0) were a bad decade for rythm sections in pop/rock music.

Hate to disagree but the '80's were just a S#!7 decade for music full stop.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Just to gly the flag a little Australia had a couple of pretty good bassists too.

Doc Neeson may have lead that list.

But Glenn Wheatley, who is more famous as the manager of Johnny Farnham started his music career on Bass.

And a non Australian who made Bass open to females had to be Suzy Q, not that she was great player but she opened it up to a whole generation of women, who until then were little more than singers keyboard players and occasionally guitarists.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I just realized that I left Jim Lea off my list.... shame on me, and Roger Waters as well...(well... maybe as a bass player I would leave Waters off the top 10... but not by much)

Steadmund Brand
        "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

James Jamerson.

No Jamerson, no Motown.

Comment

Originally posted by Livia View Post
            James Jamerson.

No Jamerson, no Motown.
            yep... I had Jamerson on my list as well.. same with Donald Dunn, without Dunn no Stax records (who I feel were better then Motown....just my opinion but i'll take Stax anyday....Booker T, Otis Redding, Sam & Dave, Albert King, Wilson Pickett, Isaac Hayes, even Elvis worked with Stax!!!)

Steadmund Brand
            "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Working...
            X