RIP Jack Bruce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Jack Bruce

If was wasn't the greatest Bassist of the rock era he was darn close.

Together with Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker they made up the "Super Group" Cream.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Yes, a pity that he's gone.

Comment

I saw Cream twice back in the Sixties, and prior to that other bands that Jack Bruce was performing with. He was I think first and foremost a jazz musician, and when he and Ginger Baker really got going poor old Eric Clapton could only carry on regardless. Bruce was classically trained, and originally played string bass in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. If he wasn't the greatest bassist of the rock era, then who was?

My dvd of the Cream Reunion Concert at Royal Albert Hall still gets played very regularly, even though it's fairly obvious that Jack was not a well man at the time. A great loss.

Graham
      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
        I saw Cream twice back in the Sixties, and prior to that other bands that Jack Bruce was performing with. He was I think first and foremost a jazz musician, and when he and Ginger Baker really got going poor old Eric Clapton could only carry on regardless. Bruce was classically trained, and originally played string bass in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. If he wasn't the greatest bassist of the rock era, then who was?

My dvd of the Cream Reunion Concert at Royal Albert Hall still gets played very regularly, even though it's fairly obvious that Jack was not a well man at the time. A great loss.

Graham
        G'day Graham

Jack himself once said that it was Macca.

The big difference is that Jack always wanted to be a Bassist, Paul ended up there by default.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

RIP Jack

I was lucky enough to go see the Cream reunion in New York..for a guy was unwell, he was amazing that night... wish I saw them at the Royal Albert hall...I did get to the Royal Albert Hall once to see Clapton in 2009 (most expensive concert ticket ever.. if you count airfare and hotel etc....going to London just for a concert from Buffalo New York.. it was an adventure!!)

as far as the best bassit... only person I would put above Jack Bruce is the late John Entwistle... who I was once lucky enough to meet.. fantastic guy!!

Steadmund Brand--
          "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
            G'day Graham

Jack himself once said that it was Macca.

The big difference is that Jack always wanted to be a Bassist, Paul ended up there by default.
            i'd like to see evidence of that, mate! Sounds spurious to me. Macca was an OK musician, but never a great one.

Graham
            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

i'd like to see evidence of that, mate! Sounds spurious to me. Macca was an OK musician, but never a great one.

Graham
              G'day Graham

Well here's a lnk where he says that that the best Bass players are "Jamerson, McCartney, Pastorius and me" I'll find the one where he narrows it down even further.

G U T

Comment

RIP but I hope this turns into a favorite bassists thread. My favorite bassists are Duff McKagan and Lemmy.

Comment

If he wasn't the greatest bassist of the rock era, then who was?
                  John Paul Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Zeppelin View Post
                    John Paul Jones.
                    Wow.. Shocking with that screen name hahaha

I would have to say my #1 is set, 2-10 is not in any order...

1- John Entwistle
                    2- Nathan East
                    3-James Jamerson
                    4- Mike Rutherford (very underrated as a bass player)
                    5- Jack Bruce
                    6-Greg Lake
                    7-Larry Graham
                    8- John Paul Jones
                    9-Donald Dunn
                    10-Willie Weeks
                    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

G'day Steadmund

Not a bad list but 'd bump Jack up a few notches. But can't argue with Entwistle it's really so subjective
                      G U T

Comment

[QUOTE=GUT;318665]G'day Steadmund

Not a bad list but 'd bump Jack up a few notches. But can't argue with Entwistle it's really so subjective[/QU

Hello there GUT... as I said 2-10 are not in order.. so Jack could be #2 or he could be #10 not telling hahaha, truth is I was just listing people off the top of my head.. didn't take the time for order.. I'm sure I left off a few folks I should have added.... what did you think of the rest of the list?

Steadmund Brand-

Comment

really hard for me to make a list.
                          I am no musician.

There are bass men whom I loved their sound, others whom I loved their style/virtuosity, and others whom I loved the way they innovated.

The sounds I enjoyed: John Paul Jones, Geezer Butler, Jack Bruce, Flea, Bill Wyman, Simon Raymonde and probably more that I'm forgetting at the moment.

All I can say is, the 80's (1980, ripperologists, 1-9-8-0) were a bad decade for rythm sections in pop/rock music.
                          Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                          - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

... as I said 2-10 are not in order..
                            I missed that bit.
                            G U T

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                              Originally posted by GUT View Post
                              G'day Steadmund

Not a bad list but 'd bump Jack up a few notches. But can't argue with Entwistle it's really so subjective
                              Hello there GUT... as I said 2-10 are not in order.. so Jack could be #2 or he could be #10 not telling hahaha, truth is I was just listing people off the top of my head.. didn't take the time for order.. I'm sure I left off a few folks I should have added.... what did you think of the rest of the list?

Steadmund Brand-
                              I'd certainly Have Rutherford, Jones and Lake on my list.
                              G U T

Comment

Working...
                              X