Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help

I was wondering of one of you wonderfully clever people, Catholic or no, could answer this simple question for me: Who is the patron saint of hangmen (or possibly executioners) if there is one.

Thank you
    “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Patron Saint of Hangmen

Hi,

St. Eloi is the patron saint of hangmen.

He also presides over coachmen and nail makers.

Hope this helps you.

Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda View Post
      Hi,

St. Eloi is the patron saint of hangmen.

He also presides over coachmen and nail makers.

Hope this helps you.

Amanda
      Amanda, you are wonderful! Thank you!
      I'm working a series of stories based around a freelance executioner and I wanted to have a social club/professional society for him to belong to--like the Garrick Club or the Explorers' Club. Naming it after the appropriate saints seemed a natural, but that information has been stubbornly difficult to unearth.

Comment

Actually it is a classy kind of idea, but couldn't you call it the "Calcraft Club"?

Comment

Hey Magpie,

I'm Catholic but had no idea there's a patron saint of hangmen!

I find it very interesting that Saint Eloi does double duty as patron saint of both "Hangmen" and "Nail Makers"... as in "coffin nails". I kind of see the connection though.

Maybe "coachmen" includes divers of horse-drawn funeral coaches?

I remember a funny cartoon in a book called "Growing Up Catholic" or something. There's a class of little kids and a nun is drilling them on their Patron Saints knowledge, yelling out random themes like "Earthquakes!" while the kids yell back in a chorus, "Saint Emydius!"

(For all you non-Catholics, the cartoon was a JOKE. I never heard of any kids being tested on their knowledge of patron saints.)

The one that confuses me is Saint Christopher. He used to be the patron saint of Travelers, but I heard he got demoted...not sure why, or by whom. Guess he's kind of like poor Pluto, who can no longer call itself a Planet.

Best regards,
          Archaic

Comment

Actually, Bunny, I believe Pluto has been reinstated.

Comment

Goofy

Hello Robert.

"I believe Pluto has been reinstated."

What a Goofy idea. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

The one that confuses me is Saint Christopher. He used to be the patron saint of Travelers, but I heard he got demoted...not sure why, or by whom. Guess he's kind of like poor Pluto, who can no longer call itself a Planet.

Are you sure, I though St Chris was still looking after wanderers, I know that they still sell St Christopher medals.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                  Hello Robert.

"I believe Pluto has been reinstated."

What a Goofy idea. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                  LC
                  don't think that they know what to de with Pluto, one minute a planet the next not then a planet agan, then some other stupid title, then a planet, no wonder he was such a foolish little puppy.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                    Actually it is a classy kind of idea, but couldn't you call it the "Calcraft Club"?
                    That's an excellent suggestion. Maybe I could name the physical clubhouse in London The Calcraft." Food for thought.

Comment

Thank you. Feel free to use it.

If there is a dining room it could be called the "Berry Room". The library could be named the "Marwood Reading Room".

Comment

The rooms could be decorated with various tapestries and hangings.

The serving hatch from the kitchen was filled in when a French chef leaned his head through it, with unfortunate results.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                          The rooms could be decorated with various tapestries and hangings.

The serving hatch from the kitchen was filled in when a French chef leaned his head through it, with unfortunate results.
                          I always wondered where the term "dumbwaiter" came from.

Thanks Robert.

Bunny

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                            Are you sure, I though St Chris was still looking after wanderers, I know that they still sell St Christopher medals.
                            They do still sell Saint Christopher medals. I love the 1920s versions, that feature a 'Model A' Ford or an open roadster that looks like a jalopy.

But think about it. When was the last time you wandered around in a parking lot, unable to remember where you parked your car?

See? Demoted for sure.

Archaic

Comment

But think about it. When was the last time you wandered around in a parking lot, unable to remember where you parked your car?

Ummmm Yesterday, or was that today, I've forgotten.
                              G U T

Comment

Working...
                              X