English Devolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English Devolution

After considering the words of D Cameron after the Scottish referendum, would an increased degree of autonomy for the English regions be useful
    or necessary?
    Northerners and Midlanders like to grumble about London and the politicians unhealthy osession with the place; They dont get as worked into a froth as the Scottish, but they still do. The locals in my own corner of England Regard the City as an Anglo Saxon version of New York: Expensive,crime ridden and egocentric.
    Mercia and Northhumbria were kingdoms in there own right once; England was created out of political necessity a little later,which is a bit like the UK really.
    Incidentally, part of me wanted Scotland to seperate so i would not have to use that offensive term ' United Kingdom ' anymore; i really can not stand the term, and cringe whenever some unctious Royalist spouts it.
    SCORPIO

G'day Scorpio

May I ask why you hate the term so much?
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

It has nothing to do with the relations of the nations within it. The term pretty much typifies everything that i dont like about my country; ingrained snobbery and
      a nauseating, sentimental brand of conservatism.
      This maybe sounds a bit OTT, but its the way i feel.
      Last edited by Scorpio; 09-20-2014, 11:48 PM.
      SCORPIO

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpio View Post
        It has nothing to do with the relations of the nations within it. The term pretty much typifies everything that i dont like about my country; ingrained snobbery and
        a nauseating, sentimental brand of conservatism.
        This maybe sounds a bit OTT, but its the way i feel.
        I just don't see how the name UK typifies ingrained snobbery etc any more than say USA UAE or for that matter any other name. But to each their own.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I think it's the ' Kingdom ' bit that does it.
          What a ridiculous thing for a 21'st century Democracy to call itself.
          SCORPIO

Comment

Working...
          X