X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland

Says NO
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

How the times change. William Wallace might be spinning in his grave, but I guess "independence" and "freedom" are not as closely linked as they were in his day. Being part of the U.K. doesn't mean Scotland isn't a free country anymore.

Comment

Thank God common sense has prevailed yes would have been a total disaster for all concerned
      Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

William Wallace might be spinning in his grave
        Which grave? As he was hanged, drawn and quartered for being nasty to us English, he was buried in several different places.

But seriously, I hope the result of the referendum, and the very definite "NO" vote, might once and for all put an end to the stupid "We hate the English" mind-set many Scots still have. But I'm not holding my breath. The result will also bring changes as far as England, Wales and Northern Ireland are concerned, in terms of devolution. Or so says Big Dave Cameron (himself of Scottish descent). For a start, no Scots Members of Parliament voting on matters which concern only England.

The simple fact is that a country with a population less than that of Greater London would have found it difficult or even impossible to survive alone. And had Scotland gained independence, then that would have fuelled the equally silly independence for Flanders and Catalonia movements, and probably others as well.

Graham
        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Hi Graham

Personally I'm glad they're staying, though I wish the result had been more decisive.

However, I don't think there's anything inherently silly about Scots wanting independence. What's silly is to vote Yes to independence, but still want to stay in the EU.

Comment

Hi Robert,

I think it's silly when nationalism smothers the sometimes harsh practicalities of independence. I'm glad the Scots listened to businessmen, financiers and industrialists who warned of the potential and real dangers of independence.
            Anyway, my future supplies of single-malt are now guaranteed, or at least I hope so.

Graham
            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
              Which grave? As he was hanged, drawn and quartered for being nasty to us English, he was buried in several different places.

Graham
              I thought about that actually. Figure of speech.

Comment

But seriously, I hope the result of the referendum, and the very definite "NO" vote, might once and for all put an end to the stupid "We hate the English" mind-set many Scots still have. But I'm not holding my breath. The result will also bring changes as far as England, Wales and Northern Ireland are concerned, in terms of devolution. Or so says Big Dave Cameron (himself of Scottish descent). For a start, no Scots Members of Parliament voting on matters which concern only England.

The simple fact is that a country with a population less than that of Greater London would have found it difficult or even impossible to survive alone. And had Scotland gained independence, then that would have fuelled the equally silly independence for Flanders and Catalonia movements, and probably others as well.

Graham
                G'day Graham

Put an end to it

In Aus the "Republic" debate gets fired up again and again and again, then they hold a referendum which is soundly defeated anbd then it starts all over again.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Vive le republique!

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post
                    Vive le republique!
                    G'day Belinda

Personally I don't give a rats, we live in the greatest country on God's Green Earth and so far the pollys haven't been able to stuff it up too bad.

My only point is I get sick of it all being dragged up over and over again. They had a vote, the people spoke leave it for while then have another crack if they want.

Just this week there was a joker on the radio, called himself an Auserican wanting to re-open the flag debate, yep Scotland was the excuse. If he can't call himself an Aussie [no matter that he was born in USA] he should, in my opnion pull his head in.

But all I want to really say is I am so bloody glad I'm Dinky Di.
                    G U T

Comment

Personally I don't give a rats, we live in the greatest country on God's Green Earth
                      So just how long did you actually spend visiting every other country on God's green earth in order to make a comparison?

Graham

Comment

Graham
                        I agree completely. I can sympathise with people in Scotland who feel they have been short-changed, but no more so than with people in England or Wales who feel the same.

Comment

Working...
                        X