Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meeting me for the first time is like...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meeting me for the first time is like...

Greetings and salutations, ladies and gentlemen,

I'm Dictionary Brown, Encyclopedia Brown's stupider younger brother!

The news of Aaron Kosminsky being identified as Jack the Ripper led me to this website, as it seems to have for so many others recently. I've browsed the Casebook briefly in the past, but only now have decided to join the forum and attempt to engage with the sleuths that populate these boards.

Hello!

My interest in Jack the Ripper has been mainly through the alleged Maybrick diary. I've been informally following any new developments on the diary since it first came to light. I check in every few years to catch up on the current research, so I've been reading diary related threads with great interest over the past few days. This one was especially good:

One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary

The spirited debate from all sides is fantastic, and the amount of research being done by the members of this forum is greatly appreciated. There has been a lot to learn here, not just about the case, but also about critical thinking and human nature.

I have to say that I've now gone all the way from a total skeptic on the diary and am presently about 90% of the way to believing it is genuine. It blows my mind to say that, because part of me will probably always remain skeptical. There are too many folks so wedded to their personal suspect (or desperate for the case to remain unsolved) that it causes them not to assess any evidence with an open mind. But, I have to admit that the diary has passed all the informal benchmarks I had personally set for it way back in the 1990's, and then some.

Anyway, I hope to start a new thread in the Maybrick section of Suspects soon, detailing how my thinking evolved in more detail. Hopefully it will spark some discussion.

I am aware that discussions of the diary can bring out a lot of emotions here, so I promise that I will do my very best to have a thin skin, respond in a heated manner to all sorts of innocuous posts, make vicious personal attacks whenever possible, and just generally be a humorless pain in the neck.

After all, WWJTRD?

G'day DB

Welcome aboard.

Look forward to your new thread, and why you now believe in the diary, but duck when you post it.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hi DB,

Welcome to Casebook! Hurry up with your new thread on the Diary!

Carol

Comment

I might be of some use because I've met Mike Barrett lots of times over the years.
        Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Thanks everyone! I really do appreciate the welcome.

I just now posted the thread My journey from skeptic to believer and for such a long post, I could have gone on for much longer. But it's a start, I think.

It will be fun to meet you all and hopefully share thoughts and information over the coming weeks and months.

Comment

just saying Hi as I too am an Encyclopedia Brown fan

Comment

Working...
            X