Any Punk Fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Punk Fans?

For some self-destructive reason I have become interested in early U.S. punk. Anybody like old-school punk? And can anyone tell me the stylistic differences between this and the original punk from across the pond?

I suspect London Boys by Johnny Thunders is a bit biased.

The only Punk I like is "Punk IPA" - It's 8% ABV and one of the most heavily hopped and fruity IPAs I ever came across...at £1.97 for a 300ml bottle it ain't that dear really - wonderful on a drowsy Summer Sunday...

Comment

never mind the bollocks

If ever a band could appeal to kids then it was the sex pistols your parents made a point in telling you not to buy their records the press made out that society would collapse because of them and to release "God save the queen "during the silver jubilee pure genius.To have a lead singer called Johnny rotten and bass player called Sid vicious who both looked and acted like they would bring down society fantastic and the music was pretty good as well.The only downside to the sex pistols was that lots of people at school ended up with blood posioning due to trying to pierce ears with safety pins happy days.
      Last edited by pinkmoon; 08-05-2014, 03:03 PM.
      Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

When I was at school ear piercing was done with a compass point sterilized through the Bunsen burner, it would cauterize the wound too.

Parent saying that a musician would end society has been a perennial, The Beatles, The Stones, I even found a similar reference to Beethoven.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
          When I was at school ear piercing was done with a compass point sterilized through the Bunsen burner, it would cauterize the wound too.

Parent saying that a musician would end society has been a perennial, The Beatles, The Stones, I even found a similar reference to Beethoven.
          But the big difference with the pistols was they looked and acted like they would end society!I must admit the stones who are another favourite of mine (I own most of their cds) were given a very rough ride by the press .
          Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Hello Barnaby,

>> ... can anyone tell me the stylistic differences between this and the original punk from across the pond? <<

I've always thought the American forerunners of Punk were more music motivated, whereas the British bands were more a social phenomenon.

Who was the first Punk band? MC5's? The Stooges, obviously where a huge influence. New York Dolls and Wayne County and the Electric Chairs, I know directly influenced the first Brit bands.
            dustymiller
            aka drstrange

Comment

Hi Dr. Strange,

Love the New York Dolls. Also really like the Dead Boys first album. Wayne County I don't like. The others you mention I will check out.

Edit: I forgot to mention the Ramones!

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                If ever a band could appeal to kids then it was the sex pistols your parents made a point in telling you not to buy their records the press made out that society would collapse because of them and to release "God save the queen "during the silver jubilee pure genius.To have a lead singer called Johnny rotten and bass player called Sid vicious who both looked and acted like they would bring down society fantastic and the music was pretty good as well.The only downside to the sex pistols was that lots of people at school ended up with blood posioning due to trying to pierce ears with safety pins happy days.
                I still can't get over that Sid Vicious's mom killed him with a heroin overdose...

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
                  I still can't get over that Sid Vicious's mom killed him with a heroin overdose...
                  Well you always try and do the best for your kids

Comment

So have you ever fallen in love with somebody you shouldn't have fallen in love with?
                    There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

I think Polly Styrene had the true punk spirit. Make one album, go and do something else.

Comment

She got tired of that saxophone player.

Comment

Not that much into '77 punk as it's too poppy for my metallic taste, but the heavier hardcore of the 80's (Discharge, DK, Black Flag, Kaaos, etc) I like.

Comment

Working...
                          X