Great Gig Tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Gig Tonight

You can’t beat a great night watching your favourite artist or band but it’s especially rewarding if you see someone that you wouldn’t normally have gone to see. As many know on here my main musical tastes are in rock, heavy metal and progressive rock. Though I like an array of other stuff (Dylan, Jazz, classical, ambient stuff etc). Tonight I attended a gig with my brother basically because he’d bought a ticket for his partner and she wasn’t keen on going so I stepped in. The band was Squeeze at the Birmingham Symphony Hall. The last band that I’d seen there was Yes (one of my favourite bands) I only know a few Squeeze songs (or so I thought) and so I expected an ok, decent gig.

The support act was Badly Drawn Boy who is a one man singer songwriter who I’d never heard before. I’d heard of him though because years ago I’d read my younger brother’s NME and Melody Maker and he was always in. He was very good. Squeeze however were fantastic. Eight people in the line-up with Glen Tilbrook and Chris Difford being the only original members. But what a great band. Superb musicians, quality songs and great vocals from (mainly) Tilbrook. I was amazed at how many songs that I recognised. There’s obviously a reason why Squeeze have been going for 50 years this year. Quality lasts.

I’ll certainly be checking out some Squeeze on Spotify. I only wish that I’d checked them out years ago although I do remember having Cool For Cats as a single on pink vinyl. If you get the chance to see them…go for it.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

cool for cats - Google Search
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

A trip through the time tunnel has a lot to recommend it.

Comment

Hi Herlock - glad you enjoyed the gig. When I was at college back in the mid to late '70s, Squeeze were massively popular and certainly my favourite group.

Just been refreshing my memory on the net. Disappointing and perhaps surprising to read that they never had a single top the charts. Cool for Cats and Up the Junction both peaked at number 2. Shocked that the wonderful Pulling Mussels (From the Shell) never reached higher than number 44.

Following your recommendation, I'll try to catch them in concert.

Best regards,
        OneRound

PS It took a while to get there but I've hitchhiked from a lay-by in Bedfordshire and am now about to enter a dance hall in Glasgow.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
          You can’t beat a great night watching your favourite artist or band but it’s especially rewarding if you see someone that you wouldn’t normally have gone to see. As many know on here my main musical tastes are in rock, heavy metal and progressive rock. Though I like an array of other stuff (Dylan, Jazz, classical, ambient stuff etc). Tonight I attended a gig with my brother basically because he’d bought a ticket for his partner and she wasn’t keen on going so I stepped in. The band was Squeeze at the Birmingham Symphony Hall. The last band that I’d seen there was Yes (one of my favourite bands) I only know a few Squeeze songs (or so I thought) and so I expected an ok, decent gig.

The support act was Badly Drawn Boy who is a one man singer songwriter who I’d never heard before. I’d heard of him though because years ago I’d read my younger brother’s NME and Melody Maker and he was always in. He was very good. Squeeze however were fantastic. Eight people in the line-up with Glen Tilbrook and Chris Difford being the only original members. But what a great band. Superb musicians, quality songs and great vocals from (mainly) Tilbrook. I was amazed at how many songs that I recognised. There’s obviously a reason why Squeeze have been going for 50 years this year. Quality lasts.

I’ll certainly be checking out some Squeeze on Spotify. I only wish that I’d checked them out years ago although I do remember having Cool For Cats as a single on pink vinyl. If you get the chance to see them…go for it.
          Oh, that sounds like a great gig Herlock!

I always loved this Badly Drawn Boy video with Joan Collins:

It's a blast from the past!

It's nice to hear that Squeeze have still got it too!

Comment

Ho OneRound and Ms D.

There was one issue about last night that I didn’t mention. I’ve always had a fear of heights and it’s got worse as I’ve got older. I only have to see the camera on TV looking from a height or see someone high up and my toes curl up. Last night’s seats were in a high balcony around 3 rows back. As soon as I sat down (just as Badly Drawn Boy was walking onstage) my whole body tensed up. I found myself pushing back in the seat. Everywhere I looked I saw a huge drop. I even began to shake. The only way that I could combat it was to close my eyes. I told my brother that I had to go and stand at the side. I even struggled to edge past the eight seats on the row as people stood up to leave a narrow pathway. When I got the side an usher saw me and asked if I was ok. She offered to get medical help as we went through the side door but I said that I’d be ok in a couple of minutes. She made a phone call and my brother and I were relocated downstairs to the Duty Managers unused seats at ground level. We saw the last 15 or 20 minutes of Badly Drawn Boy before the break.

It was all a bit embarrassing and totally weird. No more balconies for me. From where we eventually sat I looked up and noticed that there was a balcony above the one that we were originally on. People were standing close to the edge dancing. I couldn’t look.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Chris Difford’s book is a great read, especially his anecdotes about when he was summoned to write lyrics for Brian Ferry.
              Very funny.

Last edited by Yabs; Today, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Cheers Yabs
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                X